Chapter 3 || Way Home

??? POV*

Damn! Where did he go" one of the men boomed. "How the hell am I supposed to know" another answered.

"Well I saw him trip, so he probably fell down the hill" a young voice sounded from the crowd. "Then he's probably dead already" the first man answered.

There were some murmurs that I couldn't quite make out. But not too long after the group started making their way back.

I let out a long sigh as I slid down against the tree. I pulled my legs to my chest. Trying to catch my breath from all the running. I was safe. For now.

I sat in the dark for a long time. The only thing heard was the sound of sobs, and here and there some rustling in the woods from animals or the wind.

I once again thought back to his family who I was so close with only hours before.

Now here I was, stranded in an unfamiliar part of the woods. I finally got the strength they got back up and walked around as the sun started to rise, hoping to find somewhere I would be safer.

- - - -
Isaac POV*

I looked closer at the person walking up to the house. Isn't that the guy from yesterday? I kept looking as he walked towards the front door. Suddenly he turned and our eyes met.

He looked at me confused before he took a step closer. "Hey, you!" He yelled. I panicked for a second before stepping away from the wall. Smiling awkwardly.

His guard dropped. "You?" He asked, still confused. "Yeah, sorry. I got lost on my way home, somehow I ended up here" I explained as I stood there awkwardly. His face turned to smile and he laughed. "It's fine." I smiled shyly and walked up to him. "Do you need help getting back?" He asked. I nodded, not making eye contact. "Yes please."

"Let me just put this away real quick" he smiled as he held up his bag. I looked at him confused. "Wait you live here?" I asked pointing at the house. He looked over at the house awkwardly. "Yeah.." he didn't sound all that happy about it.

He smiled at me again. "I'll be right back" he went to the house, leaving me outside as I looked around curiously. It didn't look that well taken care of. The house itself seemed fine. But just over to the side stood a small shed-looking building. The lock and handle rusted, so much it looked like they wouldn't open so easily. Is this really where he lived? I asked myself as I looked back at the house.

Some of the lights inside were turned off, aside from a small light next to the front door, probably to find his way back. He got out and searched for me. As soon as he saw me next to the shed he closed the door behind him and walked up to me. "So, where to?" Be laughed.

"Just back to town please," I said feeling a bit embarrassed. He didn't say anything and just nodded. But something about the way he looked made me think he was scared to go. But that quickly changed into a smile again as he showed me the way.

I followed him into the forest again, sticking close to not lose my way again. "So why were you so deep in the forest anyway" he tried to make small talk.

It helped, as I wasn't so much focused on the dark trees and unfamiliar parts around me and just focused on talking instead. "Well I wasn't supposed to go so far, I was just picking up stuff for my father" I explained. He looked over. "What kind of stuff?"

I laughed awkwardly. "It's hard to explain," I said as I looked at the ground. He kept looking at me, waiting for the explanation. "Well, you see... my father is kind of, a witch," I said simply. He looked surprised "What?" He laughed,

"Yeah... not only that he opened a shop in town and I pretty much spend my entire day behind the counter." I continued. "And today he was finally gonna show me how to make potions, something I've been asking him about pretty much every morning..." I looked over to see if he was still listening.

He was still just quietly walking me back, looking at me while every once in a while checking if he was still going the right way. I smiled to myself as I finished the story. "He gave me a list of ingredients, all I had to do was collect them, but I got lost somewhere while I was looking for them, and now it'll be too late for him to teach me," I said as I looked down again.

"I'm sure it'll be fine, you can look for the rest tomorrow right?" He reassured me. "Yeah sure," I laughed "ill probably just get lost again." I sighed. He looked around for a second. "I mean I can always help you." He suggested.

My eyes widened as I stopped. He took a few more steps before realizing I had stopped and turned around. "You would?" I asked. He let out a laugh. "Yeah of course, why not, I know these woods like the back of my hand" he bragged.

"Oh my god that would be awesome" I smiled a so walked up to him again. He smiled at me, and that compared to the soft light of the lantern hitting his face I felt something... I could feel myself starting to blush. I cleared my throat and turned back to the forest. "So how far is it, I'm hungry," I said trying to change the subject.

"We're almost there, just a little bit further," he said as he started walking again. I took a deep breath and followed him. What the hell was that?

- - - -

A little later I started to recognize the trees. Or at least it felt like I did. And not to see I saw light from what I assumed to be the town. "Finally..." I sighed. "I can sleep"

I heard him laugh and turned around. "I'm sorry" I smiled "Thank you for taking me back." He nodded as he continued to walk towards the town.

"So guess it's your turn to show me the way." He smiled. I got confused for a second until I got it. "I- You don't have to take me that far, I'm sure you also want to go home..." I said shyly, not sure why I felt so embarrassed about him taking me all the way home.

He shook his head "No it's fine, I came out here, I want to make sure you get home safe" he smiled warmly. I let out an embarrassed laugh. "Okay.." He put out his lantern as he patiently waited for me to start walking into town.

I turned around and started walking towards the shop. He kept walking close to me as he looked around curiously. "You live here." He joked. I laughed. "Well around here, I guess"

We continued to walk as he looked around in awe, asking me a couple of questions as I showed him around, for a little bit that is, I did have to go home rather quickly.

We eventually made it to the shop. Luckily it looked like my dad was still up. Judging by the lights on the first floor. I sighed as I walked up to the door, turning around today goodbye.

"Thanks.., uh... Lukas, right?" I said, trying to remember his name. He nodded, "Correct.. uh" he looked confused. "I don't think I ever got your name," he smiled.

I looked at him shocked, "Oh my god you're right." Embarrassed I dragged my hand across my face. "It's Isaac..." j answered embarrassed.

"Well nice to meet you, Isaac" he smiled "and you're welcome." I stood there for a bit, just smiling awkwardly. "Well see you around." He said as he waved goodbye. "Yeah.." I kept looking at him until he disappeared back towards the woods. When I heard my dad from behind me. "So where have you been?"

Oh no...