Middle of the Night ✨

(A/N): HELLO BABES AND WELCOME TO THE 100K SPEACIAL!!! Thank you for your continued love and support, and thank you for enjoying and sharing my work!! I was so excited that I wrote this is one in maybe under an hour lol. I won't tell you the theme this time, and I won't keep you from finding out any longer. Enjoy <333

"Don't be out past midnight.", they'd say.

With tales of gruesome horror, the elders would solidify their warnings to the much younger citizens of our town. Their words and accounts had great influence here, so many stores and businesses closed early enough for everyone to make it home before that mysterious hour. Some, thankfully, allowed late hours and plentiful pay for the hazards we faced in the night.

Now that I was walking home on my own though, the money didn't seem worth it. I pulled my jacket closer around me and glanced at the surrounding area through my peripheral vision. I wasn't far from home, but the unrest within me stretched the minutes into hours. I pulled my jacket a little closer around me as I turned the corner onto my street. The sight of the bright street lamps brought me comfort, but it only lasted for a moment.

!!CRASH!!

I froze in place not daring to move a muscle. If was right, which unfortunately is something I always was, that sound had come from one of the barren alleys I'd just passed. If my awful streak of being correct persisted, which I absolutely didn't need at the time, there was another sound coming closer; it was faint yet persistent. My eyes focused on my house. Usually, from where I was standing, it'd take me under five minutes to get there. The growing closeness of that faint sound was making it very clear that tonight would be far from usual. I inhaled and steadied myself before sprinting in the direction of my doorstep.

All the blood in my body ran cold as the faint sound became a little louder and a lot faster. They were footsteps. Someone or something was following me. I steeled myself and quickly looked behind me. I was faced with an empty street, and, somehow, that frightened me even more. My pace quickened and so did the footsteps trailing me. As I neared my fence, I braced myself knowing I wouldn't have time to unlock it the way I normally would. With waning speed and strength, I grabbed the topmost bar of the fence and threw myself over it. Briefly and in the back of my mind I knew something was wrong when I landed. The nearing of the footsteps and the closeness of my door dismissed those thoughts as quickly as they had come.

I dug my keys out of my pocket and sprinted toward the door. Within record time, and just in time, I was inside my house and my door was locked. A breath of relief followed by exhausted panting escaped my parched throat as I collapsed in the entryway of my home.

My mind and body took a few minutes to settle, but once those minutes had passed I crawled to my feet. Hesitantly, I peered into the street and my driveway expecting some dark figure to be waiting there and staring back at me. Like before there was nothing. I frowned and closed the curtain, wondering if all the late hours and missed sleep were beginning to get the better of me. I was unsure of it, but I was sure that I needed to get a warm shower and some sleep before all the adrenaline left me. I chuckled to myself at the prospect of looming insanity and turned to make my way upstairs.

Before I could move very far, though, a knock came from the other side of my door. Paranoia filled me as I waited for a second round of knocking. It came shortly after the first round, solidifying the fact that there was indeed someone waiting for me on the other side of that door. Loud internal cursing occupied my thoughts as I unlocked my door and faced my late-night visitor.

I don't know who I was expecting, but it was definitely not... whoever this man was. He was gray-haired. Not gray like the elders, no he looked far too young. His hair was like the gray that came from sudden shock or fear, maybe a few hours at a salon. Behind that silvery hair and long lashes were some of the deepest, most captivating brown eyes I'd ever seen. They were filled with light, and the gentle yet concerned smile on his face made them even brighter.