Star Kissed ✨

(A/N): Hey babes. I've been sad a lot recently, and I felt like writing something to help me express this sadness more healthily. It's gonna get a little angsty so hold on tight. Enjoy <3

"You know I love you, right?"

Every night, just after the sun had fallen past the horizon and the moon had risen to take its place, I dreamed. Although the dreams never happened the same way twice, one thing stayed the same. Maybe I should say one person stayed the same. I don't know who he was or what people my brain had mixed to create him. All I know is that he was somewhere in between a demon and an angel. He called himself Danny.

Never once did I imagine finding such solace in the utterance of a simple two-syllable name. Once I'd learned it, I didn't dare forget it. I couldn't have even if I tried. With eyes littered with moonlit stars and hair the color of winter's first frost, whoever he was... I loved him more than life its self.

It got to the point where we had our own routine. I'd started going to bed earlier in hopes I could spend a little more time with him, but it was always short and fleeting. I'd shut my eyes and slow my breathing, eventually allowing sleep to wash over me. Everything after that transition between consciousness and unconsciousness was dark and cold until he appeared. It was like stepping into a room without lights and finally flipping the switch.

One minute I was alone, and the next minute he was with me. He'd smile and hug me, all the cold from earlier would be washed away by his gentle warmth. He'd hold me tight enough and long enough for me to know that I was safe before placing a single kiss on my cheek. "Hello there, darling! Did you miss me?", he'd ask, and everything after that was history.

Some nights we'd just talk about our cares and worries, other nights we'd go on adventures to places I'd always wanted to see. At first, I thought he was a coping mechanism. A friend my mind had created to ease the strain of being me. Then I realized there was more to him than that. He had his respective problems and issues, each he shared in our little talks. The more we talked, the harder I began to fall for the boy in my dreams. Thankfully, he fell for me, too.

Five long years passed. Summers had come and gone, winters had arrived to do their damage and leave me in the wreckage, the fruit of spring had wilted away only to be replaced by somber crimson leaves stained by the wind and the sorrows it carried. Every year I was faced with a new challenge, but I wasn't worried. He would be with me... until the day he wasn't anymore.

I'd fallen asleep like I had any other night, but this time... he was already waiting for me. In his eyes was an unrecognizable sadness. The closer I got to him, the more I could feel the weight of this new sadness beginning to weigh on me, too. I took his hands in mine and frowned at the lack of warmth coming from them. I looked into his eyes and saw that there weren't as many stars anymore. Something was wrong.

"You know I love you, right?", he asked in that calming voice of his. Only it wasn't so calming this time, it was melancholic and forlorn. I nodded and answered, "Of course I know. What's wrong?". He just smiled and stared at our joined hands occasionally swiping his thumb across my knuckles. After a beat of silence, he finally spoke up. "This is the last night I'll be able to come to visit you, darling. It's time for us to say our goodbyes.", he whispered and leaned his forehead against mine. I furrowed my brows as I tried to process what he was saying.

I looked up at him with blurry, tear-filled eyes. A shaky sigh escaped me, and I shook my head. "But why? Where are you going?!", I questioned while fighting off the tightening in my throat. I sniffled and clenched my teeth in a weak attempt to quiet my crying. He said nothing but took one of his hands from mine and tilted my chin up. With careful, gentle fingers he wiped away my tears. "I love you so much.", he said as he leaned closer and planted a chaste kiss just above my eyebrow. Although it was fleeting, I felt a stinging pain where his lips had been. I blinked once and he was gone.