Chapter Nineteen

Aro couldn't be more pleased. His favorite little vampire, Alice, was finally here. A vampire with enhanced agility, she also had the gift of being able to see visions and know the future. Aro had already tried several times to recruit her to join the Volturi, without success. But he couldn't help liking her despite her refusals, because this vampire was so exceptional.

Three Volturi came towards Jasper and Alice, stopping them. Like predators, the clan stirred, thrilled by the interruption.

- It's good to see you again, my dear Alice. Aro said again. I was wondering where you'd been...

- I have proof that Renesmee is not a danger to us. If you attack us, it will end very badly. And for you too.

Alice raised her chin, challenging Aro with her eyes. Aro remained silent for a few moments, taken aback by the vampire's words.

- You only have to check if you don't believe me. Added she by raising her hand towards him.

- Yes... Approach.

The young woman got rid of a blow of elbow of the three vampires who blocked the road to him and advanced. A thoughtful silence filled the clearing as Aro took Alice's hand. All emotions passed over his face as he used his power. Then the vampire abruptly removed her hand.

- You're not going to change your plans, even knowing the consequences of what's going to happen ! Spat she by moving back of a step.

Her eyes flashed with anger. The Volturi looked at their leader, waiting for some kind of order. But Aro did not move, impassive.

Alice turned to Bella, a look of panic and determination in her eyes.

- Now ! She shouted.

The newborn understood the message and turned to Jacob. Renesmee was still on his back.

- Take her away, and protect her. Bella whispered to him.

The werewolf lowered his head in agreement and left at a run, heading back to the forest. The incomprehension in everyone's eyes was obvious. Edward understood what was happening thanks to his power, but preferred to remain silent, waiting for the next step.

Then everything happened. Alice turned toward Aro with lightning speed and crouched down to swing her right foot into his chest. The violence of the blow threw him several meters away. Although surprised by this attack, the Volturi leader managed to land on his knees. When he raised his head, no smile crossed his lips. On a silent command, two vampires from his clan grabbed Alice by one arm each. Alice tried to escape, struggling as best she could, but the two Volturi held on.

In both clans, the tension rises again of a notch. Exchanges of worried glances. Jasper also starts to struggle, to join Alice. The two clans instinctively approach each other, looking threatening. The two Volturi manage to immobilize Alice.

- Too bad for you. Said Aro who had joined them. Kill her.

- No !

Carlisle jumped out of line, unable to bear to see the death of one of his family members. He ran to Alice without thinking. A Volturi stood in front of him to block his way. The doctor quickly got rid of it, and then another one replaced it almost immediately. Carlisle did not let himself be destabilized and put him down. Seeing that the situation was not to their advantage, Aro stepped forward to gain some momentum. When Carlisle jumped to join his adopted daughter, Aro joined him in a prodigious jump. Time stood still for a few moments as everyone held their breath. The two vampires clung to each other, then broke away violently. Aro fell to the ground, facing the Cullens. Carlisle's body fell heavily at Alice's feet. The latter redoubled her efforts to free herself.

Aro rose to his feet, an evil smile on his face, holding the doctor's head in his left hand.

A ferocious roar sounded, coming from the small group of Cullens who did not even dare to move. Even Garrett, knowing who was making the rumbling noise, could not make a move. Looking shocked, mouth agape, only Esme could not hold back tears of sorrow. The Volturi with the flaming torch burned the doctor's body.

Astrea, with her scarlet irises, let out a howl of hatred. With her mouth half-open and sharp fangs showing, she rushed towards the Volturi ; with rage in her belly, all the others followed her, as if her intervention had succeeded in bringing them out of their trance. 

The werewolves waited a few moments before rushing at the enemy after their allies. With a gesture, Aro signaled his own clan to defend themselves. Still in the lead, Astrea rushed at the first Volturi and killed him with one blow without stopping to run. Her goal was to reach the small guard of their leader and Aro himself, who had stayed behind.

The latter was watching the scene. An evil smile stretched his thin lips. Thanks to Jane, they could only win.

This one had already begun its work. After a few minutes during which Bella had managed to protect Alice's husband, Jane still managed to get rid of the newborn.

Jasper Hale, dead.

Emmett came to Bella's rescue, fighting Jane's brother. Decapitated.

The little blonde headed for the werewolves. Aro looked away from her as a vampire named Benjamin from the Cullen side used his power to create a crack in the middle of the clearing. Many of the Volturi sank into the deepening crevice. Their leader made a disapproving face. Some werewolves dragged vampires from his clan down with them.

The gaping hole continued to widen, heading straight for Edward. Aro couldn't hold back a smile, which was almost immediately replaced by a disappointed pout when the boy managed to escape.

The Volturi leader looked around for Jane. The latter was completely destabilized, and Aro understood that she would be of no more use to him. Alice approached her, vengeance in her eyes.

Jane, dead.

The huge black werewolf that had just helped Alice kill Jane glared at him. Aro swallowed hard. The little red-eyed vampire didn't have long to go before she came upon him. His little bodyguard began to dissolve, taking part in the fighting. Aro then decided to move, heading away from Astrea Cullen to avoid her anger and hatred at all costs. If she managed to reach him, he was already dead.

In his haste to get away from his murderous enemy, Aro forgot to watch out for the others. Edward and Bella joined forces to stop him in his tracks. After a few minutes of fierce fighting, Aro fell to his knees under the couple's attacks.

Bella moved the torch closer to him. Edward took advantage of her deconcentration to decapitate him.

Aro, dead.

Bella gave the torch to Astrée who had just arrived near them. The little vampire brought the torch to her head. The flames reflected in her eyes. The heat of the fire struck the vampire's skin. Aro was witnessing his own death, and there was nothing he could do.

♦♦♦

Alice removed her hand. Aro looked at her, shocked. The young woman waited, without a word. The Volturi leader glanced behind her. The Cullens waited, silent. Astrée did not move, impassive. Her irises were black as ink. Carlisle glanced around worriedly. Little Renesmee was on the werewolf's back, watching him calmly. Edward glared at her defiantly, having seen what Alice had shown Aro. Aro turned his attention back to Alice.

- Now you know. It's up to you. 

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!