Chapter Ten

Astrea Cullen

I loved Garrett, but his grip was seriously starting to hurt, and I was perfectly capable of walking without him being afraid that I'd run the other way back to the house. Even though I really wanted to. It was getting dark and we had been walking all day without stopping once. The weirdest thing was probably that I didn't feel tired at all. Garrett had told me through his teeth that it was normal since I wasn't human anymore, but he hadn't said anything more. He was still confused by what he'd seen in the forest this morning, and had been very quiet since we left. Since then, he had been dragging me ungraciously, watching me out of the corner of his eye. I knew I couldn't even blame him for this behaviour, as I was a danger to everyone. A shiver ran down my spine as I thought about the feelings I had when I had become this monster capable of killing. I couldn't even think about anything; I just did it, as if it was so normal that I didn't need to think. Like when you breathe. You need it, but you don't think about it all the time.

This situation made me angry. I couldn't even sleep to forget... I didn't even know what I wanted or not. The terrified look in the old man's eyes wouldn't leave my skull, and kept me from getting my mind off it.

- Stop sighing at every step, Astrea. We'll find a solution.

Garrett's voice startled me. I glanced in his direction, and met his worried gaze.

- Garrett, I'm sorry about this morning, I...

He didn't let me finish my sentence, and took me in his arms and said :

- It's not your fault. If there's anyone at fault here, it's surely not you, but me.

- But...

- Astrea, I'm the vampire in the story, I know what a newborn can do ; I should have been more careful. Now we'll go to an inn for the night, and we'll decide what to do in the morning.

- If we don't need to sleep, why are we going to an inn ? I said, determined to get some concrete answers.

He looked at me, a smile in the corner of his eyes.

- I thought you wouldn't like to spend your first night as a newborn in a dark, gloomy forest.

- I'm not five anymore, your forest doesn't scare me. I replied, a little offended by the image he had of me.

- A bit of normality won't do you any harm, don't you think ? Come on, we're not far from the next village.

And without giving me time to say a word, he took me by the hand and continued on his way.

♦♦♦

They arrived at the inn a little over an hour after their conversation, and the vampire went to reserve a room for them while Astrea breathed in the night air. The bitter cold didn't even make her shiver, and the thought comforted her a little. At least one good thing.

Garrett poked his head through the door.

- Are you coming, honey ? We're lucky, there aren't many people here tonight.

It'll save me from killing someone else... The girl mused as she followed him inside.

They slalomed between the tables, climbed a staircase with irregular steps, went along a silent corridor lit by small lamps and landed in a small room with only a modest double bed, a small desk and a wardrobe. Once the door was locked, Garrett slumped onto the bed while Astrea began pacing the room.

- Please, relax a little, dear. His companion begged in a soft voice.

- I can't... She whispered, wringing her hands.