The Same Cycle

Isabelle

I took in a low breath, letting it out as I approached the steps to the orphanage. Killian told me to go ahead and take a longer lunch today, so I decide to use my time wisely and pay Mrs. Strahm a visit.

"Hello Isabelle." Emily greeted me as I entered the building. "We weren't expecting you today, is everything alright?"

I can't blame her for asking. It seems every time I've come to the orphanage unannounced it's because something has gone wrong. I can't help it, this place has just always been a safe haven for me. But luckily, this time I'm not here for comfort.

"Everything is fine." I reassured her with a smile. "I just have some time to kill and I figured I would drop in to see Mrs. Strahm for a moment."

"Okay." Emily nodded. "She's in her office."

"Thank you."

I headed down the familiar hallway and walked toward Mrs. Strahm's office door. I gave it a few knocks and a few seconds later she opened the door. I could see she was surprised to see me, but it faded as concern took over.

"What's the matter?" She asked as she stepped aside.

"Nothing." I assured her as I stepped in and took a seat. "I just wanted to come and say hi. Is that such a bad thing?"

"No." She closed the door and took a seat across from me. "But, how are you doing? How are things going?"

"They're good." I answered honestly.

Since Sterling has started seeing Dr. Dixon things have been going well. He's kept his promise so in return I've released any negative feelings I had about the matter. It was pointless to keep them in when he was working on moving past it all.

"That's good." She smiled as she was pleased with my response. "Have you been up to anything in particular?"

"Not really." I shrugged. "I've just been doing the same thing as normal, assisting."

She raised a brow. "And how has that been?"

"Fine." Another honest answer. "Basically just the same stuff I was doing for Sterling but not as much. Killian's been a great boss as well, so I have no complaints."

"Good." She nodded.

"You know, I'm glad I chose to stay." I spoke as I glanced down before my gaze meeting hers. "I'm glad that I chose to give Sterling another chance, but I feel like I'm stuck in this same cycle."

Her brows knitted together. "What do you mean? A cycle with Sterling?"

"No." I shook my head. "I feel like I'm in this cycle of catering to everyone's needs but my own. I just don't think this assistant thing is long term for me."

"That makes sense. "She commented. "You've always been an independent and strong willed person. To be honest I was surprised to find out that you were still doing the assistant thing. I figured once you moved away you would've figured out something permanent for yourself."

"Yeah." I exhaled a low sigh. "It's just hard when you're trying to get on your feet. Now I'm just stuck here."

"You're never stuck Izzy." She reminded me. "If you're in a situation that you don't want to stay in, there's always a way to change it. It may not be easy, but there is always a way if you're determined enough."

"Yeah." I nodded in agreement.

I know she's right. If I don't want to be an assistant long term then there are ways that I can change it. It's not like I'm in a contract anymore, that went out the window when everything between Sterling and I went down.

We continued talking for a few minutes, killing some time. After about thirty minutes I decided I should probably get back to work and I'll pick up something to eat on my way back.

"I'll see you later." I spoke as I gave Mrs. Strahm a hug goodbye. "I'll be back to do something with the children very soon."

"Sounds good dear."

We parted ways and I headed back outside. I got into the car where my driver and guard, Henry, sat waiting. He pulled out of the parking lot and began to drive back to Tipton Enterprises.

He stopped when I requested and I got out to pick up a sandwich to eat for lunch. I proceeded to eat it as he made the rest of the drive. I finished down the rest of it just as he parked the car at the entrance of the building.

I went inside and headed right to the elevator. It opened up and I stepped inside to patiently wait for it to take me up to the very top of the building. The doors parted and I started to head for my desk.

I took a seat just as Killian and Sterling both walked out of Killian's office. I looked back at them with a raised brow. Considering I was told to take a longer lunch, I immediately knew that they were up to something.

"Oh, her Izzy." Killian greeted me.

"What are you two up to?" I asked as I looked between Sterling and him. "Was there a meeting I wasn't allowed to be a part of?"

"Nothing important." Sterling took the lead, which obviously relieved Killian. "I was just relaying a message to him from my father. How was your lunch?"

"It was good." I answered as I let go of pushing for more information.

"Good." Sterling leaned over and planted a kiss on my cheek. "There's a few things I need to discuss with you tonight. How do you feel about dinner?"

"I can do dinner." I answered as I felt the urge to question him return. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." He replied while keeping his face firm which made him hard to read. "Nothing big anyway. We'll go to dinner after I finish my work for the evening."

"Okay."

Then, he turned around and headed back to his office. When I looked behind me, I noticed Killian was now gone too. It only made me that much sure that they're both up to something.

**Author's Note**

I promise, Sterling will be giving Izzy the bakery this week!

Also, just some news for anyone interested. I'm working on getting an update out for The Luna To The Throne today! Also, The Damaged Boy has officially dropped on Amazon and Kindle! Check it out if you'd like to support me and read the changes made to Alex and Chloe's story! As always, thank you for your love and support <3