Devil's Advocate (Oneshot)✨

(A/N): Hiya, it's me again! I'm here to give you a continuation of the 'Devil's In The Details' mini-series. I hope you enjoy reading this and don't forget to vote and share!! Ilysm <33

I sighed as I leaned against the counter of the café I worked at with empty eyes. My mind was racing a mile a minute after all the things that demon had told me last night. "The demon supervising me was an evil bastard even amongst demons. He was the demon who created your father's contract at the crossroads. He filled that contract with so many tricks and sneaky lies that it was only a matter of time before your father fell prey to one of them.", he'd explained calmly. I barely got any sleep after hearing the story of how he came to become my guardian. Something about the whole thing unsettled me deeply.

A jingle from the entrance and the sound of the door swinging open brought me back to my reality. I didn't have time to think about those sorts of things at the time, I had a job to do. I put on a big smile before turning to greet the new customer. "Hello there! Welcome to Allison's, what can I do for you today?", I chirped while digging around in my apron pockets for my notepad and pen.

There was a familiar chuckle and my nose was suddenly invaded with the scent of cinnamon and vanilla. "Well, that's a stark change in attitude from last night!", came Danny's voice from the other side of the counter. I got my notebook out and placed a hand on my hip before looking up at him. He'd traded the suit from last night for a crisp black button-up, slacks, boots, and a stylish black jacket. He was naturally gorgeous, but that was a topic for another time. "How'd you find me, demon?", I questioned in a slightly annoyed tone. He put on a grin I could only describe a devilish as he made himself comfortable on a stool across from me. "I'm your guardian, darling. I know where you are at all times!", he informed with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

Just as I was about to say something snarky, one of my co-workers came from the kitchen. I looked back to see Emory, my best friend, staring between Danny and me with a growing blush on her face. "Um (Y/N)... why does the handsome stranger not have coffee in front of him yet?", she squeaked shyly. I rolled my eyes at her sudden shyness before walking further behind the counter to retrieve a coffee pot and cup. "This idiot doesn't need anything that'll make him more freaky than he already is.", I said while filling the cup and placing it in front of him.

Emory gasped and Danny winked at me before taking a sip of his drink. "I'm guessing you two know each other?", she asked while adjusting her apron and beginning to clean the countertops like she did when she was nervous. Although she was about two years older than me, it was easy to forget that because of her innocent and quiet nature. I hummed a yes as I watched him sip the piping hot coffee as if it were cold water. "He's my guardian.", I explained causing her to look up at me in shock before staring at him.

"T-that would mean that he's a demon, right?", she inquired skittishly. I hummed once more and Danny let his eyes flash crimson as if to further prove to her that he was indeed a hellspawn. "There's nothing to be afraid of, though. He's about as dangerous as a Christmas fruitcake... on second thought, you might wanna keep your distance from him, 'kay?", I spoke while tugging her in the opposite direction of him.

He rolled his eyes before finishing off his coffee and gently placing the mug down. He propped his chin on his upturned palms while batting his eyelashes in an attempt to look innocent. "Dearest, I came here to have a word with you! Do you think you could give me a moment of your time?", he asked sweetly causing suspicion to grow within me. Just as I was about to deny his request, Emory spoke up. "Sure she can. I'll watch the counter for you!", she chirped with bright, unsuspecting eyes.

I sighed for the umpteenth time before untying my apron and walking around the counter. I gestured for Danny to follow me as I made my way toward the employee lounge. Once we were inside the room, I shut the door and turned to him with a questioning brow raised. Danny had taken a seat on one of the couches and had crossed his legs ever so elegantly. "You might want to have a seat, love.", he said in a serious tone. I frowned as I took a seat across from his and began inspecting his features.

His playful smirk was replaced by a dark frown and this mischief in his eyes had burned into annoyance and anger. The light-hearted demon from before was now a vengeful devil. "What is it, Danny?", I questioned while leaning forward. He clenched his jaw before answering, "Word spreads fast in Hell, and the word is I'm up to be replaced by someone new. My master thinks I've told you something important.". The room was silent and tense after his words settled, and a chill crept down my spine. "Why? They can't do that to us. I haven't known you long, but I'm not opposed to knowing you longer. They can't do this.", I managed to whisper out into the silence.

A muffled growl escaped the demon across from me drawing my attention to him and away from the coffee table between us. "No worries, dearest, they're not allowed to replace me until you've met my replacement and have agreed that you want them instead of me. It just pisses me off that the old bastard would wait until I've finally met you to start with his tricks.", he scoffed and I caught sight of a puff of smoke escaping his nose.

Relief washed over me at his words and I found myself leaning back in my seat. "Do you know who they are or when they're coming?", I inquired while glancing at the wall clock to the left of me. Danny shifted in his seat a bit before saying, "I don't know when but the demon who's supposed to take my place doesn't want the job switch to happen either. Maybe we can reason with them.", he sighed out. I hummed before standing and stretching.

Danny did the same and we exited the lounge together. As my mind pooled with ideas about the new predicament, I heard the voices of two people conversing in the front of the café. One I recognized as Emory, and the other was a deeper male voice. I rounded the corner and was met with the sight of a very tall man leaned against the counter sweet-talking my best friend. The man's eyes flickered over to meet mine and a smirk curled across his pretty lips. Emory looked over with bright red dusting her usually pale cheeks. "(Y/N), why are all these pretty guys looking for you all of a sudden?", she giggled out.

From behind me Danny chuckled and walked over to stand in front of the stranger. They exchanged a gentlemanly handshake. "I had a feeling it was you, old friend.", Danny purred while releasing the man's hand. He turned to me with a mischievous smirk before saying,

"Darling, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine..."

THE END

(A/N): Hehe I left you on a cliffhanger!! So, who do you think the new stranger is? Is it Will? Maybe it's Brandon? It could be someone totally new. You'll have to wait 'til I update the series again!! Remember to drink water and eat healthily!! ILYSM <33

thesmolbean out.

EDIT:

WE MIGHT BE HITTING 10K SOONER THAN I THOUGHT, SO WHAT WOULD Y'ALL WANT FOR 10K READS?? VOTE FROM 3 OPTIONS IN THE POLL BELOW:

https://twitter.com/yooniescupid/status/1427127882304966659?s=20