- Is there a problem ?

Bella's father opened his mouth to answer in the negative when he stopped. An idea popped into his head, and finally he held back a smile.

- Well... Not yet, but I'd like to go back into the basement. We're not exactly done with this death chamber.

The policeman's serious face changed to one of astonishment as he noticed the sheriff's half-serious, half-joyful expression.

- I see. Would you like me to call in a couple of cops for backup ?

- Take two more with you, and meet me at the basement entrance. Don't forget to bring your cell phones.

- Our cell phones, Sheriff ? Rogers repeated with a puzzled look.

- Yes, we're going to need them.

♦♦♦

- Home at last ! Alice sighed as she slumped into the couch, a conquered smile on her lips.

Jasper joined her, and the look on his face made it clear that he felt exactly the same way.

- I thought we could never feel fatigue, Alice continued in a conversational tone, but I was wrong. The emotional fatigue, we didn't lose it at all...

- That's for sure ; I feel like I'm human again ! Emmett confirmed as he slumped down next to them.

The others settled into the living room on the ottomans and armchairs, while Carlisle answered Emmett.

- Indeed, I have the same impression. He confirmed. Except I'm not hungry for fries or hamburgers...

- How about a little nighttime walk to fill your stomach ? Alice suggested.

- Yes, we can ! Exclaimed Emmett. I'm starving !

The others nodded happily, delighted to have some normal activity to take the edge off.

After the nurses were done with Garrett, they were able to go out and find the two werewolves waiting for them outside. Jacob and Seth hadn't stayed with them long, preferring to go and reassure their pack that they were fine and out of danger. The Cullens had then returned home, completely mentally drained.

The end of the afternoon was approaching, but they felt like they had spent a lifetime since Astrea and Alice had disappeared. Still a little on edge, they all jumped when Bella's phone rang.

- Hello ? Daddy ?!

Surprised, she got to her feet by instinct. She was about to go into the next room, before she remembered that she was surrounded by vampires who could have followed their conversation even with a wall between them.

- Bella, I'm glad to hear you. Charlie said. Where are you ? Is everyone okay ?

- Yes, yes, everyone is fine. We got out of the hospital and went back to Carlisle and Esme. Why ? Are you in trouble ?

Her father's tone was untrue to her, and what he said to her afterwards confirmed her suspicions.

- Good, I'm reassured. Well, I've got a few things on my mind. Just one, actually. But a big one. I don't know if you know this, but the Holy Mother had a death chamber in the basement.

- What ? Bella cut him off.

- Apparently you didn't know about it. Anyway. The problem is that the room isn't empty, and if I let doctors look at the bodies, they'll notice that they're not human...

Bella sat back, shocked that such a room could exist. Charlie was still talking on the other end of the line, surprised that his daughter wasn't answering.

- Put him on, Bella. Intervened Carlisle who had risen.

The young woman mechanically handed over the phone.

- Charlie ? It's Carlisle. Yes, yes, I'm better, thank you. So what's going on ?

A while. The doctor frowned as the sheriff recounted the events that had occurred since they had left for the hospital.

- I understand. I think it might work. I'll send someone to you. Yeah, no problem, I'll wait for your call. See you later then.

As soon as he hung up, he turned to Garrett.

- Are you feeling okay ?

An impatient smile crossed the lips of the ex-nomad.

- More than ever.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!