sixty six

66|FORGIVENESS HAS TO BE EARNED

Marigold sat on her bed, knees tucked under her chin as she stared boredly at the band posters on her wall. Her eyes trailed over the band members, admiring each of each band

"You okay?" Eric paused in his steps as he wandered past her open door, glancing with worry at his cousin. "Oh no, are your moods coming back?"

"I'm okay, Eric." Goldie chuckled softly, lifting up her head as he sat on the edge of her bed. "I'm just thinking."

"A Forman that thinks, that's even worse." He joked before turning serious. "Goldie, what's actually wrong? I know you well enough to know this is more than losing Granddad."

"I guess the sudden realisation of everything just hit me." She sighed, leaning her chin back against her knees. "I am a total fucking dumbass. I slept with someone who had a girlfriend, Eric. I am no better than Grace Dune."

"Oh shit." Eric's eyes widened at the mention of the name. "Goldie, you are not the woman who killed your parents. You are far better than she will ever be. Hyde will hate me for this but he is more like your father than you are of the mistress."

"Maybe that's why I took him back." Goldie said mockingly. "Like mother like daughter."

"Your mother was an intelligent woman and would be proud of how far you've come." He  placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Please don't ever think you're anything but amazing."

"Thank you." The two cousins quickly embraced before Eric left her alone, promising to check on her again later.

Marigold forced herself out of her bed, grabbing clothes for the day and heading to the bathroom, washing away the negative emotions of the morning. She tied her wet hair back, pulling open her curtains and looking out at the sunny day.

"Hey." Hyde leaned against the doorframe, smirking to himself as he watched her jump in fright, not expecting someone to be in her room.

"Hey, what's up?"

"So, I was thinking." He stalked into the room, locking the door behind him. His hands made their way to her hips, pulling her close.

"Hm, yeah, no." She placed her hand on his chest, stopping him from pulling her any closer. "We need to talk."

"Yeah, of course." Hyde immediately let her go, following her to her bed and sitting beside her. "Mar, are you okay? Like, actually okay?"

"I think after today, I'm going to be better." Goldie stated, placing her hand on his. "I want you to talk to Jackie. You owe her an apology, an explanation, everything."

"I know." He sighed, taking off his sunglasses to rub his tired eyes. "I feel terrible. But we also need to talk about "Lucy"."

"I don't want to know about her." She tried to stop him but he gave her a stern look.

"Please." With a slight nod of her head, Hyde continued to explain. "Lucy was a jewellery worker I was talking to. I wanted to buy you this beautiful necklace and in the moment all I could think about was how beautiful you would look with it on."

"Do you mean it?"

"Yes." Hyde gently kissed her lips. "I would never cheat on you. But I also thought you'd have more trust in me."

"You're right." Goldie agreed. "Every time I think back to it, I overreacted. I should've let you explain but I let my negative thoughts take over and I'm sorry."

"I know." He kissed her lips again. "Are we cool?"

"Not until you talk to Jackie." Their lips met briefly before Hyde stood up, leaving her room to go find Jackie.

Marigold wandered over to her underwear drawer, looking down at her box of weed. She quickly slammed the drawer shut, sighing as she turned around and sat at her vanity, brushing the tangles out of her wet hair.

"Goldie, can we talk?" Jackie knocked on the doorframe, hesitantly approaching the unpredictable girl.

"Sure." Marigold suddenly felt her mouth go dry, scared of what Jackie might say about everything. "Please, sit."

"Steven told me." The girl began, swallowing back her tears. "I don't know how to feel. I guess I should have seen this happening. I just thought Steven would be different, not treat me the same as Michael. Maybe it's just me but-"

"Jackie." Goldie cut her off, reaching forwards and grabbing Jackie's hands. "You do not deserve to be cheated on. Nobody deserves that."

"I know." Jackie sniffled, trying to blink away her tears. "But I've seen the way Steven looks at you, even when we are together he is still always looking at you. I love him so much but he isn't mine. He was yours. He will always be yours no matter how hard I try."

"Please forgive me for sleeping with him when you two were together." Goldie felt a lump form in her throat, tears starting to trail down her cheeks. "I never wanted to be a homewrecker."

"I forgive you." A silence enveloped the pair, both quietly crying together over past mistakes and new beginnings. Marigold immediately brought Jackie in for a hug, wrapping her arms around the smaller girl.

"I think we just became best friends." Jackie joked, laughing through the tears.

"I think we did."