forty five

45|THE BREAK UP

Marigold stalked down the stairs slowly, hesitant to walk into the kitchen as she heard his voice. She knew she couldn't avoid him forever, he lived with them but she just wanted an answer that she knew he didn't want to give.

"Hyde." She greeted the boy, noticing Eric sneak out the room to allow the pair to talk. "Look at me."

"Mar, I've already explained myself." Hyde sighed, leaning against the counter as he watched her with a sad expression. "Why can't you believe me?"

"Why have you been avoiding me?" Goldie shot back, crossing her arms over her chest as she narrowed her eyes at him. "Someone who isn't guilty wouldn't avoid an argument."

"I'm not guilty of anything other than accidentally saying the wrong name." He argued, growing frustrated. "Which I apologised for. Mar, I don't know a Lucy."

"Then why did you say her name?" She shouted, her raised voice startling him. "If you don't know a Lucy then why did you randomly say her name during sex. Not even in a normal conversation but when your dick was in me."

"I don't know a Lucy!" He yelled back, walking closer to her. "I am done with this constant bickering. Why can't you just believe me? I'm done with this."

"Because you've made it hard for me to believe you!" The tears fell down her cheeks as she jabbed her finger into his chest. "If you had just said something after it had happened then I would believe you but it's been two weeks since your birthday. That's two weeks that you've been avoiding me with a stupid guilty look on your face. You made it impossible for me to believe you."

"I'm done, Marigold." Hyde snapped at her, staring down at her with anger as she glared back at him. "I'm done with trying to be this perfect person for you. I explained myself and you're the one making this bigger than it actually is."

"You're right." Goldie said quietly, her stare softening as she stepped back. "We're done. You don't have to worry about being a perfect person anymore."

"Fine." He stormed out the kitchen, leaving her crying to herself as Kitty wandered into the room.

"Goldie, what's wrong?" Her aunty embraced her tightly, rubbing her back as Goldie broke down in her arms.

"I hate love." She cried, her legs growing weak, cheeks wet and body shaking. Goldie finally accepted the truth that she was scared of. They were truly over.

"Come on, dear, let's get you to bed." Kitty helped her niece walked to her room, tucking her under her covers as she sat on the edge of the bed. "I'm going to go make some cookies and call Donna. I know that love is a cruel thing but you can learn from this pain and even overcome it when you're ready. But you're allowed to be upset, you're allowed to scream and cry and break things. Just let me know if you ever want to talk about it."

It had barely been ten minutes since Kitty had left the room when Donna burst into the room, her heart breaking when she spotted the girl.

"Jesus, Goldie." Donna sat on the edge of the bed beside the crying girl, placing a hand on her shoulder sympathetically. "What happened between you and Hyde? You two were so happy and adorable then suddenly you're both distant."

"We broke up." Goldie mumbled, her voice croaking as she spoke, glossy eyes glancing up at Donna with a broken expression. "I love him so much it hurts."

"Oh, Goldie." The ginger girl leaned down, embracing the broken girl. "I know how it feels. Love hurts and is stupid but it gets better. I promise."

"What am I supposed to do?" She asked, slowly sitting up with Donna's help. "I can't even be around him but I don't want to lose my friends."

"I will always be here for you." Donna smiled genuinely at the girl. "Even if at first you don't want to hang around the boys I'll happily come spend time with you and I'm sure Jackie will too. It will take time but you can always come join us down in the basement when you're ready. You don't have to rush anything."

"Thank you, Donna." Goldie smiled sadly up at the girl. "I really appreciate everything you've done for me. Thank you for being my friend."

"Always."