Middle of the Night ✨

Start from the beginning

"Uh.. how can I help you?", I asked and the fearful cursing inside my head became annoyed cursing at my display of awkwardness. He chuckled and glanced behind him to point at the house across the street. "I saw you running from my window. Considering how scared you looked and how late it is, I figured something was wrong. Is everything okay?", he asked with furrowed brows. The thought of this incredibly hot guy seeing me running like a chicken with my head cut off made me want to crawl into a hole and die, but seeing how worried and sincere he was made me want to invite him in for some tea and his hand in marriage.

I laughed awkwardly and shook my head. "Everything's alright! I heard something behind me and started running. I probably got startled by a raccoon in an alley or something.", I admitted shamefully earning a hearty laugh from the pretty boy in front of me. "Alright then, I was just- oh my God your leg!!", he exclaimed while pointing at my calf. I looked down and nearly fainted on the spot.

Just below my left knee, stretching to the top of my now crimson sock, was a large gash. All the pain I should have been feeling a lot earlier hit me at once. I yelped as I lost my balance and fell on my ass. "Do you want me to call someone?! Do you have a first aid kit that I could use to help?!?", he asked anxiously as he crouched and looked around his pockets for his phone until we were at eye level. I nodded and tried to think of how I could've hurt myself so badly. Then I remembered jumping the fence and how strange I'd felt afterward. "It's in the medicine cabinet! The bathroom is down that hallway to the left!!", I ground out as I moved to get out of his way. "Alright! Can I come in though?? I don't want to be rude.", he questioned worriedly. I rolled my eyes internally and spoke, "Sur-".

Before I could finish answering him, every warning bell and red flag known to man simultaneously filled my head. The warnings I had heard from my great aunt came to mind as well. "Beware the kind gentleman who promises comfort and seeks entry. Never bid him to do so.", she'd spoken when I was a child.

I moved away as far as I could from him and the door while shaking my head vehemently. "No!", I hissed while looking him up and down with new fear. He frowned in confusion at my sudden change in attitude. "What are you saying?! You're practically bleeding out, let me get the med kit so I can help you!!", he begged and as tears sprang to his eyes. I started to consider giving in to his request, but something still wasn't sitting well with me. "No.", I breathed out shakily, and for a moment it looked like he would start crying. Then all the tears, confusion, despare, and worry disappeared... as if they were never there.

The gray-haired man rose to his full height and smirked down at me. His eyes were no longer warm and brown; now they were white and filled with the coldness of the void. "You're a lot smarter than you look, little one. There hasn't been a human woman I couldn't charm into letting me in in maybe... 500 years.", he mused while letting his eyes roam my body and settle on my rapidly bleeding wound. Deeply, he inhaled and his tongue darted out to wet his lips. "O-neg, huh? You're a rare treat!!", he exclaimed with a wolfish grin, "You wanna know something?".

"What are you?", I whispered into the air. My eyes were rapidly loosing focus, but I wouldn't allow myself to go unconscious with him anywhere near me. "I could've gotten you when you left your work building.", he ignored my question. "I could've gotten you when you passed that first alley, but lucky for you I like playing with my food.", he hummed excitedly with eyes fading back to their original state. He glanced at my leg once more before walking backward down my driveway. "I'd like to make this encounter of ours into a game if you survive the night, so keep being lucky for me!", he half shouted as he shut the gate of my fence, "We'll see if you can outrun me next time.".

With that, he crossed the street and knocked on the door of the house he'd claimed to own earlier. I watched in horror as another girl a little younger than me opened it after a few moments. They talked for a second before he gestured to the house. My breath hitched in my throat as she stepped aside with a nod. He took a step into the house and looked around. Just as the door closed, he faced me again wearing a sweet, sinister smile. I sat there staring at that door for a few minutes waiting for a scream that never came. I shut my door and began crawling towards my bathroom. As soon as I patched myself up, I'd find my phone and call the cops. That's what I told myself to ease the pain in my leg and the sting of cold tiles against my stomach.

No sooner than I had reached the bathroom, the night's events took me into their grasp, and I passed out.  

THE END.

(A/N): Hello again, everyone!! I really hope you enjoyed tonights story! It's always a pleasure to listen your ideas and write them, so keep on sending them in. Remember to vote, share, and comment, too! Also remember to drink water, eat food, and take care of yourselves. Please be safe, and if you can't be safe at least try to be careful. I love y'all <333

thesmolbean out.