Chapter Sixty

- I think you've dislocated my jaw... Lewis muttered as he massaged his cheek.

He was convinced that a bright red mark was already drawn there.

- You sought it. Defended herself the young woman of a serious air.

Lewis did not answer anything ; she was right, he had only had what he deserved. That'll teach him to keep his colleague in a storage room.

- I was serious about the patients, Gina. He said.

It was necessary that she believed it, and unfortunately it was obviously not the case, considering her glance.

- No but you listen to you ? She retorted to him by rolling her eyes. It is the worst of the bullshit that I ever heard !

- But I am serious, and you must believe me ! He protested.

Gina Chapman threw him a perplexed glance. Silent, she seemed to wonder if her colleague had lost his mind.

- Gina, Lewis said in a calmer voice, I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. And both werewolves will die from the poison if we don't do something. But we need to adapt an antidote for them, not one that will work on normal humans.

Time. Lewis waited for his colleague to respond, but she didn't seem ready to speak. He crossed his arms, and leaned against the closed door. Which arguments could he explain to her so that she believes him ? Finally the pretty redhead answered him in a whisper.

- You believe it, don't you ?

Lewis nodded.

- Adam, I have great respect for you and your work, and you are a good friend. But this... this is just plain crazy.

Second nod.

- Let's say your story is true, can I ask how you know that the patients are creatures... Supernatural ? She questioned him, switching from the formal to the informal.

Lewis knew this was his chance - and perhaps the only chance - for her to understand that he was telling the truth. He chose his words carefully.

- That's the tricky part. Simply put, werewolves can change into wolves whenever they want - not just on a full moon - and even when they're in their human form, they have above-average physical strength. Their senses are also more developed.

- Adam...

- Wait, let me finish. Remember earlier when I sniffed the two vials of your tests and guessed there was a third poison ?

Gina nodded with a slight frown, not seeing what her colleague was getting at. Lewis waited for her to figure out what he was getting at on her own. His expression changed as the pieces of the puzzle fell into place in his head.

- You are... She began, forbidden. You're... A werewolf.

Lewis nodded slowly, afraid of the reaction she would have. The young woman remained for a few minutes, looking at him between amazement and irony.

- Please, do not put me back a slap. Murmured he in a grimace to try to relax it.

She opened the mouth to retort but a nervous laughter left. A smile crossed the face of Lewis.

- You take it well ? He asked hopefully.

Gina put time before being able to answer him, taken of an unstoppable mad laughter.

- Oh by pity, yes I take it well ! Hiccuped she between two laughs. Let me leave, I need air !

More than surprised by his reaction, Lewis obeyed her mechanically. He shifted and in the half-second when she opened the door, she bawled in all the laboratory :

- Hey guys, I just had a flash of genius !

They turned towards her with a surprised look, not used to this behavior from Gina Chapman. Lewis followed her, not knowing what to do : kidnap her from the storage room or let her do her number ?

- I found a remedy against the poison of Fugu ! The pretty redhead announced under the amazed look of her colleagues. Transfusion of blood. Articulated she between two crazy laughs. It was so obvious and under our nose that we had not thought of it !

She could not prevent another demented laugh, under the glance of the assistance. Lewis was about to decide on his number one solution, which was to kidnap her and put her back in the storage room, when Davis chose that moment to enter the lab.

Oh shit... Lewis thought. Gina continued to laugh out loud, and Davis stopped dead in his tracks when he saw whose laughter it was. He blinked several times to be sure of what he was seeing, then turned his head from right to left, his piercing gaze crossing the room from one end to the other. Then he approached Gina and Adam with angry steps.

- Lewis, what's the meaning of all this ? He shouted as soon as he reached them.

Why is this happening to me ?

- Simple nervous madness related to fatigue, Sir. Lewis replied automatically. I will take care of it. He added by pushing Gina towards the storage room.

This last protested, but the young man did not hold rigorously, and threw a smile which ended in grimace towards Davis.

- You'd better calm her down. Grumbled the latter. Chapman is and has always been our best element.

He turned on his heels, and Lewis pushed the pretty redhead one last time into the storage room, and hurried to enter in his turn by closing behind him. When he turned to his colleague, he sighed.

- No need to thank me, I just found the solution to our problem.

Adam Lewis looked up at his colleague. She had stopped laughing, and was standing in front of him, a satisfied smile on her lips. The man was about to retort, but suddenly it clicked in his head.

- But you are right. He said, hitting his forehead with the palm of his hand. Absolutely right. He repeated.

- I know. A flash of genius.

He met her eyes.

- So you believe me ?

- No. But a blood transfusion might be our best chance. Instead of struggling to find an antidote we may never find, we can extract the blood mixed with the poison, while replenishing clean, healthy blood. It's risky, but it can work. The young woman explained.

Lewis nodded, trying to keep a straight face despite his disappointment. Why anyway ? It was obvious she wasn't going to believe him. It was just so... impossible to believe.

- We won't have enough clean blood for six people.

Gina's voice brought him back to reality. Immediately his brain went into overdrive.

- There was no need. Only the two werewolves need it. Vampires can't die. Not like this, anyway. he replied, thinking. However, I'm afraid that if we do this, they'll turn back into normal humans... They won't have any werewolf blood in them.

- But since they're human, the problem is solved. Gina replied, emphasizing the word human.

She patted him gently on the shoulder.

- I'll tell the others. If we call other hospitals, we can get enough blood for everyone.

Gina Chapman left the room, leaving him alone with his doubts and a truth he couldn't put into words.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!