Chapter Fourty-Four

The trio walked in silence. Each was deep in thought. Their footsteps echoed in the corridors, dimly lit by Charlie's flashlight.

- This Holy Mother is very dangerous. Edward suddenly announced. Don't believe anything she tells you, Charlie.

The sheriff glanced over his shoulder.

- But she was right about one thing. He observed.

- But she only makes half-truths. Objected his interlocutor. She wants to exterminate every last vampire, no matter if they chose to become something other than the evil creatures she described.

- Dad, Bella interjected, Edward has good reason to say that.

The sheriff stopped short.

- What do you mean ?

Edward was blunt.

- Some vampires have unique abilities. I can read the minds of others.

Charlie almost choked on his spit. He turned to Edward, an unreadable look in his eyes. It was obvious he didn't believe him.

- Think of something, Edward offered. Anything at all. And I'll tell you what you thought of.

- I'll tell you what I thought. Agreed the sheriff, determined to be right.

Silence filled the dark hallway. Bella watched them in turn, reluctant to interrupt. They didn't have time to play guessing games ! They had to search the basement from top to bottom to make sure that other vampires weren't trapped there, too. In what state could they find them ? Except that the young woman knew for sure that there was no other way for her father to believe them. After a few minutes, Edward finally declared to Charlie's amazed look :

- Very nice dog ; a golden retriever, isn't it ? And the little boy next to him, is that you ?

- Let's keep going, grumbled Charlie as he resumed walking.

The couple exchanged amused looks. Bella was reassured that her father was taking the situation so well. Suddenly the ringing of her phone startled them.

- It's the hospital, she announced to the other two as she recognized the number on the screen.

She hurriedly picked up the phone.

- Yes, she said.

A male voice answered her.

- Miss Isabella Cullen ?

- It is me. What's the matter ?

- A few hours ago, your mother and a sister came to bring us two other members of your family and a friend of yours. They gave us your number in case there was a problem, and it turns out we have a big one.

- Wait, interrupted Bella, what are the names of these three people ?

- Alice Cullen, Astrea Cullen and a certain Garrett.

The vampire's eyes opened wide.

- Are they okay ?!

- Physically better. Confirmed the doctor on the other end of the line. But they've escaped through their bedroom window.

- Escaped ? Choked the young woman.

The two men in front of her were watching her with concern.

- Yes, and unfortunately nobody saw them. We don't know where they went.

- We don't know where they went. Thank you.

Bella hung up, and looked back at Edward and Charlie.

- Alice, Astrea and Garrett have run away from the hospital. She told them matter-of-factly.

- What ?! But where to ? Charlie exclaimed.

Then he frowned.

- They are vampires, right ?

The couple confirmed with a nod.

- They're coming back here, aren't they ? Edward asked, coming to the same conclusion as his wife.

- But why ? Asked the sheriff, completely overwhelmed.

The two vampires looked at each other with concern.

- Esme and Rosalie must not have given your number at random. He began.

- Because they thought we would have stayed in Forks.

- That means they're coming back here, too. Edward continued. But I don't see Alice leaving through a hospital window.

- I can see Astrea or Garrett doing it. Bella grimaced. Alice must have followed them.

- But why ? Intervened Charlie who had followed their exchange.

A moment. The two vampires thought.

- When did we last hear from the boys ? Bella suddenly worried.

Edward turned to her in horror.

- For too long. He said.

- And it's just like Astrea to come to her father's rescue. Bella added.

- So you think Carlisle and his sons are here. The sheriff thought darkly. Besides, are they his real sons or...

- Later. Decided the couple as they headed for the only room they had failed to open.

The sheriff had a hard time keeping up with them because the pace was so fast.

♦♦♦

- Emmett, do you think you can call someone ? Jasper asked.

His voice was barely audible. He would have liked to join his other two companions, but the pain pinned him in place. Emmett had been hit in the leg, as had he ; and Carlisle in the stomach. The doctor seemed to be the most affected by the bullet's impact. Sitting on his knees, he held his stomach with both hands. His teeth clenched, his face tight with pain, he couldn't open his eyes and was unable to respond to his two adopted sons.

- My phone is completely dead. The fall earlier didn't do it any good. Emmett grumbled after trying to reach someone.

The two vampires exchanged worried looks. What to do ? Only Emmett had his phone with him ; he and Carlisle had lost theirs in their attempt to escape. Jasper bowed his head in defeat. There were no quick fixes. They didn't even have the strength to move or scream to warn someone. The silence in the room was heavy, the smell of the corpses was becoming unbearable ; the sticky brown liquid was sticking to their clothes. Jasper thought of Alice. At least she's safe, he reassured himself. He clung to the image of her face, and closed his eyes to make it clearer. He remembered the good memories they had shared, their adventures, their doubts, their sorrows, their joys...

A deafening noise resounded in the room, making him jump. Eyes wide open, he struggled to sit up, looking for a hold to help him. Finding only emptiness, he gave up the idea and lay on the floor. It didn't matter who came now ; they were going to die from the poison in the bullets. Although the noise continued unabated, he closed his eyes again, face to face with his Alice.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!