Chapter Sixty-Seven

A dozen nurses entered the room while the Cullens silently watched Adam Lewis and Gina Chapman. Face to face, they looked at each other without saying anything ; Lewis wore a sorry look and Gina seemed to be on the verge of a breakdown. Mr. Davis entered the room and noticed his two colleagues.

- What are you two doing here ? He muttered. Well, never mind. He clapped his hands twice, drawing attention. Listen to me ; we're going to inject you with antidotes for two of the poisons you've contracted. I'd like the unaffected people to wait in the hallway.

Davis left the room as quickly as he had entered it, disappearing into a room further down the hall. The nurses worked around Emmett, Jasper and Carlisle, while the rest of the family left the room. Lewis took advantage of the fact that no one noticed him to grab the little redhead's arm and lead her out of the room. She was still in shock, and did not protest ; only the look of panic and fear she gave his colleague saddened him.

- Don't worry, I'm just taking you out for some fresh air, he whispered to her, trying to take a reassuring tone.

♦♦♦

Bella squeezed Edward's hand and he leaned in towards her.

- Do you think we could go check on Jacob and Seth ? I'm worried about them... She told him as they walked out of the boys' room.

- They must be surrounded by nurses too, but we can always try if you want. He replied, smiling at her. I'm sure they're fine.

The young woman nodded, returning his smile, as they walked away to Seth and Jacob's room. Even though they absolutely did not know the number, the scent of Werewolves was easy to follow.

♦♦♦

- No one wants to hurt you, Gina, myself included.

The pretty redhead kept her look of panic on, her hands in front of her to keep Lewis away from her.

- I tried to tell you about it earlier, but you didn't believe me. The Wolf continued. I never meant to scare you or anything.

- Yet you really looked like you could kill someone just now, Gina Chapman replied, her voice shaking.

The Wolf sighed, crossing his arms over his chest.

- Vampires and werewolves have never really been the best of friends, you see... That little... quarrel wasn't so bad. I assure you.

- Quarrel ? You looked like you were going to fight ! I saw the look on the blonde's face, and yours too !

- Gina, I've been a doctor for a very long time, do you really think I would have fought ? I've learned to control myself.

- Like when you stopped me from leaving the storage room ? Chapman grumbled.

Her hands were shaking in front of her, and she couldn't calm down.

- I don't... Well, okay, I got angry, but there's a difference between killing someone and getting angry. Lewis explained.

The young woman seemed to agree with his argument, although she did not let her guard down.

- So you're... A werewolf ? She replied in a quavering voice. For real ? And the patients are Vampires ?

Adam Lewis nodded.

- Carlisle is a Vampire too, and I don't think he ever tried to kill you. he added in a soft voice.

- You lied to us...

- Did we have a choice ? Gina, even you didn't believe me before.

Gina nodded, swallowing hard. Her composure was beginning to return, and her hands were shaking less and less.

- I mean you no harm, and neither do the Vampires inside. Explained Lewis. They can control themselves.

- Like you ?

Adam Lewis nodded again. The pretty redhead lowered her hands slowly ; still watching for any suspicious movement. The Wolf was careful not to move towards her.

- He... We have to go back to the lab. Gina said in a somewhat confident voice.

- I think so. And delay the blood transfusions for the Vampires until they can escape from here. We also need to find a solution for Seth and Jacob. If we give them transfusions with human blood, they won't be werewolves anymore.

The pretty redhead played with her eyebrows.

- Is that possible ?

- Only in theory.

She nodded, thinking hard. It also allowed her to calm down, before going inside.

- I guess transfusing blood from their... Species is out ?

- We can't get enough of it. Explained the Wolf.

- So, one thing at a time. Chapman said after a few minutes of reflection. First, we get the cyanide and arsenic out of their bodies ; then we get the Vampires out and deal with the boys afterwards... But how do you want the Vampires to escape ? Chapman asked. There are nurses all over the hallways, they don't stand a chance.

- Don't worry about that, the solution is already there.

- What's the solution ?

Adam Lewis laughed nervously, tired of the long day. He turned to open the door, while answering his colleague who was following him.

- Well, the hospital windows are a good way to solve the problem ! He exclaimed.

- The windows... ?

Gina gave her colleague a surprised look. Adam opened his mouth to answer her, when he was cut off.

- Tested and approved. Suddenly a voice behind them said.

Surprised, they jumped back. As soon as he saw who they were dealing with, Adam Lewis relaxed, but his colleague did not.

- Who are they ? Chapman squeaked as he took a few steps back.

Lewis put an arm around his colleague's shoulders, forgetting that she was also afraid of him, and answered calmly.

- They won't hurt you. They are vampires. He explained. They are part of the Cullen family.

Astrea and Garrett nodded silently. 

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!