Chapter Fifteen

- Having a werewolf when there are plenty of vampires in this house is not the best idea you've had, Carlisle...

Garrett's low voice echoed in the room, giving a tense atmosphere with Astrea continuous growling. Esme approached the couple, without apparent fear.

- Astrea, she whispered, that werewolf is on our side, his name is Jacob.

Seeing that she was going to raise her hand to put it on Astrea's shoulder, Garrett warned her.

- I strongly advise you not to touch her.

The tone sounded like a threat, but Esme understood. As calm as ever, she returned to her husband's side, who had also approached them. He turned to his friend.

- What do you think, should we let him in or is it too risky ?

- Astrea is unpredictable. With her, there's only one way to know if she'll eat your kitten or not.

Carlisle nodded. It only took him half a second to decide.

- Enter Jacob.

The door opened, and a dark-haired boy entered. His eyebrows furrowed, dressed only in trousers and trainers, he didn't bat an eyelid when Astrea scolded more loudly.

- I wanted to see if he could be trusted. There's no way she'll go near Nessi if she's dangerous.

- Nessi ? Garrett said nonchalantly.

- Renesmee, replied the Cullen family in one voice.

A moment. Astrea and Jacob were sizing each other up. Their eyes were flashing, and Astrea's had turned blood red again. The doctor spoke again.

- Garrett, only you can tell us if Astrea will be able to control herself in the presence of Renesmee.

The interpellant glanced at his companion who had not taken his eyes off the werewolf.

- In my opinion, the only one who should worry about your daughter's anger is him, he said, pointing an index finger at Jacob. Astrea won't hurt a child.

The Cullens looked at each other, undecided as to whether to leave Renesmee in Astrea's presence. A long silence took place ; only the red-eyed vampire's growl could still be heard.

♦♦♦

- At the slightest sign of violence, I will intervene, is that clear ?

Bella's voice echoed through the silent forest. Astrea pouted, without losing her composure. She crossed her arms over her chest, insolence in her eyes.

- Don't worry, everything will be fine. Edward said, reassuring her with a gentle, familiar gesture.

Renesmee stood between her two parents, calm and silent. She knew perfectly well what was expected of her, and waited patiently to be told to go and join the two vampires who were standing in front of them, a few metres away. The vampire looked at her impassively, his golden eyes with a slight tinge of red reflecting a cheerful glow. He was very tall, and his chestnut hair was cut just above the shoulders. The vampire standing beside him was much shorter, her hair cascading down to her waist. The weak rays of the sun reflected the mahogany locks. She did not smile, and her eyes seemed as cold as ice. Yet Renesmee had noticed that when she met the vampire's gaze next to her, her red eyes took on a surprisingly soft quality, and became so black that one could not even distinguish her irises from her pupils.

Carlisle beckoned her forward. She walked towards the couple in front of her, while her parents and Carlisle looked on. She decided to start with the vampire. Confident, she reached out her hand to him. He crouched down beside her, and let her place her outstretched hand on his cheek. His gaze, at first calm and almost indifferent, changed over the next few minutes ; once the surprise wore off, he stepped away from the girl and hissed in astonishment.

- Impressive... he muttered as his only comment.

Renesmee then turned to the red-eyed vampire. Like her companion, she crouched down to face him. The girl reached out and felt the vampire's jaw tense as she touched her cheek. However, her gaze did not change one bit. Just as she had done with the vampire, Renesmee used her power of thought transmission to show the vampire some of her memories. When she finished, she was surprised to see that the red-eyed woman still looked nonchalant, whereas usually the other vampires were quite shaken by the experience.

Her task accomplished, Renesmee returned to her parents. Astrea stood up, her brain working at full speed.

You don't look like you're too hot or too cold about it, dear.

She glanced at Garrett who couldn't help but be amazed. 

Not you, apparently,

She replied. They exchanged a smile.

But I'm less surprised because you did it before me. I've seen some things and felt your emotions, but that doesn't mean I'm not surprised.

Anyway, I don't know what's going to happen to this little one, but it's a really interesting power.

And influential. With this, there's no way the Volturi could believe that we're lying to them about the child's origin.

Garrett nodded.

- You two could talk to each other instead of exchanging whispers... The doctor interjected, a smile in the corner of his eyes.

The couple turned innocently towards Carlisle.

- Jealous, Garrett said silently, mocking.

But Astrea noticed and swung her elbow into his rib, making him wince.

You're the jealous one in this story.

The two companions glanced at each other. Edward put an end to their exchange, seeing the night fall.

- We're going home, Renesmee has to go to bed.

The family left, leaving the trio alone. Carlisle leaned against a tree trunk, facing his daughter and his old friend.

- So, he said, what did you think ?

Another exchange of glances. Then Garrett spoke up, looking thoughtful.

- Well, I didn't really expect that, but... It was interesting.

Astrea nodded.

- Do you know how far she'll grow, by the way ? She asked.

This little girl intrigued her more and more, especially since she had almost become like her if her father had not interfered. The latter nodded and grimaced.

- Unfortunately, no.

- With any luck, the Volturi might know something.

- I don't think so, Carlisle replied to his friend.

He raised his head to the sky, as if the answers to his questions would come from up there. When he looked down, he suspected that another problem awaited him.

- I don't suppose you'll want to stay at home tonight ?

- I'm hungry, they replied in unison.

The doctor rolled his eyes and mumbled.

- Mercy...

- We'll stay out, don't worry. Garrett reassured him, taking him by the shoulders with a friendly gesture.

- Be careful, there are werewolves around here.

- We noticed that... Astrea grumbled, pouting.

Garrett laughed and his good mood was infectious. Carlisle left them, heading back to the house with a light heart. Whatever was going to happen, his daughter was safe with Garrett, and she was happy despite her tantrums. That was the most important thing. 

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!