Bookworms and Cigarettes 6 ✨

(A/N): Hello again, babes :)))! Today's update is finally here and it's filled with ANGST! I hope you enjoy this bc it was kinda hard to write (I got tired a lot lol). Anyways, I won't hold you any longer. Enjoy <333

12:15.

That's what time we'd left school to skip and spend the rest of the day at Arny's. Now, an entire six hours later, we were still here watching television and seeing who could give the best commentary. Well, most of us were still here. Will had gotten a call from home and left early, Brandon had a prior "engagement". Me, Danny, Arny, and Apollo were the only ones left.

"Dude, wasn't that pizza supposed to be here like ten minutes ago?", Danny asked while glancing at his phone. Arny shrugged while never taking his eyes from the screen. "Yeah, but the parlor's across town. You know it usually takes them a long ass time to get here.", he answered after a second. I took a moment to adjust from my place on the floor between them. "I knew that was gonna happen! He skipped leg day, and now he's dead.", I started as I watch the killer on screen take the life of yet another college student, "Danny, take notes.". There was a scoff behind me before I was lightly kicked in the rib.

Apollo grunted from his spot in my lap at the sudden movement, and I quickly apologized with a forehead kiss. "Nah bro she might be onto someth-", Arny began but was cut off by the sound of the doorbell ringing in the front of the house. From the other side of the door, I could make out the muffled voice of a guy announcing the name of the pizza place we'd ordered from. Carefully, I turned around to face the two boys and stuck out my fist. Silently, they did the same.

"Rock."

"Paper."

"Scissors."

Danny chuckled in triumph at his win and I shifted a little to face Arny.

"Rock."

"Paper."

"Scissors."

I cursed under my breath and rolled my eyes as Arny did a celebratory dance in his seat. I handed him Apollo and began my journey to the front door. I breathed out through my nose and opened the door with a small smile. I was greeted back with another smile, this one bright and a tad confused. "Hi, did you order two large pizzas, one cheese, and the other pepperoni?", he asked while glancing at a small ticket. I nodded and he handed over the warm boxes. "Give me a second to get your complimentary sodas for being late!", he chirped before heading back to the car.

His warm attitude was refreshing and he was incredibly adorable. He had short brown hair and pretty brown eyes. He was taller than me and looked to be a few years older. As he headed back from the delivery car, I sat the boxes on a small table near the door. "Here you are, miss!", he announced while handing me two bottles of soda, "You're total is $25.25.". I nodded and handed him the money Arny had given me. "Thank you, Pete!", I spoke as he tipped his hat and prepared to leave. He turned to say something before a loud crash sounded in the living room. "I THOUGHT I HEARD HIM!!", Danny shouted and the sounds of rushed footfalls grew closer by the second.

Arny and Danny flew past me to embrace the delivery guy with wild shouts of excitement. I watched the scene with wide eyes and wondered how many people they'd woken up in the neighborhood. Pete tried his best to hug the two jittery boys and succeeded for the most part. The smile on Danny's and Arny's faces could rival the sun in brightness and warmth. They looked so at home with this friendly stranger that it kind of made my heart ache. After of moment, the three of them settled and began dragging Pete toward the front door again. He looked like he wanted to stay, but he was probably still on the clock.

Just as I was about to call out to the three of them, the distant sound of my phone ringing caught my attention. I frowned in confusion and made my way back to the living room. The television had been paused so other than my phone ringing the house was silent. Carefully, I picked up my phone and inspected the screen. That asshole had dinged it up pretty badly and I was surprised it was still working. My phone buzzed in my hand and I remembered why I had come in the first place. Through the cracks, I could just barely make out my dad's contact. I cursed quietly and answered the phone.

"Where are you? Leland said you were in some kind of trouble?", my dad spoke as I put the speaker to my ear. I sighed knowing where this was going. "Yeah, but I'm alright now. I'm at a friend's house.", I replied as calmly as I could. There was silence on the other end for a moment and my anxiety skyrocketed. "Is it one of those guys from before? I thought we talked about this.", he finally asked after a while. Though his tone was level and void of emotion I could tell he was getting pretty annoyed. I huffed and pinched the bridge of my nose. Today had been a pretty long day and his calling just as I was settling wasn't helping. "Yes, we did, and I asked you to trust me. I asked you to trust that I was being cautious with who I was spending my time around, and you threw my past mistakes back into my face.", I tried to speak just as plainly as he did.

There was a scoff followed by more silence. There was no way I gonna hear the end of this shit when I got home. "And I said I trusted you, not the people you want to be around, kid. They're guys too, so that's even fucking worse.", he argued, "You've only known them for a few days. Who knows what they could be planning for you.". It was rare for my dad to curse, this was not going to end well. He was right, and I knew he was right. I was aware and afraid of all the horrible possibilities, but I couldn't let that stop me from getting close to people. I'd done it long enough to know that it wouldn't get me anywhere but alone and full of regrets.

I started to reply, but I could physically feel the anger and emotion rising from my chest. I took a moment to collect myself before clearing my throat. "You're right. I know know what's going through their heads, but I do know that if they hadn't shown up I would've got my ass kicked and probably worse. That counts for something, doesn't it? I think it does.", I replied. This conversation was tiring and had pretty much ruined my night. When he didn't answer after a second, I sighed and snatched my keys from the coffee table. "I'll be home in 15 minutes. Don't bother waiting for me.", I ground out and ended the call.

When I turned around, Danny was standing at the entrance of the living room with a frown. "You're leaving already?", he inquired disappointedly. I nodded and pulled my bag onto one of my shoulders as his frown deepened. Seeing how upset he was made me even angrier with my dad. He had no idea what kind of people they were yet he was still so fucking judgemental. Danny glanced at the abandoned pizza boxes and gestured to them. "At least make a plate before you go. Arny's gonna be so pissed if you don't.", he spoke while beginning to fix a plate for me. I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to, that I'd be fine. I just couldn't do it, though. I didn't have the heart to.

Once the plate was finished, he placed it in my hands and held them in his for a second. "I don't know what's going on, but don't let it upset you too much. Please.", he advised and I nodded. I could feel tears prickling in my eyes, and I knew if I stayed any longer they would fall. After a moment of silence, I said my goodbyes and made my way outside. Arny and Pete looked up as I exited the house and I smiled while waving. "I'll see you tomorrow! It was nice meeting you, Pete!!", I called out making sure to keep my voice as even as possible. Though he looked a little confused, Arny just waved back as I got into my car. My chest ached as I pulled out of the driveway and into the highway. I glanced into my rearview mirror and made myself a promise.

I promised myself this wouldn't be the last time I'd see them.

THE END

(A/N): HELLOO! I really hope you enjoyed my writing! I've been tired lately a lot but writing helps sometimes. Please remember to eat healthily, drink water, and take your meds. Remember to be safe, and if you can't be safe at least try to be careful. I love y'alll <333