Chapter Sixteen

Once inside the house, the doctor went into the living room, where he knew in advance that his family was already gathered. It had been a busy and trying week, and he would have liked to rest his brain a little. However, that would have to wait ; with the arrival of his daughter and all the vampires to deal with, he had plenty to do. Moreover, Renesmee's accelerated growth worried him. What was going to happen to the girl ?

It was already necessary to hope that the Volturi would believe them, an easy matter to say the least, since this story suited Aro, the leader of the Italian clan, very well. Carlisle suspected that he was taking advantage of the situation to destroy their clan, since it was becoming more and more a competition for the Volturi. His almost permanent expansion obviously didn't sit well with the Italian Clan, which was too power-hungry to let another clan become more influential than it. And the gathering of vampires that the Cullens were erecting to testify was not going to work in their favour at the moment.

Several clans had answered their call, and all had been subjected to Edward and Bella's daughter's thought process. All these witnesses reassured Carlisle somewhat. They were not alone against the Volturi. The werewolves were also in the game. Jacob, their leader, was someone they could trust. The doctor knew that the werewolf would defend the girl at the risk of his life. His pack was loyal to him, and if a feud ever broke out between vampires and werewolves, Carlisle knew there would be very little chance of it being the pack's fault. Vampires were not used to living together, let alone with any other race.

As he walked down the corridor, a human scream was heard outside. The doctor sighed and shook his head. Unfortunately, not all vampires were like Clan Cullen, and were not "vegetarians". They only ate animals in the forest, leaving the humans alone. He had tried to convince the others not to eat too many humans, restricting themselves to animals for as long as they lived here. Most had acquiesced grudgingly, and the doctor understood. He too had not always been a vegetarian.

Even before he entered the living room, there was a clamour of voices. The doctor pushed open the door. Esme turned to him, smiling as he joined her. Jacob was pacing the room. Emmett and Rosalie were sitting on the sofa.

- Well, what's the problem this time ?

It didn't take Jacob long to answer Carlisle, who was as angry as ever.

- I don't understand how you could let her get so close to Nessi, it was totally unconscious !

- Garrett told me she wouldn't hurt him, Jacob. Replied the doctor in a calm voice. I trust him.

- The same Garrett who told you that she was totally unpredictable ? Reassuring.

Rosalie sighed, rolling her eyes.

- I don't see why you're getting excited when it went so well. Edward and Bella told us earlier. She said.

Emmett nodded his head in agreement.

- And besides, even if she is creepy, there were four other vampires around in case anything went wrong. He added.

Jacob turned to them with a glare and opened his mouth to retort, but Carlisle stopped him by cutting him off.

- Look Jacob, we all know you care about Renesmee and don't want anything to happen to her, but trust us. Even though Garrett told us that Astrea was unpredictable, that doesn't mean she'd get angry over nothing. I'm sure it's possible to live with her if we're careful.

- She is your daughter, how could you have an objective view of the situation ? The werewolf grumbled.

It was Emmett who came to the doctor's rescue.

- You've imbibed Renesmee, what objective view are you talking about ?

Irascibly, Jacob left the room, slamming the door as he went.