Chapter Fifty-Three

Twenty minutes earlier~hospital lab

The blond man closed the door of the room impatiently, having just sent all the lab personnel out, leaving him alone with his brown colleague. The latter was leaning against a table, arms crossed over his chest.

- Mr. Lewis, I think you're going to have to explain some things to me. Started darkly the blond man by turning to his colleague.

Lewis gave him an enigmatic, humorless smile.

- What do you want to know, my dear Davis ?

The man named Davis approached his college, with hurried steps.

- Why is it that since we got this animal and the boy back, you seem to know more than you're letting on ?

The tone was tinged with annoyance, mixed with frustration at not knowing. Lewis looked at the blond man for a long time without saying anything, seeming to think about what to say. For a few minutes, only Davis' fingers tapping on the table surface broke the silence of the room.

Finally, Lewis decided to speak up.

- Indeed, I am hiding things from you. He admitted, his face impassive. But, he added, raising his hand to cut off his colleague who was about to reply. But it is for a good reason. If I told you the truth, I am persuaded that you will not believe me. It's quite complicated.

He paused, leaving the floor to Davis, who quickly replied.

- I assume this is about the Wolf ? You seemed to be well-informed when we spoke outside earlier. At first, I thought it was simple deduction on your part, but the more time passes, the more I wonder if I was right...

Davis moved away from his colleague to stand in front of the poison contained in three separate small cups, liquid that they had recovered from the poisoned bullets extracted from the two injured people and the animal.

- Lewis, he said, do you know what this is ? I've never seen this poison before.

- Neither have I, replied his colleague, approaching. I know some things, but I don't know everything. This is a strange story.

Davis nodded.

- We get three people, one injured, the other two completely drugged. They flee out the window without a care in the world, and the next few minutes, we are harassed by the police who ask us to treat a wolf and a young man, also wounded by bullets, and by the same poison... He summarized. It's weird, indeed.

- Moreover, it is not an ordinary poison. It was made from several components extracted from other poisons.

Davis glanced at the dark-haired man.

- Do you have any idea who might have made this poison ?

Lewis shook his head.

- All I know is about the injured people and the Wolf. But not why they're in this condition.

Davis frowned, racking his brain for what to do next. Finally, he straightened up and headed for the door.

- Come on, let's go see this Wolf. We have to make a decision.

- I have a decision, Lewis said, following his colleague, you have to leave me alone with him.

Davis stopped short, his hand on the handle.

- What for ? He asked, suspicious.

- You do not trust me or you are always so suspicious ? Retorted the dark-haired man.

- 'I'll think about it.

♦♦♦

Jacob sat back in a chair, stunned.

- How ?

He had regained the use of his mouth, and could finally speak normally. The brown doctor turned to him.

- I'm a werewolf too.

- Impossible, I would have known. Jacob decreed.

The dark-haired man glanced behind him, checking that the door was closed, then turned back to the two friends.

- It's because of the drugs. They're still having some effect. In a few hours you'll understand that I'm telling the truth ; but for now, you'd better convince your friend to change back into a human before someone comes along. He pointed to the Wolf.

He was lying on the ground on a blanket. His eyes half closed, he was following the discussion absentmindedly. Jacob turned to his friend. With a worried look in his eyes, he moved to the Wolf's head.

- Seth, you need to change. You need to use your last bit of strength, old man. He whispered.

The Wolf let out a small, barely audible whimper. Lewis turned back to the door, listening carefully, so they wouldn't be surprised if someone came into the room without warning. He dipped his right hand into his pocket, and clutched the medicine he had brought with him. When Seth became human again, he would be very weak, having used his strength to change. He would have to act quickly and precisely, to get the young man to swallow the medicine before he fell into a comatose sleep.

When the doctor heard the change and Jacob's shout of victory, he turned around at once, and hurriedly gave instructions.

- Jacob, he needs to take this medicine. Help me. He explained hurriedly, showing the pills in his palm.

The young man nodded as he supported his friend. Together they managed to move him to the bed at the back of the room.

- Well done. Your friend is out of danger now. The medicine will take effect, and he will wake up in a few hours.

- What about his wound ? Jacob asked, his eyes fixed on Seth.

- It was disinfected and healed when he was a wolf. It needs to heal now. Lewis reassured him by putting a reassuring hand on Jacob's shoulder.

They remained silent for a few seconds, before Jacob spoke again.

- I'll stay with him.

Lewis nodded.

- I hope so. He's going to need a friend until he's fully recovered.

- What about you ?

The abrupt question confused the doctor.

- What about me ?

- Where's your pack ? Jacob explained matter-of-factly.

Lewis took a deep breath. Uneasy, he turned back to the door.

- It's a long story. He murmured before escaping from the room.

The door closed gently, leaving the two werewolves alone.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!