fifty three

53|BREAKFAST

Marigold ignored the chatter around her, happily sat at the breakfast table sipping her tea and thinking about school starting again.

"Oh, just a moment." Kitty said loudly as she placed the phone down. "Red, it's somebody about buying the Corvette." Her excitement was obvious causing the man to grumble with annoyance.

"Well, Marlin, we've just seen the male of the herd grunt his displeasure." Eric stated like a Discovery channel narrator to Hyde. "But what does it mean?"

"The grunting indicates aggression, Jim." Hyde replied, following along with the joke.

"Idiots." Red cursed them out as he walked over to the phone. "I am about to sell something special to me because we're having another baby, and to do that, I have to believe this child won't turn out a smart ass."

"You've still got me, Uncle Red." Goldie grinned, sticking her tongue out playfully to Eric. "I turned out pretty well."

"Hello." He picked up the phone, listening to the person on the other end of the phone. "Yes. Don't call here again." He hung up the phone with annoyance before walking back to the breakfast table while the two boys followed.

"Well, what happened?" Kitty questioned curiously, walking over to the table with the last plate of food.

"Oh, the guy sounded like he was eating." Red shrugged off his family's curiousity, digging in to the food before him. "I don't want some fat bastard eating in my car."

"Anyway, I'm going to the doctor's this afternoon because I'm pregnant." Kitty said in a sing song voice. "Oh, oh, and you're picking up your grandparents up from the airport. I'm going to tell them I'm pregnant."

"They get in from Phoenix at five." Red informed his son and niece, knowing one of the two would go and pick their grandparents up. "You know, I was hoping when they moved to Arizona they'd get lost in the desert."

"What's wrong with Mrs. Formans parents?" Hyde questioned the family with confusion, glancing around the table.

"Nothing." Kitty instantly answered before the others could open their mouths. "They're just very complicated people who can't be summed up in a couple of words."

"Grandma yells. Grandpa drinks." Eric summed up for Hyde causing Goldie to snort in agreement.

"That pretty much summed it up." Red nodded in agreement.

"I love grandpa when he drinks." Goldie snickered to herself, remembering the last time she had seen the older man.

"I thought you were blood related to Red?" Hyde glanced at Goldie, finally having a calm conversation with his ex-lover.

"I spent a lot of time around Aunt Kitty's parents growing up." She explained with a shrug. "They are the only grandparents I have."

"What they said is not true." Kitty grumbled, trying to defend her parents. "My father is a wonderful man who just gets a little sleepy. And my mother, well, fine is a little remote. Which, I have learned through many helpful books, makes it impossible for her to say "I love you". Even if it's the only thing in the world a sad little girl needs to hear. And which is why I say it to you every day." She turned her attention to her silent son beside her.

"Eric, I love you." She pressed a kiss on Eric's cheek as she embraced him causing Hyde to snicker at his misery. "And you too, Steven. I love you." Kitty leaned over and kisses the boys head, holding him close as he struggled to be released from her grip.

"Yeah, no, you don't have to." He tried to move away from her, glancing at Goldie for help. "Okay, I love you too." He caved, accepting the older woman's love.

"I love you too, Aunt Kitty." Goldie smiled at her aunty before she was attacked with love as well. "Want me to come with you to your doctor's appointment? I can drive."

"If that's not too much of a hassle."

Marigold sipped at her tea as she got lost in her thoughts, happily tapping her foot against the table leg. She jumped with fright as she felt what she thought was the table leg tap her foot back. She glanced at Hyde, hiding her smile behind her mug as he grinned back at her.