Chapter Thirty

She was gloating, literally. At last, at last she was going to have the answers to her questions. After so many years of work, research, observations, she was going to know. The result of ten years, the fruit of her hard work finally rewarded. Soon, she would be able to complete her mission, to come full circle. The extermination of these creatures brought to Earth by the devil himself.

The Holy Mother walked over to the vampire, tied to the bunk. Her irises had taken on a red tint, a change she had already noticed several times in this creature. Eager for answers, she forgot her fear of the incident at her last attempt to make the vampire flinch, and approached until she was only a few centimeters away from her prisoner. Minutes seemed like hours, and the Holy Mother had to force herself not to use the box to make the vampire talk faster.

- Some vampires have specific powers. Some don't. She explained.

The Holy Mother could see that she was having trouble speaking, because of the product they had given them, a normal side effect of the injection.

- What are they ? She pressed her.

- It's different for each of us. It would be impossible to list them all so much they are divergent and numerous.

This answer calmed the Holy Mother's frenzy and enthusiasm somewhat. How can you exterminate an entire race if they are all different ? Her brain was spinning at full speed in the face of this question. She knew she would eventually find a solution ; besides being a child of God, she was also a scientist, and scientists were used to searching, trying and trying again. What could she come up with to make them disappear from the face of the earth ? Suddenly, a little idea sprang up in the corner of her mind. The Holy Mother turned her attention back to the vampire. The latter was watching her, surprised by her silence.

- You must have someone to direct you ? The Holy Mother asked casually.

The little vampire frowned for a moment.

- What do you mean by that ?

- Don't make me believe that you are wild beasts eager for blood, even if it is surely the case for some of you. Otherwise, you wouldn't blend so easily into the human mass. The Holy Mother retorted, squinting her eyes.

She wanted her answers. And the vampire was going to give them to her. With a nonchalant air, she passed the case from her right hand to her left hand, giving the vampire a hard look. The latter opened her mouth to answer reluctantly.

- The Volturi. She let go.

- The Volturi ?

- The Volturi. They're a very powerful vampire clan, and they're the ones who define our laws. The creature clarified in front of the Holy Mother's forbidding gaze.

The Holy Mother moved aside a little. What the vampire had just said was not insignificant. What would happen if they couldn't exterminate them all at once ? Would this clan be able to find them and take revenge ? The Holy Mother didn't doubt it for a second ; vampires knew no mercy, they loved blood, so why would they not kill them, mere humans ? The Holy Mother faced the little red-eyed vampire again.

- And where are they, these Volturi ? She asked.

- In Italy.

The Holy Mother slowly got to her feet, thinking of a way to carry out her plan. The room was silent, and only the ticking of the wall clock could be heard.

Suddenly, a deafening alarm broke the silence of the room. Everyone was startled. Elder cursed as he fumbled in his pocket for his phone.

- What the hell is that ? Roared the Holy Mother to the two guards posted by the door.