Where Did She Go?

Sterling

I left my office and headed right for Killian's. I couldn't help the confusion that washed over my face as I noticed Isabelle's empty seat. She's the whole reason I came over here, I wanted to make some plans with her tomorrow for my birthday.

Killian exited from his office and noticed me standing there. For a split second he had a look on his face like he was just caught doing something. Of course, this only drew my attention more and I could feel in my gut Isabelle must not just be off completing a task.

"Hey Sterling." He greeted me calmly as he walked over to me. "Is there something that I can help you with?"

"Where's Isabelle?" I felt no need to put off getting to my point. "She was here this morning, where did she go?"

"Geeze." Killian exhaled a low breath. "Nice to see you too buddy."

"Killian." There was a hint of a warning in my tone, letting him know not to push me right now.

"Fine." A look of defeat washed over his face. "Your father decided to send Isabelle and me to handle a client."

My brows furrowed as this only raised more questions than answers. "Why in the hell would he do that?"

"I'll take a wild guess it's because your birthday is tomorrow." Killian casually shrugged. "Maybe he figured that you wanted to be with your family instead of dealing with clients."

I could feel the rage inside of me pooling. The only thing I wanted for my damn birthday this year was to spend it with Isabelle. It was going to be the first one I've had with her in years, but of course my father has to go and fuck it all up.

I clenched my fist tightly as I fought the urge to go into his office and give him a piece of my mind. I know the odds are he did this for my mother. Ever since they've brought me home from the orphanage she's made it a point to give me the best birthday's she can.

Taking in a deep breath, I exhaled. "When will you two be back then?"

"Depends on how things go." Killian answered. "If all goes well then we'll be back on Sunday, most likely in the evening."

An agitated breath left my body, causing my nostrils to flare. From the sounds of it, I won't be seeing her until Monday morning most likely.

"Thank you." I forced myself to remain calm as I turned around and headed out of my office.

I stepped back inside of mine and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I pulled up her name and dialed, hoping that she would answer quickly so I could at least talk to her. Only God knows how long I have before she boards a plane.

"Hey." She spoke once she answered, I could sense in her voice she was nervous. "What's up?"

"I heard you're going to be gone for the weekend." I kept calm, the last thing I want is for her to think I'm frustrated with her before she leaves.

"Yeah." I could hear her sigh over the phone. "I'm sorry Sterling, I wish there was something I could do. It's more important for you to be with your family though, we can do something together when I get back. Okay?"

"Okay." Of course I didn't want to agree, but it's not like I have another choice.

"Hey, I have to finish packing but I'll call you tonight." Isabelle spoke, making it clear she needed to go.

"I'll talk to you later." I clenched my phone tightly as I brought it down from my ear and the call disconnected.

The phone on my desk began to ring, I already know Eve's the one on the other end. So far she's been a pretty good fit. I like that she's very professional and organized, Isabelle was the same but she was more distracting than I realized.

I picked up the phone, forcing my annoyance away. "What is it?"

"Your father has asked for you." Eve informed me. "He's in his office waiting for you."

"Thank you." I hung up the phone and began to march out of my office.

If there was one person I had no problem venting my frustration out to, it would be him right now. Especially since he's the one who's responsible for screwing up my plans. He could have at least consulted me first.

I opened the door to his office, causing him to turn around and look at me from where he stood at the window. These same windows used to scare me, eventually after looking out of them with him more times than I can count I've gotten a lot more comfortable with them.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked, trying to keep my cool so that this conversation is kept as civil as possible.

"Yes." He began to walk over to me. "Your mother wants you to come over for dinner tomorrow. There's nothing big planned due to the pregnancy, but she wants to have dinner with you on your birthday."

"Okay." I nodded, then proceeded to look him in the eyes. "I've heard you sent Isabelle and Killian off, did you think of asking me about that first?"

"No." He doesn't even bother to hide it. " I know you're probably upset but they're the only two equipped to handle a client like this."

"Of course I'm upset." I rolled my eyes. "It's my birthday and I can't even dictate who's going to be present for it."

"Son, this was something your mother has been planning for weeks." His icy eyes looked into mine seriously. "Do you want me to tell her to call it off? I can do that if you really want but we both know how that will go."

He's right, I do know how that'll go. He'll try to get it canceled and she won't even entertain the idea. In fact, he and I will end up getting a stern talking to for even bringing up the ridiculous idea of canceling what she's worked so hard on.

In the end, she'll have the final say and causing her any stress right now isn't fair. I'll have to put my feelings aside because it's not worth upsetting her. She's done so much for me over the years, the least I can do is allow her to have dinner without me causing an uproar over it.

"Fine." I exhaled a low breath. "Is it at least possible for you to help them along in getting this deal sorted so I can have Sunday with Isabelle."

"That I can do." He responded as if it were no big deal. "Now I have some work that needs to get done, I'll see you tomorrow for dinner."

"See you tomorrow." I turned and left the room.

It wasn't much but at least it was something.