Chapter Sixty-Five

Rosalie was silently observing the beings-that-be. And she did not like at all what she saw ; their happy faces did not tell her anything worthwhile. What were they both thinking ?

- Eh...

Emmett patted her on the hand, thinking she was over the moon.

- What are you thinking about ? He asked.

- That there are two of them here who will end up going it alone... She grumbled, pointing with her chin at Garrett and Astrea.

Emmett turned to the couple, who indeed, clearly seemed to have a precise idea in mind. Then, feeling watched, they turned their heads towards Rosalie and Emmett who were staring at them in silence.

- I don't like the look on both of your faces... Emmett began, raising an eyebrow.

Carlisle and Alice turned around at his remark, while the beings-that-be fired back in unison :

- What do you mean ?

- You're up to something, and you're not going to tell us about it. Accused Rosalie.

Astrea smiled, a mischievous look in the corner of her eyes.

- You're starting to know us well then. She said.

Rosalie opened her mouth to retort but Astrea was already not listening to her ; with a leap, she got up, Garrett on her heels, and she walked with determined steps towards the window, which she opened.

- I have a feeling of deja vu... Alice sighed, resigned.

- But what are you doing ? Choked the Wolf.

He started to move forward, but Astrea had already jumped out the window. Garrett did the same, without a backward glance.

- I bet they're going back there, commented Jasper.

- There's a good chance, Edward added, but why ?

Rosalie sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

- That, the only people who could answer you just ran away like thieves through the window. She answered.

Bella suddenly spoke up.

- Why don't they tell us anything ? Don't they trust us ? Yet Carlisle is Astrea's father, and Garrett knows you... I don't understand it.

A silence. No one knew what to say. Although still weakened, Carlisle answered Bella after a few minutes of reflection.

- You know, I don't think this has anything to do with trust. If what you said was true, they wouldn't have even come with us to the hospital. To tell you the truth, I think they've spent so much time just the two of them that they're used to working that way : making decisions together, and doing everything together. It had nothing to do with us. They didn't mean any harm just now, by not answering your questions ; it's just the way they do things. Besides, my Astrea has always been stubborn and narrow-minded. She wouldn't have liked it if we upset her plans if we didn't agree with their idea.

♦♦♦

- Please, this time, wait for me ! Garrett bellowed at Astrea.

Not surprisingly, the latter had taken the lead, and was running straight ahead. Upon hearing Garrett, she half-turned without slowing her pace.

- OK, but hurry up ! She threw to him over her shoulder.

Since he was still grumbling through his teeth, she finally offered him her hand ; the vampire took it, and the next second, he regretted not having kept quiet. As soon as their fingers had intertwined, the little vampire had suddenly picked up the tempo, nearly ripping his arm off in the process. His feet were touching the ground every other time, so much he couldn't follow the rhythm. With each step he nearly sprawled on the ground, and he couldn't speak. He had never been so fast in his life. And he absolutely did not like the feeling.

♦♦♦

Adam Lewis was pacing around the room, very angry. Two of the vampires had gone without a care in the world, out the window ! Again !

- Calm down, nothing will happen to them. They know how to manage. Said the little brunette whose name was Alice.

- You realize that one can accuse me to have let them escape while I was in the room ? He spat at her. In my opinion, no excuse will be accepted, knowing my boss !

He stopped dead in his tracks, and blew a big breath through his mouth to calm down. Even if this situation annoyed him, Alice was right on one point : he had to calm down.

Of course, it is at this moment that someone chose to knock at the door of the room. Everyone looked at each other, worried.

- Mister Lewis ? Are you there ? Said a female voice.

- Shit, he muttered, recognizing her.

He turned to the vampires.

- Above all, not a word, and you behave normally. He ordered, insisting on the last word.

- Not but you take to us for who ? Replied the blonde as annoyed as he was.

Emmett suddenly tugged on her sleeve, trying to calm her down. But she wasn't going to stop there, and let her anger out.

- That we're man-eating vampires who can't behave when a human is standing in the same room as us ? She hammered. We can already handle you well, so it can't get any worse, believe me !

Lewis took a step toward the vampire.

- What are you implying ?

- Please calm down, both of you. Emmett interjected without a hint of irony.

- I'm implying that you're a fucking werewolf, and that you'd better get back to your little chemist's lab before I kill you ! Rosalie said as she pulled away from Emmett who was still holding her by the sleeve.

The Wolf and the Vampire glared at each other, ready to come to blows.

- I guess you can't change in here, the blonde continued with a scornful look. So get out of here right away. Because if you don't, you're not going to beat me. Stinged again Rosalie showing her fangs.

- Even without turning into a wolf, I can beat you, Vampire. Responded Lewis, the look cold and full of hatred.

A thud sounded behind them. Rosalie looked behind Lewis' shoulder, surprised. Her eyes widened in an instant, and the Wolf turned, astonished by her reaction.

- You can't say I didn't warn you... Emmett commented with a sigh.

Standing in the doorway, wide open, was Gina Chapman, crouching on the floor to pick up the pile of loose papers and her pen, which she had just dropped.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!