Chapter 35 || New Hideout

Isaac POV*

We went over the plan a couple of times on our way to town, just to be sure. We had waited for Lukas to be healed up a little me. For some reason, this time was a lot worse than normal. I had overheard Aubrey saying that to him but neither had an explanation.

Deep down, I was a little disappointed I didn't get to see what had happened down there. And of course, I felt bad about the potion not working.

"So do you want to do it right away, or what?" Aubrey asked, I shook my head. "No of course not, we need to plan this just right- I was thinking after dark," I explained.

"So then why are we going to town already?" Lukas asked. "Well, mostly to get to the church as soon as we could..." I said quietly, it was both for convenience but I was also worried. Those hunters know about them, and they know where to find them, or at least- they know where the house is.

So I kind of used the church as an excuse to get them out of there, not that'll ever admit that to them. "So we could get everything ready," I added. "It would be annoying if we had to do this whole plan without knowing the place we'll be hiding at." I smiled, turning around.

"Aw, he cares about us." I heard Aubrey laugh as she followed me as I walked inside the church. Well, she's half right. We walked through the church carefully, I didn't know in what state it was. For all I knew it could be close to falling apart but, looking around, it seemed to be the exact opposite.

It looked fine, almost as if nothing happened. Besides the obvious s8lence and a couple of plants growing out of the floor, it looked fine.

"Are you sure this is abandoned?" Lukas noted as he walked through the aisles. "Yeah, I'm sure," I said back as I walked up to the altar.

"It looks awesome.." Aubrey said excitedly, we both looked at her confused, earlier she didn't seem too happy to be near a church. "For a church, of course." She caught herself. I laughed as I got up the small steps and turned around, looking over the room, I might ve spending a lot of time here.

I watched as Aubrey and Lukas also made their way towards the front and sat down on some of the only benches still standing upright.

"I can get used to this." Lukas sighed as she leaned back. "Yeah, sure beats that old house you picked." Aubrey teased as she sat across from him. "I didn't 'pick' anything. I was kind of chased out there. With nowhere else to go." He said sarcastically. "You could've picked a better abandoned house." She shot back. I saw Lukas sit up, ready to continue this argument.

"Alright-" I stopped them. "That's over now, you can stay here." I smiled. Lukas sat back down. I took in a deep breath before I spoke again. "Do you think you'll be okay here?" I asked them as k stood in front of them.

"Yeah, sure," Aubrey said as she got even more comfortable in her seat. "Great. Because I should go back home." I rushed down the steps and headed towards the door, "wait-" Lukas got up, walking after me. He stopped me as I reached the door. "Your gonna leave already?" He asked. "I've been gone for almost two days now, My dad's probably wondering where I've been..." I explained, laughing slightly. He let go of my arm, "right- you e got a point there.." he said awkwardly.

I smiled as I turned to him. "I'll be back tomorrow, we still have a plan, remember." I smiled as I opened the door. "Yeah." He nodded. I walked out the door and headed home. Looking back once before I turned the corner, I hope they'll be safe there.

I got home a little later, the sun was starting to set. I carefully snuck into the shop. I was hoping to avoid my dad a little longer, at least until I had come up with a good excuse. He still doesn't want me hanging out with Lukas. and he doesn't even know about Aubrey. And if he knew they were werewolves he'd flip.

He wasn't in the shop, which made sense, since we weren't open today. Yesterday I was lucky to get a day off. But today I was supposed to show up, and I didn't.

I silently made my way into the back and tried to get up to my room. Maybe I can pretend I overslept. If he hasn't checked on me already. But that plan quickly failed, before it even started.

"I was wondering when you would join me." I heard my dad's voice from behind me. I silently cursed to myself as I slowly turned around. He was behind his work table, doing who knows what. Something I was probably supposed to be helping with.

I stood there awkwardly, not sure what to say as he stared at me. "So where were you all this time?" He asked seriously. "I uh- I was with Ava." I lied. I couldn't think of anything else.

He stared at me silently, I wasn't sure if he believed me or not, but the silence was worse than anything he would say next. "I see..." he looked back at his worktable and closed the book he was reading as a small smile showed on his face. I looked at him confused as he leaned in the chair, "I knew you'd end up like that." He laughed to himself. "What do you-" I stood there surprised, he didn't mean.

"Wait, no it's not like that-" I defended, but he let out another laugh. "You don't have to get defensive, it's okay." He held out his hands. "I'm just happy you finally found someone," he said as he stood up. "No- I-" I wanted so badly to correct him but what would I even say? It's not like I can tell him the truth. He seems happy now so why change that, besides, this could be a good excuse to sneak out more...

"But- next time tell me when you staying over." He winked as he turned to the table. I felt a blush cover my face, knowing exactly what he meant by that. "Now- time for dinner," he said as he sat down at the table.

I hesitantly joined him. The food was already made and set. Hopefully, it hasn't gone cold, that would only make me feel more guilty. Luckily it wasn't it was still really hot.

We ate in silence, mostly because I didn't want to talk about what was on my dad's mind at the moment. We both just sat there and ate out food. Afterward, I helped him clean up and quickly went up to my room. I took a quick shower. I've been in the woods for almost two days, and a lot happened in that short time. After showering I threw on a fresh pair of clothes. And with that, I mean a simple shirt since I was going to sleep anyway.

At least that's what I told dad. I still had one last thing to do. I thought of a little side plan on my own, to help Marc escape. I'm sure I can get past the guard if I told him I was there to give him a potion. He might be suspicious and ask for proof, so I needed to make something. I'm not that confident I can make something harmless in a short time, so instead of a real potion, I'll just make some colored water.

I waited until my dad fell asleep. His room was next to mine so I got just quietly listened for his snores. It's a miracle I can sleep through that. After I was completely sure he was asleep I quietly made my way downstairs. I snuck into his workstation and quickly grabbed an empty bottle. Luckily there was still some water in some of than because he was in here earlier.

I grabbed some ingredients I knew wouldn't do anything and mixed them into the water until they turned blue. I stared at the liquid for a bit before taking it upstairs.

I did it! That one part down, now ill just have to convince the guard to let me in tomorrow. I got back upstairs but just as I was about to enter my room, my dad's door opened. I froze as I quickly hid the bottle behind my back. He smiled at me as he closed his door behind him. "Can't sleep?" He asked. I shook my head, "no- I just- needed to go to the bathroom." I lied again. I was starting to hate that a bit. He nodded and walked past me.

I watched as he walked downstairs before quickly walking into my room leaning against my door as it closed. That was so close. My heart was pounding in my chest. I let out a breath, all this sneaking around is getting pretty exhausting.

I walked up to my desk and put the bottle in my bag, together with some other supplies I will be using. After I had finished packing everything I got back into my bed, letting out another sigh as I got under the covers.

I really did miss my bed, it's way better than that abandoned couch from last night. It didn't take long for me to drift into sleep.