Chapter Fourty-Two

Charlie looked up at Edward just as Bella removed her hand from his arm where she had been holding on.

- You too, huh ? Said the sheriff to the boy.

The latter understood the indirect question and nodded, on the reserve. Charlie stepped back from his daughter, breathing shallowly. His head was spinning ; even when Jacob had turned into a wolf in front of him, he hadn't been so... Bad. Bella a vampire ? The idea seemed totally absurd to him. Yet what this woman, this Holy Mother, was telling him wasn't completely untrue ; Bella had changed dramatically since that strange illness that had lasted for several months after her return from her honeymoon.

- You've never been sick, have you ? He finally asked, in the direction of his daughter.

The latter remained forbidden a few seconds before turning her head towards Edward, hesitating. He encouraged her with a nod, and when she turned back to him, she seemed a little more confident. She walked over to him, and took him by the hands.

- No, she didn't. It's a little more complicated than you think. Answered Bella. I didn't want to worry you.

- Well, now I'm worried, he grumbled.

His hands trembled between those of his daughter.

- You don't have to be, I'm fine, really.

- So it's true ? You're... A...

Unable to say the last word out loud, he gestured with his hands.

- Vampire. Bella calmly completed. I am a vampire.

- And so is Edward... The whole Cullen family ?

- The whole Cullen family, confirmed the young woman.

Charlie sighed to get rid of the information overload. He did not know what to think. Around him, his men were whispering among themselves, showing worried faces.

- Dad, his daughter said, taking his hands again to force him to look at her, why don't we talk about this later ? We still don't know where the girls are...

This remark calmed him down. He had to concentrate on his mission. Bella was still his daughter, whatever she was. A cough behind him decided him. He took a deep breath and turned to the Holy Mother and Andy Elder, a new glint in his eye.

♦♦♦

Holy Mother held back a sigh of exasperation. That damned creature had completely screwed up her plan ! If she hadn't intervened at that very moment, she could have easily bamboozled the sheriff, turning him against Elder and the vampires. Her plan could have been carried out, in broad daylight and with all the help she could get. Why had the two monsters arrived just then ? She was enraged. What to do now ? The Holy Mother was convinced that the sheriff was of no use to her now : no matter what she said, he would always believe his daughter before she did. There was no point in relying on Elder either ; that jerk thought he could get the better of her by giving orders the opposite of those she had given him. Except that he was far too far-sighted, and the Holy Mother had known in advance that he wasn't going to obey her ; so what better way than to order the opposite of what she wanted ? She had to play her last trump card, which was to show her good will, her desire to save humanity. And if possible, to sink Elder and his cursed park, which had only brought her trouble.

She then took a few measured steps forward, clearing her throat to attract the sheriff's attention. The latter turned towards her with a wary eye.

- Excuse me ? She said. I do not want to interrupt you, but I have some information which could be useful to you.

- Go ahead, dropped his interlocutor by squinting the eyes.

It was surely to be surprised that it is also cooperative. Knowing she was being watched by two vampires and armed police, she took special care in choosing her words.

- When I arrived earlier, you were asking my colleague where the two missing vampires were. It turns out that these two women ran away.

- Escaped ? Exclaimed the vampire, standing next to her father.

The Holy Mother looked at him with a scornful look.

- Are you saying I'm lying ? She snarled, haughtily.

Bella Cullen frowned and her gaze shifted to the vampire beside her. The Holy Mother did the same, having noticed that the vampire had been doing this since their arrival. Edward Cullen nodded in her direction, answering a silent question. There was something fishy about the way she was behaving, the Holy Mother would have put her money where her mouth was !

- You're telling us that the two young women ran away... The sheriff replied, placing a reassuring hand on his daughter's shoulder, since when ?

The Holy Mother took the time to think.

- Well, it must be a good hour now...

- An hour ?! Choked the sheriff. Are you kidding me ?

Before the woman had opened her mouth to calmly reply that she wasn't planning to lie, the vampire beat her to it, catching her off guard.

- She is telling the truth ; believe me.

A more than unexpected help, which disconcerted the Holy Mother. The sheriff was also surprised, forbidden for a moment.

- And... Where did you get that from ? He asked.

- It's complicated to explain at the moment. Why don't we postpone this discussion ? Edward Cullen dodged.

The Holy Mother snorted with contempt. Something was wrong, and the vampires didn't want her to know about it. And by the look on the sheriff's face, he'd come to the same conclusion she had.

♦♦♦

A few minutes earlier...

Emmett reopened the eyes he had instinctively closed when the three blasts had echoed through the room. He was surprised that he was still alive. He turned his head toward Carlisle and Jasper, still stunned, as he heard bodies fall heavily to the floor. Around him, the six soldiers they were formerly assigned to were on the ground, dead. They each had a bullet between their eyes, and blood stood out against the pristine white ground. Carlisle watched them for a few moments, disgust in his eyes. Jasper was already glaring at the woman in the white coat.

- You shoot with amazing accuracy, Jasper commented sharply to the woman, breaking the silence that had slyly settled in.

The woman's icy laugh made Emmett shiver. What was she going to do to them after that ?

- I was trained with the best. She replied.

Emmett frowned. He hadn't seen how she managed to kill six soldiers with only three bullets, but he didn't doubt her statement for a moment. Before he could say anything else, three more shots rang out in his ears. But how can she be faster than us ? thought the vampire.

Suddenly a stabbing pain in his leg forced him to his knees. Breathing heavily from the pain, he could see that Carlisle and Jasper had been hit as well.

The doctor was forced to lie down between two dead bodies, gritting his teeth. The bullet had hit him right in the stomach. Why doesn't it kill us ?! Why ?

Footsteps came closer to him, and he raised his head weakly.

- Why ? He said in a breath.

The woman's smile widened wickedly.

- Because I want to see you suffer. You do not deserve a soft death. She asserted to him.

On this, she turned the heels, leaving him agonizing on the ground. He heard the slamming of the metal door, then a slight beep, proof that the Holy Mother had just locked them in a tomb of white and red.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!