Book 3 | Ch. 9 - Confrontation With Denial

As time passed on, myself-.. no, not myself but that thing changed. It was more animalistic, bloodthirsty and craving for something. The eyes grew darker and darker, hollowing out in comparison to the abyss around. It's bones began to protrude out of its skin exposing them to the outside, it growled and drooled everywhere screaming at me with malicious intent.

"GIVE IT TO ME~! IT BELONGS TO ME AND MYSELF ALONE, WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME LIKE THIS!"

All I could do was stare from above as that thing tried to reach me to no avail. It let out a horrific screech after screech causing my ears to endure the noises being made before it began to leap higher into the air. The closer it got the more inhumane it became sending shivers down my spine. This time I had to do something for if left alone who knows what or how strong and deformed it will be. I dived in putting my spear in the forefront of my attack aimed for the thing down on the surface. I enchanted my weapon with energy surrounding it in a layer of potent aura that can cut boulders and shut my eyes. The sheer fact was that I was afraid of what I was battling against, my spear was my eyes while I was the wearer. I couldn't accept it, the fact that what I was facing now with hollowed sunken eyes was in fact me. Hunter always reprimanded us when we were first training with him.. "Never turn your eyes away from the battlefield."

I broke that rule for the first time. It was my way of expressing myself to this creature.. no-. Me, that I couldn't accept it. It's hideous form, excessive amounts of greed and the dramatic way he was portrayed were all in the end derived from me. Deep down this was what I felt inside, there were always hints of it throughout my journey with Hunter. But here, here its forcing me to go against it, facing off against my jealousy of others. Always overshadowed by others and compared by those to the ones who outshine me. I already know that.. I just haven't fully came to terms with it and here is the source of it. What 'that' thing is. By memories it doesn't even refer to it by me taking something. It's what others have that I don't. My greed and jealousy took form and tried to overthrow my tenacious mind for the well-being for others. That is why I refuse to even get a second glance before killing it. I vow that I won't succumb to those emotions, not ever. When I opened my eyes there was a complete gaping hole large enough to fit a large rock inside it filled with my unbridled emotions. It fell back with blood gushing out from the hole and the bones sticking out letting out a single last cry before mentioning something truly skin crawling.

"..."

"..."

"... Why?"

It muttered with its dying few breaths prompting me to turn my back away from it.

"𝒲𝒽𝓎.. 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝐼 𝒷𝑜𝓇𝓃?"

"𝒲𝒽𝓎 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝐼 𝓂𝑒𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝓊𝒻𝒻𝑒𝓇-... 𝐼𝓉'𝓈 𝓈𝑜 𝓾𝓷𝓯𝓪𝓲𝓻.. 𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝑔-.."

Before it could even finish what he was saying ashes took form from his flesh and sent him to the abyss. Goosebumps ran all around my body, electrifying was the closest thing I felt hearing those words. "𝒲𝒽𝓎.. 𝓌𝒶𝓈 𝐼 𝒷𝑜𝓇𝓃?". What he said with his last breath stuck onto me hearing it from none other than myself. It hit me in the chest harder than I expected. Why was I born? I never really gave it thought even when I was little stuck in the orphanage, I was just... there. That's when I knew I had lost the battle against myself. It fought for my selfish reasons and spited those who had everything but nothing to fight for. Despite it's ugliness and tainted side it was just as righteous in its own eyes as I would be. It fought till the bitter end only to question his existence. Will I be the same then? Will I fail to find what I want to do in life? From that point on I knew I wasn't ready. The clone had won. It wasn't meant to defeat me nor meant to even harm me. All it needed to be victorious was to have me wake up to the realization of my inner self and the hardship that will follow to reach what I desire. Even then... will I be satisfied or will my hunger for more drive me to aim higher?