Chapter Fourty-Eight

Holding back a smile of satisfaction, the Holy Mother turned a small key in the lock of the secret door, which blended in with the dark wall of the hallway. She'd had it installed a few weeks after she'd settled in and made her arrangement with Elder, and the Holy Mother had made sure that the only people who knew about it didn't say anything. This hidden shortcut to a small hallway and then to an exit door had never been of any use to her ; she had even wondered several times if she hadn't been a little too paranoid on this one. The situation, although unprecedented, reinforced her first choice : to follow her instincts, and leave the door where it was.

The Holy Mother glanced behind her, gun in hand. Nobody had to know about this secret shortcut, and she had only one security device to make sure that only she could make the impression : the key, which she never left. She hadn't wanted to install as much security as she had on other rooms in the basement. Elder might have been an idiot, but he would have understood quickly enough that she was doing things behind his back, using his money as well. Reassured to know she was alone, the Holy Mother rushed into the narrow passage, closing the door gently behind her. Now she had to be extremely discreet ; the small hallway ran alongside several main rooms and corridors, and she knew in advance that police patrols must have come down to reinforce them. Tiptoeing forward, she tightened her grip on her weapon. Her eyes were gradually getting used to the darkness of the hallway, and she moved a little faster with each step. Soon she could see the end of the hallway, and another door. A victorious smile appeared on her face. She would be able to reach a main hallway, go straight for a few feet, turn right to bypass her secret room where the vampires she had left must be dying if they weren't already dead, and the exit would be within her reach !

The Holy Mother held up her small key, and just as she was about to turn it in the lock, a rumbling sound like a mini-slump made her tense up. What the hell was that ?!

♦♦♦

Charlie abruptly looked up from the small device that was blocking her access to the sealed room. What was that noise he had just heard ? It sounded like someone had just smashed through a wall... He mused, forbidden. Thinking of a more logical possibility, he leaned against the door. He crossed his arms on his chest, the frowned. What if it was Bella or Edward ? Were they in trouble ? They should have been back long ago... A second rumble startled him.

- What the hell is going on here ? He muttered to himself.

The anguish went up to his throat, leaving him a nauseous ball of which he could not get rid. I can't wait for Bella to come back...

Noises of heels resounded in the corridor, making him raise the glance by instinct, weapon in the hand pointed right in front of him. His eyes widened in amazement as the Holy Mother stopped a few feet from him after turning the right corner of the hallway.

- You ?! He exclaimed.

The woman in the white coat also seemed surprised to find herself in front of him. Silent, she put her weapon in her pocket and raised her hands in a sign of appeasement.

- I didn't expect to find anyone here, let alone you. She said by way of greeting.

- It's mutual, Charlie replied, inwardly grumbling.

Where were Bella and Edward ? Had they met him or was it just a coincidence that she was standing in front of him ?

- But you're just in time, he continued, I needed you.

The Holy Mother raised an eyebrow, and her gaze slid over her shoulder.

- Really ? She murmured without taking her eyes off the door.

- Open this door for me. He ordered.

His gaze turned to Charlie. She smiled, showing no sign of fear at the gun pointed at her.

- Do you know what you're doing, Sheriff ? She asked. You're confused, you've just learned some things that are hard to digest, so do you really think you're fit to take a stand for these creatures ? Your daughter is an exception, you should be worried about her.

Charlie clenched his jaw, annoyed. This woman knew how to hit where it hurt.

- Bella knows what she's doing. He asserted. Now open that door, he added to end the discussion.

- And do you know what you're doing ? The woman said without moving. The vampires are monsters, they kill without the least state of mind, they are cruel, they know nothing but death.

- I don't believe you. The Cullen family is a good example.

I hope so, thought Charlie, worried.

- Just because they're pretending doesn't mean it's real. Come on, you're an intelligent man, you can easily understand that vampires are only pretending to be humans like you and me. How do you think they feed ? They can't get away from their primal urges.

A third, closer rumble cut the Holy Mother off. The look of surprise on her face assured Charlie that for once she wasn't the author of yet another strange thing.

- Open the door and let's get this over with. He said. Whatever you say, I won't believe you.

The jaw of the woman contracted. This refusal reinforced Charlie in his decision. Belle and Edward had seen right, this door hid something behind its impenetrable metal. He hoped it was the Cullen boys.

- You will pay for your negligence. She spat at him.

- Your threats do not frighten me. He let go, tightening his grip around the gun.

- I don't need to threaten you. You will understand by yourself your error when your own daughter will devour you !

- That's enough ! Charlie cut in, glaring at her at the same time. If you don't open that door right now, I'll shoot.

The woman's cold, cruel laughter gave him goose bumps ; this Holy Mother was like the so-called monsters she described : in truth, she was the cruel, merciless monster.

- If you wanted to kill me or shoot me, you would have done it already. She asserted to him, the cold look. You are a coward and I...

A high-pitched scream cut her off and they both turned towards the noise, to their right. The wall collapsed, throwing a multitude of metal, plaster and brick around them. Charlie had just enough time to shield his face with his arms before he was covered in white dust and plaster. The screaming was ringing in his ears, and he had to force himself to open his closed eyelids instinctively. What he saw nailed him in place. His eyes widened in shock and he could not move. His gun fell heavily to the ground, at the same time as the scream of terror of the Holy Mother tore the atmosphere. Four voices, one of which was male and dominated all the others, rang out at the same time in the hallway.

- Astrea ! Stop !

♦♦♦

The little red-eyed vampire didn't even flinch when Garrett and the others called out to her. Eyes locked on her prey, she had no intention of letting it get away. Showing her fangs, she clenched her hands a little tighter around the white-clad woman's neck. Kneeling on the belly of her prey, she felt every spasm of the latter. Despite the anger that boiled in her, she managed to articulate :

- Where... Is... Carlisle ?

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!