Devil's In The Details~ (Oneshot)✨

(A/N): HIIII!!! So I'm really really excited to drop this story for y'all! I got the idea from a writing prompt on Pinterest, and immediately wanted to write about it! Danny's gonna be a demon in this one, so you're welcome ;}

All my life, I wanted nothing more than to be normal. I wanted to be able to play outside with the other children. I wanted to be able to walk to school without having to look over my shoulder. I wanted to go to sleep at night without fearing for my life the second I closed my eyes. I never was granted these things, though. All because my father was too cheap and hateful to request a guardian angel for me at birth.

Instead, he'd taken a cheaper, completely inexpensive route. He'd sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for a guardian demon to watch over me for the rest of my life. Mother detested the idea as any mother would, but father was so sure of himself. He thought that if he signed the contract and prayed enough that there would be no real repercussions in the end. He had a very bad habit of being wrong at the worst of times. To make a short story even shorter, the deal went sideways fast.

The demon who'd made the contract wrote in a fatal and unseen loophole. I'd be able to keep my guardian demon as long as my father put his heart into taking care of me... literally. Six months after I was born my father had a fatal heart attack after putting me in my crib. He should've read the fine print.

Mother was left alone to raise me the best way she could. Thinking that the entire contract was worthless with my father gone, she kept me inside and away from danger for fear that I'd die just like my father. That meant no playgrounds, supervised walks to school, and nearly no sleep at night. I was okay with not sleeping, though. The nightmares I had while I slept were nothing short of hellish. Eventually, the stress of having to constantly watch over me got to my mother. She too passed away while tucking me in. On my sixth birthday of all days.

I spent the rest of my childhood living with my cousin Lena and her guardian angel Judah. (A/N: Yes, that Judah. #FreeJudah). After my mom passed, it seemed like I became more clumsy or accident-prone. When I was eight, Lena and I were racing our bikes down the street. I had managed to get ahead of her and turned my head to begin teasing her. At first, she laughed with me, then she screamed for me to stop. There was a horrible screeching sound and a crash. I turned around and I pressed on my brakes just in time to miss being hit by a minivan.

The driver of the van, who'd been drunk driving, didn't make it out alive. I got out without a scratch or a hair misplaced. The days after that were filled with near-death experiences and freak accidents that I somehow managed to make it out of. For a while, I thought Judah was keeping me safe per Lena's request. That was until I finally turned eighteen and moved two cities away from where Judah's power had no reach. I was still being protected by something even then.

The only thing I wasn't safe from was rent and living expenses. I ended up working two shifts at a local café to keep afloat. I didn't mind, though. The customers were nice and my co-workers looked out for me like siblings. Life was good for a change. That was until I tried to request a guardian angel of my own.

I had tried numerous times before, but the requests always ended up "lost in the mail". I thought nothing of it until I came home from a long day of work and closing the café. The minute I walked into my apartment I could feel that the vibe was off. It was warmer than usual and the air smelled of cinnamon rolls.

I warily walked inside careful to keep my steps quiet. Once I made it into the living room, I took a deep breath before flicking the light switch on. Sitting in my favorite chair was a man. Only he didn't seem like a normal man. His hair was white as snow, his eyes were the color of fresh blood. He was dressed in an expensive-looking suit that added to his good looks. He looked like the perfect gentleman, but his aura... his aura told you that he was not to be fucked with.

"Who are you?!", I inquired while reaching discreetly for the knife in my work apron. He simply chuckled and met my angered gaze with an unbothered one. "You wound me, dearest. I'd hoped you'd know me just from my aura. After all, it is the one that keeps you up at night. It's also the one you feel when the smoke clears, and you see that you've escaped death once again.", he drawled in a deep velvety tone. His voice was downright sinful, but that wouldn't stop me from beating the shit out of him if he didn't start making sense.

"I'm going to ask you one more time and you're going to give me a straight answer or else. Who. Are. You?", I said with my hand gripping the hilt of the blade I'd finally made it to. He sighed and uncrossed his legs to lean forward and rest his elbows on his knees. "I'm your guardian angel, darling! Well, I'm more of a fallen guardian angel, to be honest. There's no need for the knife, by the way. I couldn't harm you even if I wanted to. It's against the rules you see.", he informed in a matter-of-factly tone. I froze in shock.

"You're him?! Why'd you decide to show up all of a sudden?", I asked while taking my hand from my apron pocket. He sighed and shot a lazy glare in my direction before standing and stalking towards the television. "Well, a certain someone has been trying to get a guardian angel, and it's making my boss think that I'm not doing my job.", he hissed in annoyance while toying with the remote. I rolled my eyes before making my way over to take it from him. "That's because you're not.", I sassed back while putting the remote in its correct place.

He gasped in offense while placing a hand on his chest. "I've saved your life countless times! Remember that drunk driver when you were six, huh?!", he said in an upset tone. I scoffed while placing my hand on my hip. "That guy died! I had nightmares for weeks!", I shouted feeling warm with anger. He waved a dismissive hand at me before making his way into my kitchen with me following him. "Better him than you. He was going to Hell anyway! Do you know how many people he hit before his accident with you?!"

I paused before crossing my arms defiantly. "What about my father, then? Is that what you thought before killing him?! 'He was going to Hell anyway! ", I hissed while blinking away tears. The demon, who had been riffling through my cabinets, whipped around in fury at my words. His eyes were  glowing with fiery anger. From behind him, a black pointed tail whipped about angrily that I'm sure wasn't there before.

"You think I'm the lowlife bastard that took your father away from you?! I may be a spawn of satan, but there are things even I wouldn't do. One of those things being breaking contracts.", he growled showcasing sharp fangs. I frowned in confusion. "If you didn't kill him, who did?", I asked while feeling the need to sit down.

"It's a long story that I'd be happy to tell you if you make me this. I haven't had mortal food in centuries!", he said excitedly while tossing ramen packets on the counter. I stared at the packets then at the grinning demon in front of me before picking them up and walking to the stove. "Fine. Only if you tell me your name, though.", I said while gathering the things I needed. He snickered excitedly while perching himself atop my counter.

"But of course, milady. My name is Voltiaere, but you can have the pleasure of calling me Danny!".

TO BE CONTINUED...

(A/N):

Hiya!! I hope you all enjoyed this story! This story is going to be a short series with updates scattered amongst the normal oneshots! I had to think of something to keep you coming back >:} *insert evil laughter*. Anyways, please stay safe and take care of urselves. MAKE SURE TO EAT FOOD AND DRINK WATER CAUSE YOU KNOW DANNY DON'T PLAY THAT DEHYDRATION SHIT!! ILYSM!!

thesmolbean out.