Chapter Eleven

A vampire... How was that possible ? Or had he been mistaken ? Yet this intuition, this certainty that he had had... No, it was not a simple whim, he was convinced.

He lowered his gaze to his companion, lying against him. Her eyes were still blood red, a sign that she had not yet become herself. Yet she seemed less dangerous than the first time. Quietly, she nibbled at his chest like a harmless little kitten. But how long would this behaviour last ? He distractedly stroked her bare back, while thinking about what they would do now. Would Astrea be able to go out in the street in this state, without biting someone ?

Suddenly, there was a knock at their door, and they both jumped. Her eyes immediately filled with hatred, Astrea let out a snarling growl. Garrett sniffed the air for a moment, and knew it was the innkeeper. He then kissed Astrea on the tip of her nose and got out of bed.

Calm down, I'll see. Stay calm.

Although her look of hatred did not waver for a second, she stopped growling and sat down, obediently. Garrett quickly put on a pair of boxers and opened the door halfway, so that Astrea would remain hidden.

- What's this for ? He asked casually.

If the innkeeper was surprised by the welcome offered to him by a scantily clad Garrett, he showed nothing. The smell of his blood tickled the innkeeper's nostrils, but the vampire was surprised not to feel the usual thirst that accompanied him when a human was near. Perhaps because he had already drunk Astrea's blood ? Yet human blood, hungry or not, had always made him want to eat.

- You asked me for a room for the night, and now it's daytime. I have other customers, so you'll have to leave, sir. I'll give you thirty minutes. The man added as he turned away.

Garrett closed the door and checked his watch. Ten o'clock. They'd been hanging around longer than he'd thought. He turned to his companion, still sitting upright in bed. She hadn't moved an inch and was watching him intently.

Are you coming ? We have to go.

In a flash, the young woman jumped out of bed and into the arms of her companion. It was when she began to lick his jaw that Garrett had to force himself out of her embrace.

- Not now, honey. We have to go. Go get dressed.

Astrea pouted as the vampire put his clothes back on, all the while thinking about how they were going to leave the village. The young woman had to cooperate, and at the moment she didn't really seem to want to do anything. Looking at her, she reminded him of a wild animal, unable to reason. The only solution he could see at this point was to hope that Astrea would become herself again before they had to leave the inn. But how to do that ? Garrett would have pulled his hair out. A hand rested on his arm. He looked up. Astrea. She was watching him with a gentle gaze, her head cocked to one side. Her irises hadn't changed colour and yet Garrett felt like he was seeing his Astrea again.

I love you.

Like a light breath, the words slid into his mind, and clung to every particle of his body. The air was suspended for a few moments, then disappeared as quickly as it had arrived. The young woman left to get dressed, leaving a still slightly disturbed Garrett. 

♦♦♦

7:00 PM ~ Cullen House

Carlisle watched wistfully as the day began to fade. Eyes blank, he thought of his daughter. Where was she ? What had happened to her ?

Yesterday had been a day of many twists and turns. In the morning, a corpse had been found in the forest, drained of blood. The doctor had immediately understood what it was. But what vampire could have done this ? He was sure that it couldn't have been Garrett... So Astrea ? They had gone for a walk the same morning and had never returned. This situation plunged him into a frustrating perplexity. After a few checks, he had indeed smelled his daughter on the old man. Later, Edward had told him of his concerns about Garrett and Astrea. Carlisle still found it hard to believe that his friend would have bitten Astrea so suddenly. But if so, why ? The vampire had always assured him that he was able to control his thirst in Astrea's proximity, and Carlisle believed him. What had changed ? And their disappearance, abrupt and without explanation... It wasn't like his daughter, but unfortunately, it resembled the behavior of the loner. Garrett was used to leaving when he felt like it, without really caring to give valid explanations to those who stayed. Could he have convinced Astrea to come with him ?