Chapter 16 || Hurt

Isaac POV*

I got home rather quickly, I hadn't realized we were so close to the shop. I got in but did see my dad. It was pretty late, he was probably in the back like usual. I walked into his room, which was behind his desk, reading through something. "Did you get everything?" he asked suddenly. I jumped a bit, not realizing he had noticed me.

"I- yeah I think so...?" I Answered back hesitantly. He sounded... angry. He turned around and looked over at me. "You were gone longer than expected," he said as he walked past me to the lining area. "Sorry we uh- we lost track of time," I said back, that was a total lie, but not the who. e truth.

"You know I don't like it when you stay out that late, especially not in that forest," he sighed, sitting down. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to" I put my bag down and walked up to my dad. He looked back at me, "wait what happens to your leg." he asked as he got up. "What do you mean?" I asked as I looked down. That was when I noticed a cut on my leg. "You got hurt," he said as he knelt to look at it. "I didn't even realize," I said shocked. "I just tripped, nothing serious.."

"Why didn't you check?" my dad said irritated as he went to the back of the shop. "It's not a big deal, Dad. Just a small scratch, it'll heal." I tried to reasure him. But he wasn't listening anymore. I sat down on the couch until he reappeared from the back. Holding a vile of blood.

"Dad- no it's fine-" I stopped him as he tried to give it to me. "oh come on just take it, you'll heal faster," He complained holding it out to me. "It's just a scratch, it'll heal on its own. We're just fine." I tried again but I wasn't getting through to him. He kept holding out the bottle until I finally gave in and took it, "fine." I complained. I opened the bottle and took a sip. I'm still not completely sure where he got this from, of course, the most logical explanation is that it's his, but the thought of it made me feel a bit grossed out, so I decided long ago that it's better not to question it, and just getting over with.

I closed the bottle again and watched as the wound on my chest closed up until the only evidence of it was the cut and the blood in my pants leg. I sat there in silence as Dad went to put the bottle away. I let out. I sighed as I leaned down on the couch. I want to go to bed.

"You should be more careful." My dad immediately decided to scold me as he came back. "Dad it's fine- you see how easy it is for me to heal." I defended if I did get hurt- no matter how bad, I could always heal myself easily. Of the perks of being a half-vampire. "There won't always be blood to save you-" he shot back. "No- but there is all kind of animals out there. Not to mention you have magic.." He sighed as he sat down across from me, holding his head in his hand. "I just don't want to lose you too-" I looked at him quietly. "Dad I'm sorry I-"

"It's fine- I get it. It's just- sometimes you're too much like your mother." He added quietly. We sat in silence for a little bit until I excused myself to my room. I took a quick shower and went to bed.

- - - -

The next morning I got down for breakfast. I had barely eaten anything before my dad stormed in with a job for me. "Hey since you're up I need you to take this to Ava and Callum's father, I gave another to do and I didn't have time to go over there right now." He handed me a bag with the potions."Sure.." I said back hesitantly. I put everything in my bag and headed out. Ava lived only a couple of minutes away so I got there pretty quickly.

when she opened the door she looked surprised to see me. "Dad didn't have time, so I'm delivering the potions today" I explained, holding up the bag. "Oh, right. Come on in," She smiled and stepped aside so I could walk past her.

She disappeared into another room, the one I assumed her dad was in. It didn't feel right to follow her in so I stayed in the hallway. She came back a few minutes later, I could see the whole thing hurt her quite a lot. She didn't look like her normal, happy, self. She walked out with a forced smile gently closing the door before turning back to me. "Want anything to drink?" I nodded and followed her to the kitchen. It stayed quiet as she poured a drink.

"How is he doing?' I asked, referring to her father she sighed before answering. "he's.. not getting worse." She stared into her cup. "But not getting better either...?" I added as I took my cup from her. "No..." she answered quietly and took a small sip from her drink. She took a minute in thought before she composed herself and went back to her usual self. "So tell me, anything happened with you in the time you weren't hanging out with me" she jokingly asked. 'Not really..." I took a sip of my drink. She had finished hers and put it away on the kitchen counter. There wasn't much to say and if there was, nothing specific came to mind. "What about Lukas?" She asked, not turning around yet.

My mind immediately went back to earlier and the weird feelings I keep feeling whenever he's with me. I could feel my face turn red as Ava asked again. "Isaac?" She pulled me out of my thoughts, "W-what about him?" I stuttered, trying to push back those thoughts. Ava looked at me confused. "Everything okay?" She laughed. "Mhm..." I looked away as I brought the cup up to my face, avoiding eye contact

"You sure?" She asked again. I nodded. "Why wouldn't I be?" I asked again. Still not looking at her. "I just wasn't expecting that reaction-" I got quiet, not sure what to say. Maybe I should just tell her she might be able to help. Or maybe not.

She kept looking at me in silence, waiting for me to talk again. I let out a sigh. Might as well. "Well, actually... There's something... I need to tell you.." I hesitated. "What?" She asked suspiciously. I put my cup down, looking away again, this had been on my mind for a while now, but I've just now been able to put it into words. I took another deep breath. "I think I like him-" I said a lot quieter than I meant to.

"You what?"