Phase One ✨

(A/N):  HELLO BABES!!! Welcome to yet another story update! This is a continuation of the 'Challenge Accepted' mini series. Now, I can't remember if I edited this or not but be wary of poor grammar. I won't hold you much longer, ENJOY <333

*FLASHBACK*

Suddenly, a car pulls up in front of the school's gate and honk's its horn. Danny turns and waves at the car before adjusting his shoulder bag and shaking my hand. "That's my cue to leave! Does tomorrow at 9:30 sound okay for a coffee date?", he asks while backing away toward the awaiting car. I nod and wave him goodbye and he shoots finger guns at me before ducking inside the vehicle. I watch with a small smile as the car drives away and fades into the hustle and bustle of the city. I sigh and slip past the gate to make my way home. Just as I step off the sidewalk, something hits the side of my head. I frown and touch my temple while looking down to find what could've hit me.

A small paper airplane lies on the ground next to my sneakers. I dip down to pick it up before unfolding it. Written in bold cursive are two words that send goosebumps across my skin:

"CHALLENGE ACCEPTED"

*FLASHBACK OVER*

I sighed for the millionth time today as I stared at the perfectly creased letter. Its two-word message had been haunting me for days, and I hadn't stumbled upon its meaning. It didn't feel threatening, just incredibly and mind-numbingly confusing. What challenge had been proposed and who was accepting it? Was this message really for me? Had I received it accidentally? There were so many questions gnawing at the depths of my brain.

From somewhere in my room, my phone chimed causing me to fall back into reality. Night had fallen and I had a class early tomorrow morning. I had lost track of time trying to dissect the letter. As my eyes settled on the digital clock at the edge of my desk, I cursed and placed the letter back into the drawer of my desk. It was nearly two in the morning, and my class was at eight. Thankfully, I was already dressed for bed and tired from a long day of work and overthinking. As I threw myself across my bed and got settled, I wondered for a moment if the sender of that letter was planning something malicious or not. I guess I'd have to find out later.

*TIMESKIP TO NEXT DAY BROUGHT TO YOU BY PETE'S INOSUKE COSPLAY*

"And that's it for today!! I expect your assignments to be completed and turned in by midnight! Have a good rest of your day.", my teacher called out while pointing us to the door of the lecture hall. I internally sighed in relief while gathering my things. I had finished all six of my classes for the day, and I was eager to get food and head back to my dorm. My back was aching and I was feeling irritable from my lack of sleep. That, of course, was my fault and my fault alone, but that didn't make me less crabby.

The walk from my seat to the door wasn't long, but it was long enough for a certain someone to finish packing and make a bee-line for me. "Hey there, stranger! I haven't seen you around in a while.", a voice I really didn't want to hear spoke from behind me. I inhaled, put on a smile, and turned to face the owner of the voice. There he was, his new and official girlfriend standing awkwardly at his side. "Hey, E! Hey, Jess! Yeah, I haven't seen you two in a long while!", I greeted cheerfully wishing that 'long while' had been even longer. Jessica gave me a small smile and subconsciously moved closer to Ethan. Internally, I'd rolled my eyes to the back of my skull in annoyance. There was nothing between me and her boyfriend, especially not after the whole library thing. "We're headed to study in a sec. You should come with us! It'll be just like old times, I promise.", he offered. If I had to spend another second around either of them, I'd probably lose my damn mind.

I chuckled nervously and prepared to make up some kind of excuse to get out of this situation. 'What's it gonna be this time?', I thought, 'Sickness or prior engagement?'. I glanced at my watch and the clock in the room feigning shock. "Well, you see I-", just as I was about to lie to the couple in front of me my name was called. I turned towards whoever had called me to see our school's newest exchange student making his way toward me. It was Danny, the pretty boy with a warm spirit and even warmer eyes.

(A/N: idgaf abt that shit Danny be talkin', bros eyes are hella splendiferous and that's it 🤷🏿‍♀️)

"Hey! Are we still on for our coffee date because, I was hoping we could go today?", he inquired with a smile that made any memories or ideas of the word 'no' fade from my mind. Prior engagement it is. "You know what," I started while gesturing to Ethan and Jess, "I was just about to tell them about our date! Sorry, guys I wish I could study with y'all, but Danny got to me first.". They nodded in understanding and Jessica looked a little relieved. There wasn't a hint of remorse or guilt within me. I genuinely disliked these people. After bidding adieus, Danny took my hand and led me out of the lecture hall and toward the exit of the building. Once we were outside, he turned to me with a small smirk. "You're welcome for coming to your rescue back there. You looked like you were about to lose your shit!", he exclaimed with a chuckle and I gasped with wide eyes. "Really?! Did I look that upset on the outside???", I questioned with an intense feeling of mortification spreading through me.

He just shook his head and chuckled. "No, not really.", he admitted with a head tilt, "It just sort of seemed like you were upset. You were standing kinda stiff and clenching your fists.". For a second, I just kind of stared at him and wondered how long he'd been watching the whole interaction. I wondered how he'd managed to read my body language so well even though we barely knew each other. I sighed in relief and nodded. "Thanks for that, I owe you one.", I hummed causing his smirk to grow. He looked around us and ran a hand through his before focusing on me again. He was incredibly gorgeous, and I knew he was going to be the death of me. "Well, you can repay by going with me to the café a few buildings away from this one!", he suggested. I should've seen that one coming a mile away, but I guess I was too distracted by his face.

I pretended to think about it before raising a brow at him. "How do you know I won't be annoyed with you like I was with those two earlier?", I challenged teasingly and earned an eye roll. In the back of my mind, I wondered if he knew just how hot he was. He took a step closer and lowered himself to my height. "You're not as tense as you were before, and you're a lot more open. If you didn't want to be around me for long, you would've left already. I don't want to part ways just yet, and I have a feeling you don't want to either.", he explained sending my heartbeat into overdrive, and my mind on the fritz. The sudden closeness had drained every bit of confidence I'd had. I huffed out an embarrassed 'whatever' earning a satisfied laugh from him. He rose to his normal height, took my hand, and began leading me toward our destination. "That's what I thought.~,", he hummed arrogantly, "Now, the café is this way!".

As I allowed him to lead me away, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I didn't bother checking it, but when I would my confusion would increase and my heart would race for more concerning reasons. The message I'd receive was as simple as the first yet all the more ambiguous.

"Phase One: Completed."

THE END

(A/N): I REALLY HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS STORY!! It was fun checking in on a series after a while of thinking of new concepts. Lemme know what you think of this and tell me what'd you like to see more of (i don't really write smut but I might start a lil service or sum for my fellow freaks hehehe). Anyways, I hope you're all well! Please remember to drink water, eat healthily, and take care of yourselves for the love of God. Please be safe, and if you can't be safe at least try to be careful. LOVE YA <333

thesmolbean out.