Chapter Fourty-Five

- This door is stronger than I thought. Edward noted, his eyebrows furrowed.

As soon as they arrived, they tried to open the metal door. In vain, it resisted all blows, and bore no marks. Unbreakable. Edward sighed, looking for a solution. They had called out with all their might, but no one had answered. What if they were standing in front of a closed door for nothing ? What if the boys weren't even behind it ? Riddled with doubt, he turned to his wife. Bella was staring at the door, also deep in thought.

- Hey, come here, both of you.

Charlie's voice surprised him, but hope returned. He walked over to the sheriff, followed closely by Bella ; Bella's father was looking at a small metal box next to the door.

- A code and fingerprint recognition. The sheriff grumbled.

- Don't you think, Bella suggested, that's a special room for the woman in the lab coat we saw earlier ?

The sheriff wrinkled his nose.

- It wouldn't help our case, but it might.

He turned to Edward, still thinking of a plan.

- Since you read in... he began.

- I don't know. The vampire interrupted. But I think Bella is right. That woman wasn't lying when she told us she was the boss, so it makes sense that she's her own piece, especially if she's a scientist.

Charlie nodded thoughtfully.

- We won't be able to get into that room without her then. He said darkly.

- Then we have to go get her. Decided his daughter.

She was already starting to turn back when Edward caught her by the arm.

- No, wait.

- We have no time to lose, Edward.

- But that doesn't mean we have to rush in. The vampire replied. We're all in danger.

Charlie stepped forward and echoed :

- Edward's right, Bella. We have to watch our every move.

Bella pouted and sighed, but resigned herself to listening.

- What do you suggest ? She asked them by crossing the arms.

The two men exchanged glances.

- Charlie thinks someone should stay here in case the boys give any sign of life, while two others go after the woman in the lab coat. Edward said after a few moments.

Bella nodded slowly.

- So far, I agree.

- You two will stay together. Charlie continued. You'll go faster than I can.

- I don't agree, though, Bella said.

Charlie wanted to protest, but his daughter cut him off.

- On your own, anything can happen to you; it's dangerous, Edward is right. It's better that you go and get the woman with one of us.

- No way. Besides, Charlie added, that woman wants to kill you. I'm one hundred percent human, so she has no reason to kill me as soon as she sees me.

- Don't be so sure, Edward countered. She'll do anything to achieve her goal. She doesn't trust you, so she might kill you just because you stand in her way.

- Except...

- We're wasting time ! Bella hammered, cutting the sheriff off again.

The urgent tone startled both men.