Chapter Thirty-Seven

Elder did not take time to pay attention to the noise he was making. He was pushing everything in his path, and stepping ruthlessly on the corpses that lay here and there in his path. It was not the time to feel sorry for himself ; he had to act as quickly as possible. He had just warned the staff by text message to let him enter the room. It was absolutely necessary to avoid a second wave of panic, if he did not warn the others of his arrival. Seeing that he would soon arrive at the surveillance room, he hurriedly typed a number on his phone, which he hadn't let go of since he had left to carry out the Holy Mother's orders. Without stopping to walk, Elder waited for the phone to be answered. A few seconds later, a deep voice answered.

- Hello ?

- It's me, he said. I need you and your troop. Announced the man in the suit and tie.

- Boss ?!

The surprise was understandable, Elder admitted, but he didn't have time to explain the situation in detail.

- Our plans have changed. He continued. We need you to come back to Forks. Wait for me at the place where we made our first appointment a month ago. Come back every hour until I get there. If the police question you, don't try to deny anything. Tell them you are my responsibility. On the other hand, he added, don't hesitate to speak ill of the dear Holy Mother.

A laugh broke out in his ears, and the man couldn't help but smile.

- That's all right. But if we ever get into trouble because of you, believe me, you'll be in big trouble.

Elder ignored the threat and changed the subject.

- Good. And you are not to return to the park under any circumstances. I'll take your reward to you as agreed myself.

- You'd better.

The man in the suit and tie hung up, and stopped in front of the door that led to the surveillance room. Obviously, he wasn't going to obey the Holy Mother. Not with the police on their tail. Before the situation became even more critical, he had to turn it to his advantage.

He lowered the door handle and stepped into the room. He then had only a few seconds of silence before all the staff rushed to him, completely panicked.

- That's enough ! Let me pass, I must speak to the team leader ! He thundered over the general hubbub.

The interpellant broke through the crowd, holding a laptop in one hand and a phone in the other. His messy hair, crooked glasses and crumpled clothes testified to the events they had to face.

- Sir, you're just in time, we were beginning to lose track of what to do. What are your orders ? sighed the chief, relieved to see someone else arrive to help him make decisions.

Elder ran a hand through his hair, in deep thought. He shouldn't have screwed up.

- The situation is very delicate. He began. The policemen will arrive soon, that's why we must act quickly, and with precision.

As he went on, his voice became stronger and he continued his speech in a more confident tone. At ease with his lie, he continued :

- First of all, we have to restore the power in the whole building. That's the most important thing. Send two or three men to do that. After that, we can reactivate the cameras and see where the police are. From there, we will have a much clearer view of the current situation.

- It may take a little time. Answered the chief with a sorry grimace.

- Do what you can, but do it quickly.

The orders were given, and three armed agents left the room. When the team leader turned back to the man in the suit and tie, the latter knew what he was going to ask.

- Shall we seal off the offices upstairs ? We don't want the police to stumble upon the Holy Mother's research.

Elder chose his words carefully.

- I agree, but the Holy Mother told me that we couldn't afford to lock the offices at the moment. She had to pick up some of her things ; closing the offices would prevent her from completing her project. So, that's a risk to take, indeed.

Surprise and astonishment appeared on the chief's face.

- I thought she was still in the basement with you. Did she manage to find a way out ?

- She's a resourceful woman, Elder said with a smile.

Or a woman who is a little too predictable, he thought, while his interlocutor returned to his screens. Of course she wanted to lock the offices : all her research was there. And it would suit Elder just fine if the police could stumble upon it... He had nothing to fear; his own office had no information stating that he was involved in the Holy Mother's projects. It was his word against hers.

♦♦♦

Assigned two soldiers each, the three vampires followed the Holy Mother through the darkened corridors. The silence was heavy, and the look of determination the woman in the white coat had been wearing since they left the others terrified the vampires. What was she planning for them ? Why didn't she hurt them on the spot, like she had the two werewolves ? Hope was still there though, they hadn't forgotten the fact that the police would be joining them soon. But would they make it until then ? After a few more minutes of silent walking, the Holy Mother began to speak. Her voice was almost inaudible, but the vampires understood what she was saying.

- Don't think that I am no longer in control of the situation. On the contrary. You don't stand a chance against us ; you are monsters lurking in the shadows, and I am the one who will expose you. People will be grateful to me ; because I would have given them the opportunity to know about a threat that we didn't know about until recently.

- If some of us can't be controlled, not all vampires in the world can. Carlisle pointed out in a calm voice.

- Except that it is in your nature. Retorted she. You can repress your natural urges all you want, they will come out one day, whether you want them to or not.

- What makes you hate us so much ? Jasper asked.

The Holy Mother stopped dead in her tracks and the silence fell like an invisible veil. The vampires exchanged glances, suddenly surprised by this behavior. Had Jasper struck a nerve ? When the woman in the white coat turned to face them, her face expressed nothing but pure hatred.

- You have no idea what some of your kind have put me through. You are monsters, and monsters, we humans, slaughter them. We exterminate them. And you will be no exception.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!