Chapter 12 || Talk

Isaac POV*

"Isaac, are you okay?" Ava's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. "Y-yeah I'm fine," I said shaking my head.

"Are you sure, you don't look that good?" She asked again as she walked up to me.

"Just- bad memories." I laughed awkwardly. She continued to look at me concerned. I composed myself before walking toward the tree.

"But we have some pretty good memories here too." I smiled, and she forced a smile and followed me. "Well I guess"

After my mom, Ava, and I played a lot here. Every day after we were done with our chores and lessons we would sneak off to the treehouse. At first, it was a bit painful, we didn't build it for nothing.

It's gotten a bit worn down since then. Wood had started rotting and the swing had long broken off.

Same for the slide, which now served as a nice nest for any rats or rabbits nearby.

We climbed up and admired our little 'base'. "It still looks the same." Ava laughed. I agreed as I looked around.

I found some old stuff we must've left behind d and it just hit me how long it's been since we've been in here. It might be close to 10 years.

"Wow Isaac, look at this," Ava called me over to the corner. I got closer to look at what she was pointing at. "Our names are still here." She smiled.

I looked down at the wall and there were our names scratched into the wood. I let out a faint laugh as I noticed my mom's name was on there as well.

We both laughed as we found the old fold-up chairs and sat on them, praying they wouldn't collapse from the years of buildup rust.

"So why did you want to go out here anyway," Ava asked after a bit of silence. "I thought it might be nice to hang out like we used to" I shrugged. She looked at me confused.

"We didn't have to come all the way here just for that," she smiled. I let out a short laugh.

"No that's right, but I wanted to," I said quietly. She nodded. "It is nice to be back,"

- - - -

We stayed there for quite a while, talking about all the things we used to do. Talking about, playing in this treehouse and other things. It was nice, this was what I was hoping for.

"Hey, uhm... I just wanted to say." I started. She stopped what she was doing and focused her attention on me. "I didn't mean to make you worried.." I said, coming back to what happened yesterday.

"It's not your fault, you're just being... well you." She laughed. "What is that supposed to mean?" I smiled.

"Well, you just like trusting people easily, and sometimes it's gone wrong.." She said.

"What- name one time-" I defended. "Jordan Micheal, 5 years ago." She answered immediately.

"Well-" I tried to defend, but I realized she had a point there. She laughed for a bit before speaking again.

"Listen, I know you, and I'm sure he's trustworthy, but it gonna take me a bit before fully getting there." She said. "And maybe I have been a little jealous." She added quietly.

"It's fine, I shouldn't have left you yesterday, that was rude." I looked down. "Yes. It was." She said harshly...

I looked up smiling. "I'm sorry?" I apologized. She sighed. "You are forgiven." She said.

"So do you still want to check the traps with me?" She asked again. "We can check, but I'm not sure we're gonna find anything." I laughed.

"You don't know that-" she defended as she got up and went down the treehouse. "There's not gonna be any werewolves, that's for sure," I yelled after her a si followed. "We'll see-"

- - - -

And I was right. We went around the whole forest to check all of her traps, but as expected we found nothing but some rabbits and even a couple of deer.

Ava walked home defeated and disappointed as I followed her back home.

"Did you expect to find anything else?" I asked. "Well I was hoping we would, but no not really." She admitted.

"You shouldn't hope so much, the whole reward thing might just be someone making a joke. Or maybe they saw a wolf and just assumed it was a werewolf for some reason." I explained.

"It might be, but what if it's not? What if it's legit." She said, getting her energy back.

"How cool would it be if there was an actual werewolf out there, and what if we caught it? We'd be rich." She yelled, excited about the idea.

"It wouldn't be that cool, it would be terrifying," I said to her. "If there was it wouldn't be very safe," I explained.

"And yet you keep sneaking into the forest to see that new friend of yours." She nudged my arm.

"Yeah, that's because there's no proof of any kind. Also, he told me they're extinct-" I stopped myself as I realized what I was saying.

"Wait he told you that-" Ava asked surprised. "Why would he know that-"

"I- I didn't say anything-" I said as I walked faster. "Yeah, you did! Wait a second." She ran after me and stopped me.

"He told you they were extinct and you didn't even question why or how he would know that-" she said, raising her voice.

"Well he had a whole story-" I said quietly. " Yes, and that's automatically the truth." She said disappointed.

"For all, we know he knows it's out there and he's just trying to keep it and the money for himself," she said again.

"It's not just him my dad- Ah" shit, why do I keep telling her stuff.

"What about you Dad?!" She asked again. Her face had started to turn into a smile because she had most likely taken all of this as proof that werewolves do exist.

"Oh just- can we just go home- I-" but she stopped me. "No, you gotta tell me what you know." She said seriously I let out a sigh as I gave up. "Fine.."

- - - -

We walked home through the forest as I told her everything Lukas and my dad had told me in these last two weeks. She listened enthusiastically because to her this was all just probing her theory.

"Okay so say it one more time," she laughed... "Yes, werewolves did exist." I sighed.

She did a little quiet dance. "AHA I KNEW IT" She squealed. She kept dancing for a couple of meters. "Okay I get it, but Lukas said-"

"I don't believe him, he would be wrong as well, what if he saw this random family die, how would he know those were the last ones." She said skeptically.

I had to admit, there was some truth in that.

"Man I still don't understand you, you are a walking 'mythical creature', and yet you still doubt the existence of werewolves. I mean, your dad told you about them and you still don't believe it." She said.

"It's is not that I don't believe it, I just don't think there's one out in the forest," I explained.

"Need I remind you of when you heard a branch snap and scream like a little schoolgirl." She giggled.

"That wasn't- that's because you're way too over the top about it-" I defended.

"Yeah yeah.." She laughed. "But you do know that now you told me this I'm gonna put up more traps."

I sighed heavily. "You do whatever you want-." I didn't want to argue anymore.

"So are you going to help me?" She said smugly. "Sorry I can't, I promised my dad to work the shop tomorrow, I haven't been home that much lately-" I admitted.

"Darn, well okay. I'll just stop by to tell you what I found then." She said happily.

"I'm sure you will-"