Challenge Accepted~ (Oneshot)💗✨

(A/N): Hii!! It's me again with another story! This story is based on a Pinterest writing prompt. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to write it!! I hope you enjoy it because I enjoyed writing it!!

A broken sigh escaped my lips as I marched up the stairs sluggishly. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes and I felt a dull ache in my chest. The strap of my shoulder bag dug into my left shoulder with an annoying sting. The weight of my books made my slow gait a bit uneven, but I couldn't care less. My head hung low as I finally reached my destination.

I pushed open the heavy metal door and was greeted by the sound of wind rushing about. I stepped onto the concrete floor and gazed out into the open air at the view in front of me. Usually, I'd be excited to see the twinkling lights of the city shining below me, but today it only made the pain I was feeling worse. I haphazardly dropped my bag onto the ground and took my usual seat a few feet away from the edge of the roof.

For the past few weeks, I'd been coming here to relax and relieve the stress brought down on me from being a college student. The warm air often brought me comfort and solace; the light breeze frequently dried my tears. This place had gotten me through tough times, but I doubted it could bring me through this feeling of heartache.

Today, the air was no longer warm nor the breeze gentle. The air was cold and the wind blew rapidly as clouds, gloomy and grey, threatened to unleash rain upon the unsuspecting city beneath me. The weather only made the darkness in my heart grow as I thought back on today's events.

Flashback:

The smell of leather-bound books and lemon cleaning supplies greets my nose as I enter the nearly empty library. I run my fingers across the tall shelves as I try to calm my rapidly beating heart. My palms sweat and a shaky sigh escapes my lips. I'm nervous... because I know he'll be here soon.

For about six months, I'd had this annoyingly obvious crush on this guy named Ethan. We'd been paired together by our history professor for a research project. Admittedly, our acquaintanceship had started awkward and a tad uncomfortable, but a week or so passed before we finally found our rhythm. Our conversations grew longer and our smiles for each other grew warmer, too. I began counting the days between our study sessions and hoping the days shortened between them.

I'd fallen head over heels for Ethan in two months, and it seemed he'd fallen for me, too. At least that's what it seemed like. He was more touchy and flirtatious than in the beginning. He'd begun to give me cute little nicknames and bring me small gifts after each session. Even my friends believed he wanted something more than late-night book readings at either of our places and early morning coffee meets at the local café. Eventually, after countless conversations and failed attempts, my friends convinced me that I should confess my feeling to him.

That's why I showed up to our meeting earlier than usual. I planned to wait at our desk and practice what I'd say before he got there. I prepare to round the corner when a familiar voice meets my ears accompanied by feminine laughter. I pause and listen to make sure I'm hearing correctly. I peek around the corner to see Ethan sitting at our desk with a pretty blonde.

They look comfortable together, and they seem to be very close. "Maybe she's just a friend.", I think and start to walk around the tall bookshelf. However, my feet falter as I watch Ethan glance at his watch, say something to the girl, and kiss her. It's not a short kiss either. The kiss is full of passion, feelings, and a love that I'll never have. Once they break the kiss, the pretty girl leaves and Ethan opens his textbooks. My phone chimes in my pocket signaling that it's time for our session to begin.