forty two

42|SURPRISE PARTY

"Happy birthday, Steven." Goldie dipped her head down and kissed his lips, smiling as she pulled away. "Are you still in a strop?"

"No." Hyde pouted, avoiding her teasing stare. "I just refuse to go."

"I'm going to head over, I hope I see you there." She sighed, knowing she would not be able to get him to his surprise party. "Just know that Kitty loves you like her own and she only wants to do the best for you."

"Mar?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you." The smile on her face exploded into a full on grin, a blush colouring her cheeks as turned away and left the basement.

"He's all yours." Goldie patted her cousin on his arm, passing him to let him try to talk the birthday boy into attending his party.

"Goldie!" Leo cheered as the girl walked into the house, excited to see her.

"Leo, how have you been?" She smiled at the man, accepting the cup of juice from him. "I've been meaning to stop by the Hut."

Marigold sat beside Jackie and Fez, discussing Jackie's hair and Fez's new shirt. Her eyes kept drifting to the door, waiting for Hyde to walk in.

"Everybody, they're here!" Kitty whisper yelled to the group, hushing them all as they gathered around to surprise him.

"Surprise!" The group cheered as Hyde walked into the room, Red close behind.

"You got me, dudes." Leo stated as he jumped in fright.

"Wow, thanks." Hyde said with fake surprise, trying to act happy about the party for Kitty's sake.

"Oh, happy birthday." Jackie hugged the birthday boy, placing a kiss on his cheek. Goldie bit her lip to hide her jealously, hating that her blood boiled.

"Damn, Jackie!" Kelso snapped at his girlfriend. "Stop kissing other guys!"

"Happy birthday." Goldie wrapped her arms around her boyfriends neck, holding him close. She ignored the look Red sent her, knowing there was something between the two.

The group of friends spread themselves across the sofas, Hyde in the middle, while the adults drank in the corner. Kelso excitedly gave Hyde their present, a street sign for 'High St'.

"Wow, this is great." Hyde said gratefully, admiring the sign. "Did you get this at the flea market?"

"The flea market?" Eric asked slowly, a scared look in his eyes as he glanced at Donna and Kelso.

"Yeah, they sell 'em there for two bucks." He explained, eyes darting between his friends.

"No, we stole it." Eric said with frustration. "It took forever."

"I had to show my bra!" Donna added, gesturing to her chest. Goldie glanced down, smirking as she made eye contact with the ginger girl.

"You owe me a bumper!" Kelso grumbled with annoyance.

Marigold leaned back in the chair, draping her legs over her cousin as Kitty dragged Hyde over to unwrap his presents. The pair joking about how Kitty never spoiled them this much.

"Now, I made this for you." Kitty gestured to the blue sweater as Hyde lifted it up, he name across the chest. "See? It says 'Steven' on the front because I heard that having your name on your clothes is cool. Plus, if anybody finds it, they can return it to you."

"So, I won't be able to lose it?" He asked, trying to hide his distaste. "Great."

"Put it on." Red smirked at the boy, seeing right through his fake cheerfulness.

"Do I have to?"

"You bet your ass." Hyde reluctantly threw on the blue sweater, ignoring the teasing comments Goldie gave him.

"Welcome to manhood." Red commented with a laugh.

"You look so handsome." Goldie teased, pinching the birthday boys cheek. "It really brings out the blue in your eyes."

"Shut up." Hyde chuckled, pulling her into a playful head lock as he dragged her to the couch.

"I can't wait to give you your present later." She whispered in his ear, a cheeky look on her face as his eyes dipped down to her chest, eager to unwrap his present.

"Fuck, Mar." He cursed, leaning back in the chair as he groaned, trying to think of anything but what is hiding under her dress.

"Come, come." Kitty wandered over to the pair, grabbing Hyde's hand and dragging him over to the piñata.

"Mrs. Forman." Hyde pulled a look as Kitty tied a cloth around his eyes. "I'm not really a piñata kind of guy."

"Oh, come on, Steven." The older woman patted his shoulders and stepped back, spinning him around. "Everyone plays piñata."

"Yeah, Steven." Kelso grinned, annoying the birthday boy. "Hit the jackass."

Hyde pulled the cloth off his eyes, hitting Kelso with the wooden stick. He chased him around the house, following him outside and still hitting him.