Chapter Sixty-One

Charlie didn't know what decision to make. Leaning against the metal wall in the basement hallway, he considered his options. The other officers were waiting for his orders, chatting among themselves about what they had just seen in the death chamber. The sheriff listened to them with a distracted ear, tapping his index finger on his leg. What to do ? What would he normally do ? He was so confused that he didn't even know himself. His thoughts wandered to the woman in the white coat. This Holy Mother was mysterious, and completely crazy. The room was a good example. But why did she hate vampires so much ? So much so that she had no qualms about using them for scientific experiments ? How had she gotten there ? The sheriff stared at the wall across the street, in a state of tumultuous reflection ; what if knowing the whys and wherefores would help him find a solution ? What if knowing the intentions of this woman, what had driven her to commit her horrible crimes ?

A little hope made him raise his head towards the one who had led them here. Although he was only a staff member of the place, he must have met the Holy Mother. Perhaps he could lead him to a lead ?

Seeing that the sheriff was watching him, the little man met his eyes with an embarrassed look. Finally, he approached him with a few hesitant steps.

- I'd like to ask you some questions. Started the sheriff when the man stopped in front of him.

The latter nodded, fear in his eyes. Had he too done something horrible or was it just fear of being judged too quickly ? At first glance, he didn't seem like the type to kill or torture anyone. But what if he was forced to ?

- What can you tell me about this woman, who was called the Holy Mother ? Charlie asked in a conversational tone.

The little man frowned, thinking about the question.

- Well... I don't know much, to be quite honest. He stammered. We didn't see her much in the surveillance video room, it was more the boss, Mr. Elder, who supervised us and gave us orders.

- I see. But from what you saw, what can you tell me ? Did you get an impression when you saw her, or any idea of what kind of woman she was ? Charlie continued.

- From what I've always seen of her, she was a very bossy woman; no one ever dared to contradict her. She often led troops of soldiers, and she knew how to use weapons. Some people even said she had to do a few years in the army, but I don't know if that's true.

The sheriff nodded.

- Go on.

- From what I've seen on the surveillance cameras, she used to come here a lot. He pointed to the room with his chin. She could spend days in there, and no one would know what she was doing in there. There are no cameras in the... The death chamber, and the room is soundproof ; and when she reappeared, she didn't want anyone asking questions.

- You bet, the sheriff commented. And her assistants, the scientists in white coats, did they know about this ?

The little man in front of him wrung his hands, a little uncomfortably.

- I don't know. He said. No one was with her when she went into that room, so theoretically, they shouldn't know. But I'm not sure. Most of the time, they were in the main rooms in the basement, concocting lots of different liquids. Maybe they suspected what was going on without ever having seen it. He concluded with a shrug.

Charlie gave himself a few minutes to think. What the man said was still sensible, and he did not seem to be lying. It was necessary that he questioned the scientists, to see what he could draw from it. The woman's past seemed to be based on rumors, and it was clear that the staff didn't know much.

- One last question, he continued, do you know this woman's real name ? Or anyone who does ?

The little man shook his head, a reaction that did not surprise the sheriff.

- No, I don't know it. In fact, I don't think anyone knows it. Maybe Mr. Elder, but that's it. The Holy Mother was very mysterious and secretive about her personal life.

Which explains why she killed Andy Elder... The sheriff mused. He must be the one who knew the most about who the Blessed Mother was and what she clearly had in mind. Charlie crossed his arms, silent. One question nagged at him. Of all the people included in the Holy Mother's project, who was aware that the people she was tracking were vampires ?

♦♦♦

Silent, Smith's little troop made their way through the corridors on the sly to their exit door. As at the alley, the trip had gone well, and they had encountered very few police patrols. In just a few minutes, they would be outside, and able to reach the car that was waiting for them, parked in the shade of a tree. Everything was going perfectly, and Smith couldn't have wished for better. With a gesture, he signaled his men to follow him into the last corridor that led to the basement and to the emergency door. Their footsteps echoed on the metal floor, slow and steady as they approached the basement. Suddenly, a voice made them stop dead in their tracks.

- Are you sure it's shorter this way ?

Smith grumbled inwardly. Why now ?! They were so close ! A second voice, a little closer to them, answered the first one.

- Yes, this hallway leads directly to the top of the building and upstairs.

The little group had no place to hide. From the number of footsteps clacking on the floor, Smith gauged that there were as many as they were. But Smith didn't want to be spotted, and making an exit would send them on the run across the state, with the police and all the authorities on their heels.

- Hide the suitcase between you, he whispered over his shoulder. We'll stay together. Don't make any false moves, just stand still. Smith ordered as he resumed walking.

They did not have the choice, whatever it decides, they were condemned to cross the road of the patrol. Smith took a smooth, calm walk, as if they had every right to be here. With any luck, the patrol wouldn't ask too many questions, and would let them pass without a problem. This ruse had worked in the past, although the situation was very different.

When the patrol entered their field of vision, Smith did not slow down, but nodded in greeting.

- What are you doing here ? Grumbled one of the lead officers.

Too busy counting the number of cops in front of them, Smith didn't notice the sign on the belt of the one who had spoken. He stopped and casually shoved his hands into his pockets.

- We've been ordered to search the basement, if you need backup. We're from the police force in the small village next door, opposite your house. He explained calmly.

- Ah yes ? Replied the man. And who gave you the order ?

- Your sheriff. By telephone.

As he answered, Smith noticed the policeman's sign in front of him. The sheriff's sign, of course.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!