𝖿᥆r𝗍ᥡ-sᥱ᥎ᥱᥒ - mᥲ𝗍𝗍ᥱ᥆

3

I stood before the mirror, tightening the black tie around my neck.  Ethan was behind me putting on his suit jacket.

The day I'd been dreading had finally come.

It was Brielle's funeral.

As much as I tried to convince myself that she was alive, I knew it was just false hope.

"You okay?" Ethan asked for what seemed like the billionth time today.  And for what seemed like the billionth time today, I nodded in response.

"I'm gonna go get Faye," I announced.  Ethan nodded and watched as I left my bedroom.

I knocked on her door and listened for the quiet, "Come in," before walking inside.

Faye was lying in her bed, still in her pajamas.

"What are you doing?  We have to go."

"Go where?"

"Brielle's funeral," I told her hurriedly, rushing to her closet to find a black dress.

"But Brielle's not dead."

I sighed, setting my head against the wall.  I knew she was still in denial, but I really needed to hurry.

"Okay, fine.  Can you just go anyway?"

She groaned but nodded anyway.  Fay pushed me out of the way and grabbed her outfit and waited for me to leave the room.

I rushed down the stairs, calling for Ethan as I passed my room.  We only had an hour to get to the venue and I wanted to get there early, so I could meet her parents and send them my condolences.

As much as I hated her parents for what they put her through, I knew they were still grieving and it would make me even worse if I were to rub it in their faces.  They had to be going through so much right now and it wasn't my place to add more to that

Faye finally came walking down the stairs.  She didn't bother fixing her bedhead or anything, but I didn't have it in me to care.

I quickly led us all out to the car.  Ethand slipped into the passage seat and Faye got into the back.  I drive to the venue knowing I probably broke a couple of laws.

I finally pulled into the funeral home and rushed to a parking spot.  I had barely stopped when I opened my door and got out. 

I didn't know why I was in such a rush.  We were about 45 minutes early, but it felt like I was late.  Like I was too late to say goodbye to her.

There were only two cars in the parking lot.  I walked up to the doors and tried to open them.  They were locked. 

I pounded on the doors, wanting, needing them to let me in.  I needed to say goodbye.  I need her to know that I love her.  I need her to know that she's safe.  I can't do that from the outside.  I can't help from the outside.

Ethan came up behind me and grabbed y arms.  I tried to yank away but his grip was too strong.

"You're gonna hurt yourself.  They'll let you in in a bit, you just need to wait.  Everything will still be there, Matteo.  It will all be okay.  You just need time"

"I can't wait," I insisted, "I need to talk to her. I want to say goodbye.  Ethan, let me say goodbye." my eyes welled with more tears, but I didn't want to cry.  I'd been doing so much of it lately that I had;t even recognized myself.

"You can say goodbye.  When they open the doors you'll be able to tell her, but for now, all you can do is wait."

I nodded and sat on the sidewalk near the door.  Ethan sat beside me.  He wrapped his arm around me and placed his hand on my head, guiding me down to rest myself on his shoulder.  His fingers absentmindedly played with my hair.