A Plane To Catch

Isabelle

Since the bakery opening, things have been pretty busy. The place is full most of the time and I can't remember the last time I had to throw anything out before leaving. Everything's sold out when I leave and I even have orders for days in advance.

At first, I was concerned about keeping up with it all. But after a few days, I finally got a system down that works for me. Things have been running smoothly ever since which has led to a lot of satisfied customers and some amazing reviews.

The bell on the door chimed and I looked up and noticed Sterling right away. He was dressed sharply in his suit and his eyes practically devoured me as he stepped closer to me.

"What do I owe this pleasure?" I asked as I remained behind the counter.

"I just wanted to see if you were busy." He glanced around the bakery. "By the looks of this place, it would appear so. Would you have time to step away and get some lunch?"

A low breath escaped my lips. "As much as I want to, I can't."

While I'm on a system that works for me, it's still taking the staff some time to adapt. They knew it was going to be a busy job when they signed on, but I know they didn't expect it to be like this. So, I feel it's my duty as their leader to stick by until I know they've got it all down.

"Fair enough." He nodded. "In that case, why don't you come over after you close tonight? I'll have dinner ready for you."

A small smile spread across my lips. "I would love that."

Things have been going amazing with Sterling, I can say I'm truly happy. With him by my side I feel like there's nothing I can't conquer. He's so supportive of me and I'm forever grateful for the things he's done for me, including purchasing this bakery.

"It's a date then." He smirked and I could see a flash of desire in his eyes, but he pushed it back to keep himself in control. "I'll let you get back to it then, I love you."

I leaned over and placed a kiss on his cheek. "I love you too."

Sterling left the bakery and over the next few hours I finished getting the orders ready for today and customers served. Before I knew it, closing time had hit and I was finishing up the last few things that needed my attention.

Pulling out my phone, I pulled up the contact information for Henry who was sitting outside waiting for me. Since my main worry has been the bakery, he's been out there daily to watch who goes in and out. This way I'm still protected but at the same time I'm able to still have my space.

Isabelle: Hey, I'm just finishing up! I'll be out in a few minutes.

Sending him the text isn't exactly necessary, but I like to do it out of courtesy. The man spends most of his day watching my back, the least I can tell him is that he's almost off the hook.

I put the last items away and finished wiping off the counter top. Taking one last glance over the place, I feel confident that we're ready for opening tomorrow. Then I exit the building and lock the doors behind me.

I spotted the car where Henry's parked not too far away. I shoved my keys into my purse and began to head right for him. I was only a few feet away from him when I felt fingers grip my elbow and yank me back hard.

Forced to turn around, I'm face to face with a man who's got dark eyes and a malicious look on his face. I feel a mix of fear and panic shoot through my body as it's clear this man only has bad intentions.

Gulping, I forced it all down and prepared myself to scream when I felt something against my stomach. I looked down and noticed the tip of a knife ready to stab into my skin. The fear and panic quickly began to rise back up as my stomach twisted into knots.

"Not a word." His words were dark and threatening. "You're coming with me. One wrong move and I'll slit your throat right here and let you bleed out on the sidewalk. Are we clear?"

Keeping quiet, I'm forced to answer with a nod.

"Good." He snarled while his malicious grin grew wider. "I've got someone who's been dying to see you."

He kept the knife pressed against me as he led the way to a car parked. I attempted to glance in the direction of Henry's car to see if he noticed what's going on. Unfortunately he hasn't, or they've done something to him.

The man yanked me, drawing my attention back to him as he opened the car door. He proceeded to push me into the backseat and climbed in next to me. The moment the door was closed the knife was back on my body, ready to slice into me with one wrong move.

"Let's go." The man ordered as he looked me in the eyes. "We've got a plane to catch."

My stomach instantly dropped. It's one thing to be taken and kept somewhere nearby, it's a whole nother thing to be heading for a plane. This man clearly had plans to take me away from Nashville.

"W-where are we going?" I stammered out in a panic.

I can't let them take me too far away, I need to be close. It's the only way that Sterling will be able to find me quickly.

I felt the tip of the knife sink in, enough to get my attention but not enough to actually cut me. "I told you, one word and I'll kill you. Consider this your one free pass, if you say anything else I'll make sure to keep my word."

I gulped again as I pulled my attention away from him. I began to look out of the window, I needed to think of a way to fight back. Unfortunately my mind was only drawing blanks and before I knew it, we had already made it to the air strip.