Chapter Twenty-Three

The two girls entered the store, arm in arm, with a cheerful air. The short-haired brunette spoke animatedly and cheerfully, while her companion listened attentively. They looked like ordinary local teenagers, strolling around town and going from store to store ; however, the man wasn't going to be fooled by their little maneuver. Their deadly complexions spoke volumes about them. Yes, he knew what they were hiding, but that didn't stop him from being surprised at how easily they blended in. Nobody cared about them, as if they were one of them.

- But that's absolutely not the case... The man muttered to himself.

He took out of his long black coat his latest cell phone, and quickly dialed a number. A few seconds later, the caller picked up. The man spoke up :

- You were right, it's hard not to notice them. I've been watching them all morning, it was... Interesting. And I have some news you'll like...

♦♦♦

- Hello ladies, what can I do for you ?

The young woman at the front desk of the store they had just entered came up to them, a business smile on her lips. Alice answered her at once with a jovial air :

- We have come to buy a dress. My sister is getting married soon, she added, pushing Astrea towards the saleswoman.

The little red-eyed vampire tried a poor smile that ended in a grimace, so nervous was she. Even if she didn't eat humans, that didn't prevent her from not liking to mingle with them. Except that Alice was used to it, and so she had dragged her all morning to different stores to choose what she was going to wear for her wedding. Jewelry stores, fashion stores, florists ... Everything had passed. In the end, they had only ordered a bouquet of roses, the fault of Astrea who did not need anything else. The dress remained, that the girls had not yet found.

- Do you have a particular model that you would like ? Asked the saleswoman.

- Uh... No... I think... Stammered the little vampire in return.

Fortunately for her, Alice took the front and discussed with their interlocutor what would suit the best to the young girl. And after several fittings, they ended up falling of agreement on a dress naked back without sleeves, in tulle and in lace.

- It is made for you, it is indisputable, commented Alice.

They left the store with a smile on their faces and returned to the downtown parking lot, where Alice's expensive car, a yellow Porsche 911 Turbo, was parked.

The little vampire was really starting to enjoy his company, even though Alice was only 19 (or at least the age she had been frozen in since her transformation). It was the first time he had welcomed her into the Cullen family, even though she didn't know her at all ; and even more surprisingly, Alice wasn't afraid of her. Even if, except for her father and Garrett, the others accepted her without difficulty, Astrea had noticed that they were always careful about what they said in her presence, in case she got angry.

When they arrived at the car, Alice turned to her with a very serious look :

- And don't forget, you can't tell Garrett about the dress !

- I know, trust me, replied the little vampire with a mocking smile.

She didn't care about the tradition of the groom not seeing his bride's dress until the wedding day, but since Alice was so concerned about it, she promised not to say anything. She walked around the car to get into the passenger seat when a noise behind her caught her attention. Sensing danger near her, she stood still for a few moments, trying to determine who the noise might be coming from. A cracking sound to her left startled her and she turned toward it just as she felt a needle stick in her neck. She wanted to open her mouth to warn Alice, but she was already wobbling, crashing heavily to the concrete. Just before her eyelids closed in spite of herself, she saw someone enter her field of vision, an evil smile hanging on his lips.

♦♦♦

- It's squeezing me, I don't like it... Garrett grumbled as he tugged at the collar of his shirt.

Carlisle looked up at the ceiling with a sigh.

- You're overreacting.

- I look ridiculous.

- You don't.

Garrett grimaced in the mirror, trying to get used to the costume his friend had given him.

- How do you not feel stuck in that ?

- It's just a feeling, when you get used to it you won't even think about it. Affirmed the doctor.

- That's because I have more muscles than you, that's why this thing is too small for me.

- Or that you have more bulges, who knows ? Emmett commented as he entered the room.

Carlisle silently chuckled as Garrett pretended he hadn't heard. He took off the suit, thinking he'd made a fool of himself enough for one day. He was just putting his jacket back on when Esme and Rosalie burst in, panic in their eyes.

- It's Alice and Astrea, they've disappeared ! shouted Esme, out loud.

Garrett's blood ran cold. He rushed towards the two young women.

- What do you mean missing ?!

- Alice's car is still parked in the parking lot, but they're not answering their phones and we haven't found them anywhere in town. Rosalie replied.

- Where is Jasper ? Asked the doctor.

- He went ahead, but he should be back soon.

Just then, the front door slammed and everyone rushed to the first floor.

- What's up ? Garrett wanted to know.

- No sign of them. The only thing I noticed was a strong smell of perfume. I don't know who could have done this, but he's well informed. He didn't want us to track him.

- The bastards, said Emmett.

- They had to work together to get them. Astrea wouldn't fall for a stupid trap. Garrett muttered.

- Neither would Alice. Jasper affirmed.

The two men exchanged glances, being on the same page.

- So what do we do ? Said Esme.

- Emmett and Rosalie, you go find Jacob. Maybe he can find a lead. Esme and I will go to the police station and report them missing. You boys go back to Alice's car and look for any suspicious clues. We'll tell Edward and Bella afterwards, that's not the most urgent thing. Carlisle ordered.

Everyone hurried to obey, not wanting to lose precious minutes that could help them find the two girls as soon as possible.

♦♦♦

- You did a nice job, Smith.

- Thank you, sir.

The man named Smith bowed slightly to his boss, sitting comfortably at his desk. The room was plunged into semi-darkness and had only one long piece of furniture besides the desk.

- The Holy Mother will reward you generously for your work. Said the boss, breaking the silence. Come back in two days, at the same time.

- Yes, sir. I'll be there.

Smith bowed again and left the room. He respectfully closed the door behind him, and went down the stairs following the dark hallway. He met no one, his footsteps echoing throughout the building. When he was out in the open, he reached into his long black coat and pulled out his cell phone.

- Hello ? Yes, the job is done, we will receive the reward in two days. Tell the others.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!