Put Your Heart Into It

Isabelle

"Are you ready?" Sterling asked after he approached my desk.

"Yeah." I nodded as I got up from my seat and grabbed my bag. "Have you decided where we're going?"

"I have a few ideas." He responded as he grabbed my hand and led the way to the elevator.

"Okay."

I was still a little on guard with him. It's only been a few hours since I returned from the orphanage to notice he was in Killian's office. My gut can't shake the feeling that he's up to something which makes me nervous. When it comes to Sterling there's no telling what this is going to be about.

He continued to lead the way to his lime green Lamborghini. He opened the door for me before he slipped into the driver's seat and started it up. He then pulled out of the parking spot and headed onto the road with his guard following behind us in another car.

"So how serious is this?" I asked him from the passenger seat.

"I told you, it's nothing big." He answered as he shifted in his seat. "Just trust me Sweetheart."

I nodded in response. "Okay."

He continued driving until we reached a restaurant. He pulled the car over to the Valet and we both got out. He gave the keys to the Valet driver and took my hand as he guided me into the restaurant.

He got us checked in with the hostess and she led the way over to our table which was secluded compared to the rest. We got seated and a waiter came over to take our order. Once he had it, he walked away and went to put it in with the kitchen.

My gray orbs met those icy blue eyes. "Thank you for taking me out."

"No need to thank me." He reached a hand over and took mine into his. "I'm always happy to treat you and show you off to the world."

I felt the heat rush to my cheek as I began to blush. "Good."

"So, I wanted to ask you something." His voice grew serious which caused my stomach to twist.

"Okay." I waited for him to get on with it.

"How do you feel about working with Killian?" He questioned.

I exhaled a low breath as I prepared myself to let him know the truth. There's no sense in trying to play this off.

"Honestly, it's been fine." I answered and then continued on. "I just don't know how long I want to stick with it. Being an assistant isn't exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life. Ya know?"

"Yeah." He nodded. "I suspected that."

"But realistically it's where I'm at until I can figure things out."

His brows furrowed. "Figure things out? I thought you've always wanted to have your own bakery?"

"I do." I let out a sigh. "Here's the thing though, just because it's a dream doesn't mean I can make it a reality. I don't have the means to have my own so I would have to look at being hired on. Even then I don't have the qualifications that others have, especially since my experience is just from online videos and teaching myself how to perfect my recipes."

"Stop it." His voice was firm. "Qualifications can be a crock of shit. You'd be surprised how many people are at high levels with basic degrees or just diplomas. Qualifications look good on paper but it doesn't mean the person can handle the job. What matters is that you put your heart into it. You, Isabelle Avildsen, are destined for great things so I don't want to hear you doubt yourself again, understood?"

"This is why I love you."

No matter what, Sterling has rooted for me to be the very best that I can. I know he's right and I need to have more faith in myself.

A small grin crossed his lips. "I love you too."

The conversation ended as the waiter brought over our food. We dug right in and made some small talk, but he still didn't bother to go into the reasons he wanted to take me out.

When we finally finished Sterling paid the bill and led me out of the restaurant. We got back into the car and he pulled a tie out of his glove box.

"I need you to let me put this over your eyes." I could tell his words were an order.

My brow raised as I responded. "Why?"

"Trust me." He answered without budging on giving me any more details.

I nodded. "Okay."

I closed my eyes and leaned forward, allowing him to place the tie over my eyes. I could feel him tying it so that it stayed firmly in place. Then, his fingers moved away from me and I felt the car begin to move.

"Where are we going?" I attempted to probe for details.

"You'll see."

He continued driving until finally he pulled the car to a stop, shutting it off and getting it out. He opened my door and took my hand to help me out. I could hear the sounds of our footsteps on the concrete before we stopped and he moved behind me.

His hands gripped my hips and he brought his lips to my ear. "I love you so much Sweetheart. I want you to know I believe in you, maybe even more than I believe in myself sometimes."

"Okay?"

His fingers move to the blindfold and he begins to untie it. My eyes remain closed as he removes the piece of fabric and I feel the anticipation within me growing. I don't know what he's got in store for me so I'm nervous, but I'm excited because I have the feeling this is going to be good.

"Open." He instructed in a low voice.

My eyes opened and my brows furrowed as I looked at the building that once held my favorite bakery. "Why are we here?"

"Because you don't belong in an office catering to the needs of others." He stepped in front of me and looked me in the eyes. "You should be in the place where you're the happiest, which is living your dream and doing what you love. This, this is me helping make that dream come true."