Chapter Sixty-Six

Charlie couldn't be more angry ; first he was caught up in a situation he had to deal with alone, then no one could answer his questions about the mysterious woman who called herself the Holy Mother, and finally, when he got his hands on people who could answer his questions, they slipped through his fingers ! So when the walkie-talkie crackled and a shaky voice reached his ears, he couldn't help but be unpleasant.

- Chief ? The voice said timidly.

- What now ? He barked at the machine.

- You... You remember the people we evacuated from the park earlier ?

Charlie suddenly feared the worst.

- I don't like guessing, so hurry up and spit it out! he replied in the same tone.

- Well, two of them came back... And... And they went into the building... The policeman's voice stuttered.

The sheriff swore through his teeth. This day couldn't get any worse now !

- Who were they ?

- A man and a woman. She had long brown hair and she was very short compared to the man, who also had brown hair, almost red and half long.

Charlie stuffed the walkie-talkie into his pocket without answering. He suspected who would have had the stupid idea to come back here instead of staying quietly at the hospital in Forks : Astrée and Garrett without a doubt ! He had to go and straighten them both out, vampires or not! They had no reason to be here, and he was going to let them know. The sheriff then turned to the small group that was with him.

- Rogers, you take the lead. Take Sir with the staff, and keep watch with the others. I don't want the staff of this building to get away, too ; I'll get back to you later. he ordered.

The policeman nodded and took the lead. Charlie shifted to let them pass. He followed for a few moments the small troop which moved towards the room where the personnel were locked up, then he decided to join the floors. He already suspected where he would find the two vampires.

♦♦♦

Garrett ran a hand over his face.

While I especially don't have empathy for people I don't know, don't you think knocking them so violently against the wall was necessary ?

He asked his companion. The latter raised her head in his direction while he pointed to the two policemen lying on the floor, in the corridor in front of the office door. She shrugged her shoulders and almost immediately returned to her task.

They're not dead, and I had something else to do than make conversation.

That's an idea...

Well, are you going to come and help me or are you going to stand there and do nothing ?

No, I'll help you.

Garrett walked towards the shelves while AstreA rummaged through the desk and the floor littered with papers. Like everything else in the Holy Mother's office, the shelves were a mess. The vampire lifted the papers, taking quick glances at the diagrams and notes on the loose sheets. They were going to have to do some work before they found what they were looking for... With luck, the Holy Mother had filed her research on poisons in a single notebook or binder; if they were unlucky, the research was on loose sheets...

Garrett. I think I've got it.

Already ?

The vampire looked up at his fiancee. She was holding a very thick notebook in her fingers, with damaged edges. He approached her and read over her shoulder as she turned the pages furtively, looking for possible antidotes for Fugu's poison.

The small notebook was filled with diagrams, writings, and photos stuck or stapled together ; Garrett's eyes searched for any clue that might help them.

Here,

he said suddenly, putting his finger on a particular page. Astrea stopped dead in her tracks ; she leaned back slightly, concentrating on her reading.

You're right, it talks about antidotes... But not about Fugu's poison.

Maybe the page before or after ?

suggested the vampire. Furtively, Astrea turned the pages of the notebook. Not in front. But...

Fugu's poison ! Bingo !

The little vampire exclaimed as she turned to the next page. They both read the notes carefully, eager to find a way to help the two werewolves.

The two-page spread had no pictures. On the left side, a diagram filled the entire page and listed the components of the poison and its effects. On the right one, a long explanation was written at the top, and the bottom of the page had only words listed in bulk.

It looks like the Holy Mother knew that this poison could not kill vampires.

Astrea commented as she rested her index finger on the list of effects of the poison. Right next to "causes respiratory arrest in humans" was written "does not work on vampires".

Why would anyone believe that poisoned bullets could kill us if she couldn't find a deadly poison ?

Garrett asked with a frown.

To scare us ?

suggested the little vampire. But Garrett shook his head, not convinced.

Even if she looked completely crazy, I'm sure she wasn't doing anything randomly...

said the vampire, taking the small notebook in his hands. He turned the following pages, looking for clues that could answer his questions. Astrée returned to her search, looking in the other notebooks to see if there was any other information about poisons. Garrett listened with a distracted ear, turning the pages one by one. What was the point of loading weapons with poisoned bullets if the poison didn't work on those she was desperate to kill ? He paused for a few seconds on one page.

The Holy Mother has drugged you and Alice with arsenic.

he announced darkly. Astrea looked up at him.

Is that why we felt so bad ?

Yes. It says here that in small doses it can't kill you, but it's very effective for the rest.

That's not reassuring.

The little vampire went back to her research while Garrett nodded silently. He turned another page before stopping again, his eyes drawn to one word in particular.

Astrea...

What ?

I've found it.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!