Chapter 38 || Hit

⚠️ little bit of gore ⚠️

Isaac POV*

I stumbled through the forest, as fast as I could, now that I only had one good leg. Marc ran after me. I could feel he was holding back quite a lot as to not leave me alone. "Where are we going anyway?"

"Just leading them away from the church," I said back, as I struggled to run. "That place was a church?" He asked surprised. "Yeah," I said back simply.

"Kind of a weird place to hide someone?" He said to himself. I didn't say anything back. It's not like I had much of a choice.

I looked around through the trees, not seeing the hunter anymore I showed down a bit, that didn't work out last time but I can't run anymore, it hurt too much.

"So what's your plan?" Marc asked as he supported me a bit. "Just need to get somewhere safe so-" I stopped myself, not sure if I should tell him or not.

"So what?" He asked. "Doesn't matter right now." I sighed. Suddenly I could see the familiar sight of our treehouse emerge from the trees. "There," I said to Marc as I pointed towards it.

"That's where you wanna go?" He asked surprised. I nodded a si sped up again. "How do you plan on getting up there?" He kept asking. "I don't know, climb?" I said. Yeah, sure, it would hurt like hell, but there wasn't another way.

"Rather you than me, kid." He sighed as he let go of me so he could run too. We reached the treehouse. I looked up, gathering the courage and preparing for the pain I was about to feel.

Suddenly the sound of a branch snapping in the distance gave me just that last bit of courage I needed. "Come on," I said to Marc as I grabbed the ladder.

I lifted myself, trying to use my hurt leg as less as possible. But even though I was barely leaning on it hurt a lot. I tried my best to not make any noise.

I got up finally and took a few seconds to catch my breath before lifting myself inside. I turned around ad watched Marc climb up after me. He walked past me and I took the ladder, lifting it so the way in was gone.

I got up and limped my way to the corner of the treehouse and dropped down. Letting out a deep breath. Marc sat down next to me as he also caught his breath.

We sat in silence for a bit as we listened to the voices in the forest. "You seriously let him escape?!" A voice yelled. "You're the one who missed!" The other yelled back. "Not only that you lost one of the good arrows." He added.

What did that mean?

Please don't tell me he meant it was one with poison. Even though it won't affect me the same as it would Marc, it still cant be safe. I need to get this out, as soon as possible. 

I looked down at my leg, the arrow still firmly planted inside, just above my knee. How did I even run this much on that?

I grabbed my bag, quickly looking inside, hoping to find a blood bag inside. But of course, I didn't bring any. I dropped my bag, leaning against the wall. What now?

I let out a sigh as I got quiet. The voices got quieter until we didn't hear them anymore. I could see Marc occasionally move next to me.

"What are you doing?" I eventually asked when it started to irritate me. "Damn rats everywhere. How old is this thing?" He groaned as he finally got up. I let out a laugh. "It's pretty old," I said back.

I sat up straight, taking in a shark breath as I moved my leg. Marc turned his attention to me as he heard me struggle. He sat down beside me, looking towards my leg. "We gotta do something about this." He sighed as he studied it. "Yeah, I would if I just had-" I stopped myself when I realized-

"did you say there were rats in here?" I asked Marc. He looked over confused. "Yeah but what does that have to do with-" he started. "Can you get me one?" I stopped him, looking him in the eyes.

He looked at me confused, but soon realized I was serious. He turned back around and focused on the sounds of the rats. This was the last thing I wanted, but I can't go anywhere without healing first, and they're only one way I could do that.

Marc got up and turned towards the corner. I watched as he knelt, fully concentrated on the rats. After e few seconds of silence, the rat curiously stuck its head out of the hole in the wall. We watched as it carefully walked out. As soon as its whole body was out, Marc moved quickly, grabbing it. It didn't stand a chance against him. I looked at him in awe as he held onto the rat, which was now trying to squeeze Its way out of Marc's grasp.

He stood there silently, lost in thought before I spoke again. "Marc?" I asked carefully. He lightly shook his head, then turned back to me. "Yeah, I'm good." He said before walking back towards me. He sat down again and handed me the rat.

I stared at it sadly. I don't want to do this, but I have to. I sighed as I stared at my leg. I grabbed the arrow and quickly pulled it out of my leg, blood poured out as I let pit a shark breath. "What are you-" Marc yelled, but he didn't even finish his sentence as I quickly bit down into the rat. I felt my fags grow, piercing the rats' skin.

Almost instantly I felt its warm blood fill my mouth. It was really hard to do, the feeling of the rat struggling in my hand and the sound of it squeaking was hard to deal with. But it somehow got easier the more I drank. I felt the power in me increase with every gulp.

Soon the rat stopped moving, and I couldn't get anything more out of it. It didn't have a lot of blood, but it was enough to heal the wound.

I lowered it down and took a deep breath. Marc stared at me, he looked both confused and horrified at what I had just done. I tried to ignore him and turned my attention to the wound in my leg. I watched as the blood stopped and the wound quickly closed up, not even leaving a scar.

I dropped the rat next to me and leaned against the wall. "You're a vampire..." Marc finally said after a minute of silence. I got up, my leg felt way better, and not only that, I felt amazing

"Half-vampire," I added as I walked up to the door opening. I looked around if I could see anyone, but it was completely silent, I turned back to Marc, "let's wait until it's dark, then we can move." I said seriously. He nodded and sat back down.

I looked back towards the sky, it was already getting dark, and we wouldn't have to wait long until we could leave. I got back inside again and sat back down, mentally preparing for the night ahead.