fifty four

54|KITTY'S PARENTS

Marigold placed a fake smile on her lips as she pulled into the driveway, mentally preparing for her adoptive grandparents. As much as she enjoyed seeing them, she could only handle them in small periods of time. She glanced over at the woman sat beside her, seeing the internal struggle in her eyes.

"I can send them away, Aunt K." She sighed, not knowing how to handle the situation. The last time she was with a woman who had lost their baby her parents were murdered in front of her. She pushed away the terrible memory, trying to stay positive for her aunt. "Or distract them?"

"No, I can deal with them." Kitty breathed out, trying to prepare herself for her parents. "They're only my parents."

"I'm going to head inside." Goldie reached over and squeezed her aunt's hand before stepping out her car and heading to her room. She leaned against her headboard, shaky hands lighting the blunt between her lips.

She breathed out, squeezing her eyes shut as she let her pent up emotions finally spill over. Goldie pressed her knees against her chest, holding them close to her body as she closed her eyes.

"I miss you." Her eyes moved to the photo beside her bed, her parents beaming brightly on their wedding day, happy and in love. "I can't wait to see you again."

"Goldie." Eric knocked on her bedroom door, poking his head in her room. "Come say hello." He froze when he saw her curled up on her bed crying, her medicinal cure resting in her hand, barely touched. "Are you okay?"

"No." She answered honestly, looking up at her cousin with glossy eyes. "I miss them. I miss him. I hate everything. I just want them all back. Why do I keep losing people?"

"You won't lose me." He said awkwardly, not knowing how to cheer her up. He sat beside her, wrapping an arm over her shoulders as she dried her cheeks. "I know you aren't the luckiest person in the world but I just know luck is coming your way."

"You are terrible at cheering people up." Goldie chuckled, leaning her head on his shoulder. "Thank you, Eric. You have no idea how happy that I have you as some sort of brother cousin."

"Come on, Grandpa already has his first drink." Eric shuffled away from her, standing up and offering her his hand. She placed her burnt out blunt down and took his hand, letting him drag her downstairs.

Marigold sat beside Eric, awkwardly glancing between her grandparents. She was waiting for her grandmother to explode, yell at her grandpa for already moving on to his second drink.

"Burt, honey, why don't you come over and sit with us?" Their grandmother said sweetly to her husband.

"I'm fine here." He said dismissively as he stood beside the bar.

"We'd really like it if you would sit and join the party." She stated, her tone becoming passive aggressive.

"I'm part of the party right here."

"Sit!" Her booming voice startled the two cousins, both glancing at each other as they prepared for the long weekend. Burt scurried over to the sofa, sitting beside Goldie and squeezing her and Eric in between their grandparents.

"So, Burt, you're looking fit." Red breathed out through his teeth, trying to break the awkward silence as he waited for his wife.

"Dry heat and central air, that's the key." Burt responded proudly. "I've even got an air-conditioned garage. We could go from the house to the car without ever feeling the heat."

"Wow. They never have to breathe fresh air, wow." Eric added sarcastically, glancing at his father.

"Who needs it?"

"Well, those are some real nice sandals, Burt." Red continued trying to keep the conversation going. "Hardly ever see those on men."

"Also made by the handicapped Indian." The older woman said excitedly. "What spirit."

"Oh, um, everybody's here." Kitty paused as she walked into the room, eyes wandering around at the entire family. "Hello, mum, daddy."

"Kitty, tell everyone your wonderful news." Red jumped up, standing beside his wife and pushing her forwards as he desperately wanted to shift the older couples attention to someone else. "Quick."

"Um, I'd rather not right now, Red." She tried to avoid the news he wanted her to tell her parents.

"But that's why we are here."

"Maybe we should wait." Goldie defended Kitty, hoping the two males would take the hint to drop it.

"No, for the love of God, mum, tell them." Eric said desperately, wanting to leave the living room and join his friends.

"No, I said not right now."

"Kitty, they came all this way."

"Yeah, come on." Goldie watched her aunt with sad eyes, not knowing what to do or say, stuck on the sofa with her mouth shut.

"Fine, you want to hear the big news?" Kitty snapped. "The doctor told me I started menopause."

"Kitty, language." Her mother scolded her.

"You're not pregnant?" Red looked down at his wife with concern, not knowing how to feel.

"No, no, just barren. Talk about that!" Kitty slapped her hand against his stomach before walking out the room.

"Do you two seriously not take hints?" Goldie sighed, slapping Eric over the back of his head before wandering back to her room, knowing her aunt needed space.