Chapter Fourty-Three

The Holy Mother carelessly put her free hand in the pocket of her blouse. When her fingers touched the weapon she had used earlier, her heart calmed a little. Since she had arrived by surprise, the police had forgotten to search her, allowing her to keep her weapon with her. She had to be ready for anything. Earlier, she had killed six soldiers without any trouble ; a few policemen and two vampires shouldn't pose any more complications.

- Sheriff, I want to make it clear that my intentions are not bad, the woman in the white coat said with a smile. On the contrary.

- You affirmed to me that the two missing women were mortal dangers ; however I know them a minimum to doubt your declaration. Riposta the man.

He had recovered a little after the truths he had just learned.

- They are dangers because they are vampires ; and you cannot deny that, declared the Holy Mother without losing her calm. I've spent my life researching them, and I've always come to the same conclusion : even if some of them, like these two, she clarified, pointing to the pair of vampires, don't look evil, most of them give in to their first impulse, which is to kill us humans ! You can ask Elder, as a director you may believe him more than a mad scientist ... She added slyly.

Elder paled instantly as the eyes turned to him.

- Is she telling the truth ? The sheriff asked. Are you with her ?

The warden swallowed with difficulty before speaking in an insecure voice.

- Well... I'm only financing this project. I didn't participate in any way, so I don't have an opinion on the matter.

- However, if you finance this famous project, you must be aware of what is being done and therefore, you must agree with the ideas of this woman. Noted one of the policemen.

The Holy Mother held back a giggle at the sight of her former associate. Your suit and tie seems to tighten you, my dear... She thought.

- I never participated in his experiments ! Exclaimed the director, under the effect of the pressure. I financed the project, but that is all. Nothing says that I agreed with his practices and his way of thinking.

- Why, then, would you agree to fund a project if you didn't even agree with her ? Cingled the sheriff.

The Holy Mother listened attentively and curiously ; Elder had never shared with her the reasons that had led him to join her. The latter's face twisted into a grimace of fury.

- I have my reasons ! He barked, while moving back of some steps.

He was beginning to tremble all over, his look of hatred glaring at the various people around him. The Holy Mother was not spared.

- It's all your fault ! He roared, pointing an accusing finger in her direction. If you had never set foot here, I would never have heard of you and your Machiavellian experiments !

- You ramble, my dear. Riposta she calmly.

Elder was making it very easy for her to act like an idiot.

- And for your information, she added, I never forced you to do anything. It was you who agreed to finance my project, as well as to participate in certain... Tasks.

- Lies ! Accused the director.

- Sir, calm down, intervened the sheriff. And you, Madam, shut up, you're not helping.

But she didn't intend to stop there. She took the floor again.

- In my office there is a file which comprises your agreement and your signature. Declared she. On the first page, it is clearly specified that you have agreed to finance and participate in the project. Then, the rest of the file includes all the tasks you have contributed throughout the project.

Elder's face broke down. Mouth agape at having been tricked so badly, he had no idea what to say. The sheriff watched them in turn. Finally, he sent one of his men to call the other policemen who had remained upstairs to search the building. When he turned back to the two former associates, he sighed, a little disconcerted by their reactions.

- Well, you're going to stay here, with two policemen to watch you. We'll come back for you later. He explained.

Silence answered him, and he went back the other way with the two vampires. Edward Cullen looked back in their direction one last time before deciding to follow the father and daughter into the basement tunnels.

- I wonder what's wrong with this one, the Holy Mother grumbled, thinking aloud.

Elder gave her a nasty look.

- Maybe he understood what a crazy woman you are and what a sadistic, Machiavellian bitch you are ? He proposed, spitting out almost every insult.

The woman snorted with contempt.

- I knew that you were an idiot Elder, but a kid I just learned it. She snapped without looking at him.

One of the policemen sighed and turned to them.

- Shut up, it would do everyone good, he said, annoyed.

The Holy Mother smiled politely, leaning wisely against the nearest wall. Satisfied, the policeman turned back to his colleague. Both of them with their backs to their prisoners, they exchanged low masses. It is sure that it is not every day that we meet Vampires and Werewolves... The Holy Mother thought while taking her weapon in hand. Elder noticed her gesture but couldn't make a move ; the woman in the white coat aimed at the two policemen and they both fell dead without being able to do anything. When she turned to her former partner, a toothy grin appeared on her face. She pointed her gun at him.

- Kill me and be done with it. Elder snapped.

- No, the Holy Mother simply replied, before pulling the trigger.

Elder fell to the ground with a grunt of pain. He held his right leg, blowing through his mouth. The woman laughed at this lapse of weakness. She walked towards him, victorious.

- Do not forget, I always win. She whispered in his ear before stepping aside.

Andy Elder lay down on the cold floor as the woman in the white coat disappeared into the darkness of the corridors.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!