Thunder Bolt

(A/N): HELLO MY BABES!! YES, YES I AM INCREDIBLY LATE AND THIS IS WAYYY OVERDUE BUT I'M HERE NOW!!! This is another part of the 'Lightning and Thunder' series that I'm glad to present to you all. It's very, very long so there's that. Also, please be sure to read the ending author's note. I'll be making two very important announcements and I hate for anyone to miss them. Without further ado, enjoy <33

It took me about five hours to remove all the earth's debris from my hair.

After we'd recovered Danny and made sure he wasn't seriously injured, I got the chance to see him somewhat repair the damage we had made. That itself took nearly two more hours, and everything wasn't fully fixed. He explained that he was only restoring things enough so that they could go through a natural healing process later; he was only bandaging the wounds in the forest we'd created. Still, to the untrained human eye, it looked just as it had before.

By the time we were finished, darkness was well over the land and the air was cold. Dalia and Raiden had huddled together inside our tent and were currently sharing a bag of untoasted marshmallows. Upon entering said tent, the smaller kitsune waited for Danny to perch himself atop a nest-like pile of blankets before pouncing on him. I watched the white-haired fox chuckle unbothered while holding the little one by his collar. It took a moment for him to settle due to the sugar in the marshmallows kicking in. After a bit more shifting, Raiden's jitteriness calmed once he was wrapped in a few of the older males' tales.

"Aww!", Dalia whisper shouted as Raiden started to grow sleepy, "He's even cuter when he's tired.". The guardian of said boy smiled as he gently ran his fingers through his hair. "This is the only way he'll go to sleep. His dad used to hold him just like this.", he whispered back. I looked at the two of them and remember our lessons from earlier. They were both incredibly strong, so I couldn't imagine how something could happen to them. I wanted to ask, but I held off. I didn't want to be insensitive or rude, especially when they had both been so kind and accepting.

Danny's eyes flickered to mine and for a moment there was a sadness in them. Just as fast as I'd seen it it was gone and replaced with a distant sort of calm. "Raiden's father, my best friend, died 400 years ago.", he started quietly, "It probably isn't in many history books, but that year there were hundreds of forest fires. The worst of them took his dad away from us. He used his strength to save the natives that used to call this place home. As we were escaping... he fell from a charred branch onto another.".

Suddenly, the air outside was a lot colder and harsher. I could feel the warm atmosphere seeping out of the tent through its openings. I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to tell us any of this, I wanted to console him, I wanted to ask all kinds of questions. I couldn't, though. It just didn't feel right to do any of those things, so I let the silence inside the tent sink into my bones.

The quiet lasted for a long while. It wasn't uncomfortable or awkward, it was simply somber. That sombreness was broken as the younger fox rolled onto his stomach with a squeak while trying to burrow deeper into Danny's side. After that, the older male sighed and stood as high as he could inside our small tent. "Sorry for telling such a dark story and leaving, but I have to get this little troublemaker back home. Goodbye.", he spoke a lot less cheerfully than before. Dalia hummed while looking lost in her thoughts and I watched him unzip our nylon shelter. As he passed by, my hand shot out to grasp his. I still didn't know what to say, but I did know I didn't want us to part in such a way. I thought a moment before speaking. "Thank you. Not just for the lessons or for saving me yesterday... but also for being patient and sharing your heart with us. Please try to make it home safely. ", I finally managed to say.