You Can Do This

Sterling

"Is everything okay?" I asked as I closed the gap between my father and I.

"Have a seat." He motioned over to the chair in front of his desk. "We need to talk."

"Okay." My eyes carefully watched him as I did what I was told, taking a seat while he took his. "I didn't think I fucked things up this week."

"You didn't." He responded. "You've ran things quite well actually."

"Then what's the matter?" I continued to press for answers. "Did something happen to mom? Scarlett? Samuel? Grandfather? What the fuck is going on?!"

I gripped the armrest of the chair tightly as agitated breaths flare my nostrils. I could feel myself getting worked up as my patience was running thin. I had to begin taking in deep breaths and letting them out in an attempt to control myself.

"Calm down." My father looked at me seriously as he noticed I was getting irritated. "Everyone is fine. This conversation we're about to have deals with you."

Confusion replaced the agitation inside of me. "What about me?"

He let out a low breath. "With this time off, I've been thinking about a few things."

"Okay."

"I've been both the president and the CEO of Tipton Enterprises for over fifteen years now." He continued on. "As much as I enjoy what I do, I know I'm not getting any younger. For God sake I'm almost fifty years old at this point."

I raised a brow. "So what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I've used this time away as a test." His blue orbs met mine. "I've wanted to see how you've done things without me. I've been very pleased at how it's turned out. I want to promote you from Vice President to President."

I gulped as he relayed the information. I figured one day that this was going to happen, but I didn't expect it so soon. This is a huge deal, especially for my father who I was sure wouldn't give up any power until he was on his deathbed.

"A-are you sure?" I stammered out.

"Yes." He nodded as he continued to hold eye contact. "You know I wouldn't mention it if I wasn't serious about it."

"But what if I'm not ready?" I asked.

As much as I want the position I'm only twenty-three and I still feel like I have a lot to learn. This promotion comes with a lot of stress and responsibility.

"Sterling, you are ready." He assured me with confidence. "You've been preparing for this ever since you took interest in the business world. On top of that, you've practically been in the position since Samuel was born. You can do this."

I drew in a deep breath and let it out, letting my reservations out with it. He's got valid points and I need to have confidence in myself. Just because I'm not my father doesn't mean that I can't help run this company just as well as he can. After all, it is his blood pumping through my veins.

"Besides, it's not like you'll be running things alone." He added, pulling my attention back to him. "I still intend to keep my position as the CEO. I will give you the ideas I would like to have put in place, your job is just to make it happen."

"I can do that." I felt at ease once he explained it like that. "I can do it."

He looked pleased as he slightly leaned back in his chair. "This promotion is a big deal, it's big enough that it will make headlines. It's important that you maintain a good image right now. Understood?"

I nodded in response. "Understood."

"This means we need to keep a closer watch on the Tunts." His words were serious and caused the agitation to come back inside of me. "I'm sure that once word gets around, they may get bold and try to use this time to bring us down in an attempt to get their lives back."

I gripped the armrest on the chair again as a deep breath left my body. "I'll make sure they don't step a toe out of line."

"Good." He replied. "The promotion won't take effect for a few weeks. Your grandfather has always liked to make an event out of things like this. I can imagine he'd want one especially for his grandson."

"Alright."

"Do you have any questions for me?"

"Who gets my spot?" I know it's been planned out for Killian to get it, but I need to know we're on the same page here.

"Well, that's up to you." He answered. "Consider it your first decision to make."

"Killian is the best choice." There's multiple reasons to have him in the Vice President seat. "We work well together and he's done fantastic in the manager seat."

"You don't have to sell it to me." The serious expression continued to remain on his face. "I trust your judgment."

"I have one other question." I informed him.

His eyes watched me curiously. "What is it?"

"Isabelle." Her name rolled off my lips. "Will I need to let her go? It may look bad considering we're in a relationship."

The news could possibly make her think the bakery is hers for the fact I have to let her go. It could be just another thing to taint it so that it gets put off even longer.

"Do you want my honest opinion?" He questioned.

"Of course."

"Just because you eat pussy doesn't mean you can act like one." He was blunt, but this is what I asked for. "Give her the fucking bakery already. What are you waiting for?"

"I don't want her to take it the wrong way." I confessed. "I don't want her to think I've done it out of guilt or to win her over."

"She's still with you after all of the shit she's been through, she loves you and clearly she's by your side." He continued on. "The best thing you can do is give her the bakery and make sure she knows how much you believe in her."

He's right. I know he is.

He's had experience doing this same thing for Kaydence. It worked out for them so I need to feel confident that it'll work out for us as well.

"Now work on getting it planned out." I can tell that this is an order from him. "While you do, I'll work on getting with the agency to find another assistant for him that he won't fuck."