Book 2 | Ch. 10 - The Man Shrouded In Mystery

The skies turned dark as the stars shined like glitter with the two sitting beside one another, their breaths visible from the cold wind breezing by.

"Hey, are you okay?"

He asked with him going his way to face him and gave a nod as he smiled a little.

"Yeah, I guess I am. You did well today. This was your first time doing something like this and yet you did an outstanding job."

He complimented brightening up a little more.

"Thanks, it was no big deal though, this is what I am supposed to be doing right? Saving people. But I think it's a good thing we got attacked. If it wasn't for that squid then none of this would've happened. I learned a few things from this experience.."

Cloudy told him looking down as he continued to speak.

"...And that's what I really want to know. Why do we always have to rely on others when things go wrong. I mean, it's not like our lives depend on them either. We could just leave them to die if we wanted to but instead of leaving them to the mercy of others, why don't we just take matters into our own hands. We're strong enough to be able to do that much.. right? You completely torn that big squid monster on your own. So why did everyone fear for their lives knowing there was still a chance to live? I never gave in and neither did you."

He questioned as Hunter looked up at him with his eyes wide in surprise.

"...There's one thing you are wrong about."

"Hm? What's that?"

"I did give in. I'm choosing to be honest with you because you can handle the truth. You are honest and logical. No matter the situation as long as there is hope you won't falter. I-...*sigh* -I almost died fighting the mother squid. It dragged me deep underwater and... when everything seemed too difficult I told myself, Why keep on going? I was content with my life and how far I went. And that is where your questions come into play. Humans band together for comfort, power and most importantly control. When despair creeps into the crowds there is bound to be panic, disarray and chaos."

"That's not what I was trying-."

Cloudy was shut down with a question they've all been asking since day one.

"Who do you think I really am Cloudy?"

Hunter muttered to him seriously with the night breezing suddenly coming to a stop. The way he spoke and the tone that was made, made Cloudy reconsider many theories he had built up over the past months they've known one another. His shoulders tensed up as his face contorted slightly from the words Hunter spewed. He watched the way his scarlet iris's would reflect his image, and how brutally honest his expression was. The mood was tense and he knew that fully well. He couldn't say anything as if his tongue was caught and twisted. With one glance Cloudy gazed at him with one hundred percent of his attention with a expression that made Hunter face the other direction. Only silence ensued for an entire ten minutes before Hunter continued the conversation.

"Maybe you know a bit of the answer. That's a possibility. But I promise you that I'm only just a single human being. One day you may look at me differently and that is what scares me more than anything. One day when I'm not around, you will find pieces of my story documented and even told. Now.. that begs the question. Why did I choose to be alone if I would get said comfort, power and control? Because when all else fails I would be just as helpless as the others. Cowering, hiding, fleeing. I refuse to be like that. When all else fails I want to be someone who can still fight even when the rest turn their backs on me. Why you ask? ...You'll find out one day why I said that knowing you."

Hunter shifted his body away from the water and planted his feet onto the wooden floor as he began to walk away reminding Cloudy of a very important point.