Something On His Mind

Isabelle

Damon and Sterling had returned and we all went into the dining room. While Damon remained as calm as he had been before taking his phone call, it was Sterling who was slightly off. He was a little quieter now and seemed a little more closed off. I could tell there was something weighing heavy on his mind

"It's so nice to have you all here." Martin beamed with delight as the meal was served. "It means a lot that our family is able to get together like this."

"I would have to agree with you on that Dad." Kaydence responded in a sweet voice.

Martin's face grew serious. "It's just a shame that Ava had to miss out on all of this because she couldn't grow up."

"She brought her situation upon herself." Damon spoke up in a slightly dark tone. "Let's not dwell on the family leech right now."

I knew Damon had a sister. Sterling's cousin was proof that he had a sibling. I just didn't know all the details of why she wasn't around the rest of them. By the tension at the table I could tell it was a touchy subject for the family.

Martin nodded and turned his attention to Scarlett. "How's school going young lady?"

"Fine." She smiled. "My dance team is doing really well. There's a competition coming up and I managed to snag a solo this year."

"That's wonderful." The smile returned to Martin's face. "Give me all the details and I'll make sure I'm there to give you my support."

"Of course." Scarlett nodded.

Everyone continued to make conversation with each other. I spoke mainly to Scarlett and Kaydence. Sterling still seemed to be quiet. It was like he was avoiding talking to everyone else at the table.

When dinner was finished everyone said their goodbyes. Sterling and I were the last ones to leave. He held my hand as Martin followed to walk us to the door. We turned around before exiting the mansion.

"Thanks for having us over Grandpa." Sterling spoke in a low tone.

"Yes, thank you." I gave Martin a small smile.

"Not a problem." He smiled in return as he looked at Sterling and I. "Come any time, my door is always open."

"Of course." Sterling nodded.

We proceeded to exit the mansion and head to the bright green Lamborghini. Sterling opened my door and closed it once I was inside. He then got into the driver's seat and we headed back into the city to go home.

I watched him from the passenger seat. His eyes didn't stray from the road once. His knuckles were slightly white as he was gripping the steering wheel tightly. Obviously there was still something on his mind.

"Sterling." I spoke softly to get his attention.

"Yeah?" He finally glanced over at me.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"No." He shook his head. "Why do you ask?"

"Your demeanor hasn't been the same since you went and talked with your father." I responded. "What's wrong?"

He let out a low sigh. "It's fine Sweetheart, just some business."

"Are you sure?" I had a feeling it was more than just some business.

Since I started as his assistant I had never seen him so bothered by something that was business related. He had usually remained calm and had it figured out by the time he went home.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Just some trouble with a client is all. My father and I are handling it so it's nothing that you need to worry about."

"Okay." I didn't want to push too much.

This was something that also dealt with his father, if I was supposed to know he would've told me. I could try to pry more but I needed to trust him. It also just didn't feel right to stick my nose where it didn't belong.

"If you do end up wanting to talk about whatever it is, I'm always here to listen." I may be minding my business but I wanted him to know he could come to me if needed.

"Thank you." He removed one hand from the steering wheel and placed it on my thigh. I could see him slightly begin to relax more.

"No problem." I responded.

He continued driving on the road until we reached the orphanage. I had opted to stay here tonight. I wanted to see the children and help Mrs. Strahm and Emily out a little bit before I went to bed. Besides all of my stuff was here anyway so it didn't hurt to spend a few nights on my own.

He parked the car and we both got out. He held my hand as we ascended the steps of the orphanage. We stopped outside of the front door and he pulled me into his arms.

"Thanks for coming with me today." His voice was low as he looked into my eyes with those icy blue orbs.

"It was my pleasure." I smiled.

His lips met mine as he pulled my tightly against him. One arm wrapped around my waist as he used his other hand to go to the back of my head. Our lips continued moving in sync for a moment longer. Truthfully I didn't want this kiss to end.

There was just so much excitement that ran through my body when we kissed. Butterflies seemed to flutter in my stomach each time and only went crazier the longer we had our lips practically glued together. I could stay here with him forever like this.

Finally he pulled away and we said our goodbyes. He got into the car and drove off once I was inside of the building. It was about dinner time so I made my way into the lunchroom where all the children ate. They were in the middle of their meal when I arrived.

I spent the next two hours helping out with whatever Emily and Mrs. Strahm needed. Of course part of that time they also required details about Sterling and I. They seemed to be just as excited as everyone else that we were seeing each other again.

Finally once all of the kids were down I went to my room and took a shower. It was nice and relaxing. When I finished I stepped out and checked my phone. I noticed I had a few missed calls from Sterling and multiple texts telling me to call him as soon as possible. He didn't say why but the headline on my news notification gave me all I needed to know. "Elise Tunt and Sterling Tipton call it quits, mystery woman to blame?"