Chapter 83 || Desperate Times

Ava POV*

I made it back home just after dark. My walk had taken longer than I wanted. But I felt a little better than before.

I went inside the house. When I closed the door behind me I could hear more than one voice in the room. I put my jacket away and headed to my dad's room, hoping he was awake. But when I got there I realized it wasn't his voice I was hearing.

I let go of the door and went in. Beside the bed were Callum, and Mr. Bowman. They both looked over at me as I joined them.

"Hey, you're back." Callum smiled as he sat up a little. I nodded as I looked closer at them.

That's when I heard him. Dad was awake again.

"Ah, there you are." He tried. But his voice was very faint. I couldn't help but smile as I dropped down next to him.

"Yeah, I just got home," I said back. He smiled at me and then looked back at the others. I looked up at Mr. Bowman concerned. A look on my face as is the ask him if everything was okay.

He smiled as he wrote something down on a notepad. "Don't worry, I'm just checking in." He tried to reassure me. I turned back to my dad and stayed next to him as Mr. Bowman continued his check-up.

He was silent primarily aside from the occasional question for my dad. He could answer some of them with a simple yes or no, but towards the end, he only nodded or shook his head. As speaking became too difficult.

I sat next to them silently as I watched them, zoning out halfway until Callum pulled me back from my thoughts.

"Ava," I looked up tiredly at him.

"Maybe you should go eat something, you missed dinner after all.." he suggested. I let out a yawn as I got up from my seat. I nodded and made my way to the door. "I saved some for you." He added as I left the room.

I wanted to stay but I was also pretty hungry. So I just left instead of arguing to stay.

I went to the kitchen but couldn't find the food Callum was talking about. There were some pans on the stove but they were empty. I let out a sigh and made my way back to the room. but just before I could walk in, their conversation stopped me.

"Are you sure there's nothing more you can do?" I heard Callum sigh.

"I'm sorry, but besides the medicine, I don't know what else there is to do." Mr. Bowman answered.

"But you said it isn't working anymore-" Callum said back.

Wait- what. Not working? Please don't tell me-

"I know, I'm really sorry."

I froze as I stood behind the door. I shouldn't have come back. I felt tears form in my eyes. Now there really isn't any hope anymore, dad was going to die, and we didn't even know why. If we did we could cure him.

"Right, okay." Callum took a deep breath. "Thank you, for everything." He said.

"I just wish there was more I could do."

"You've done all you can."

I heard some shuffling of the chairs and realized they were leaving. I quickly turned around and ran away from the door. I didn't stop in the kitchen. I ran to the back door and away from the house.

I didn't care where, or how far, I just ran, away from the house, and away from the feelings I felt. Until I couldn't see the house anymore.

I breathed heavily as I stopped next to a tree. I leaned against it and let all the emotion out. Tears streamed down my face as I tried my best to control my breathing. This really was the worst day of my life. I've never felt this miserable before in my life.

I sunk down onto the floor as I continued sobbing. Pulling my legs close to my chest in an attempt to comfort myself.

It was cold and dark, the moon was just slightly visible. The wind blew over me as I finally calmed down a bit. Making me aware of just how much I had been crying, as the cold blew onto my face.

I wiped away my tears and took a deep breath. No matter how much I cry, it's not going to change anything. The medicine just isn't enough anymore. And we simply can't afford more of it. Unless I get a job of my own. Or-

My thoughts were interrupted by a sudden noise behind me. I got up quickly and turned towards the noise, my heart racing. But I couldn't see anything. I walked towards the noise cautiously.

I kept walking until I neared a clearing. There was a figure walking around in it. When I got closer I realized it was Isaac. He paced around the clearing anxiously. I couldn't see why, he must've been lost in thought.

I thought about walking up to him. It would be nice to talk to a friend after everything that happened. But there was something about him that told me not to get closer.

Suddenly he took a deep breath and stopped walking. "Alright!" He said to himself. He turned around and started to walk off.

Curiosity got the best of me and before I knew it I was following him. I stayed far behind him to not attract his attention. It didn't seem like he was going home, but if he realized I was behind him he definitely would be.

The walk was only a few minutes before he stopped. He looked around him to make sure there was no one before he walked the last few meters to what looked like a building, but it was too dark for me to make anything out.

I followed him until I could make out a door, He opened it, and after looking around a final time he went inside.

I stood there confused. What was going on here? Why did he just go into this random abandoned building in the middle of the forest? That's when I remembered what he told me last time.

I took a step back as my brain connected the dots. This must be where he has been hiding. Where the werewolf has been hiding. I didn't know what to do. Part of me wanted to pretend I didn't find out. But the other part realized what this could mean for my dad. What I could gain.

I didn't stay long. The cold got to me and before I could make a decision I was already walking back home. but not without making a mental note of where the building was.