Chapter Twenty-Five

What to do ? As Alice had just pointed out, they were surrounded, by soldiers who were used to using a weapon as well. Astrea planted her two feet firmly in the ground, to be ready to fight or dodge bullets. The woman, who was standing a few feet in front of her, was armed with a different gun than the others. The little red-eyed vampire was watching her, suspicious ; she sensed that Alice had noticed the same thing she had and was watching her, too.

Her doctor-like attire gave her the creeps. What did it all mean ? The woman took a step forward, causing Astrea to growl with menace.

- I wouldn't go any further if I were you. Said Alice.

The woman gave her a toothy smile, replying in a neutral tone.

- But I am not you, my dear.

Her deep, dry voice startled the two vampires, who stiffened.

- And I advise you to be quiet, the woman continued. Perhaps you managed to get past the few soldiers we sent you, however, the situation is now more than different. You have a small army of soldiers in front of you, pointing their weapons at you. One wrong move and you will be riddled with bullets. Can you dodge them all ?

Alice gritted her teeth. The woman was right, and knew exactly who she was dealing with. She glanced at her sister, who had a grimace of disgust. She had to make a decision. To risk her life by throwing herself into the mass or to surrender ? It was obvious that Astrea would have preferred the first option, even if Alice doubted that they would succeed. Except that she was not the kind of person who would let herself be taken without saying anything ; surrendering was too simple for her taste.

- What do you want us ? Risked she in direction of their interlocutor.

- For the moment, that you return without protesting. Then, we will see.

- That is to say ?

- All will depend on your cooperation. Decreed the woman in white coat.

The cold, dry tone made Alice realize that she had better keep her mouth shut, which she did with reluctance. Seeing that the two vampires had decided to cooperate, she raised her free hand. Two soldiers came out from behind her, and stepped forward, still holding the two vampires at gunpoint.

- The slightest move and you're dead, got it ? These bullets were created for the sole purpose of destroying you, and none of these soldiers will hesitate to shoot you. The woman informed them with a nonchalant air.

Her remark confirmed Alice's assumptions. These people knew exactly who they were dealing with.

♦♦♦

Garrett looked up at the forest, the cool air coming in through the open window. He closed his eyes, squeezing Astrea' jacket a little tighter between his fingers. What was she doing right now ? He ran his fingers over the leather, worn by time. Astrea loved this jacket ; she wore it all the time. And he had found it on the passenger seat of the car, as if abandoned. Something bad had happened. Something that even Astrea Cullen had not been able to counter. He had thought he was invincible until then... No matter how much he turned the situation over in his head, he could not see any logical explanation. If someone had wanted to beat them, Astrea would have had the advantage without any problem. Even vampires could not match her strength. So what ? Who ? And this jacket, his jacket, left to rot. Nothing made sense.

When he had discovered it, Garrett hadn't even been able to say a word. All his anger had evaporated, and he had simply remained to observe the brown leather garment. If Carlisle hadn't snapped him out of his trance and taken him back to the Cullen's, he would have stayed that way for a long time.

Jacob and the other werewolves had gone into the forest, looking for a trail that might lead them to the girls. Meanwhile, the vampires had nothing to do. Carlisle and Esme had taken Garrett home while the others had gone to warn Edward and Bella. And since then, Garrett had been in the guest room, brooding. He had opened the window, closed the window, spun around, thrown everything he could against the walls, opened the window again, screamed his rage, and now he was completely drained. A first, when vampires couldn't feel the fatigue. Yet that's how he felt. He felt empty. He opened his eyelids again. He stroked the garment, thinking.

Where are you, dear ?

Only silence answered him. 

♦♦♦

They had been drugged again. And this time they had come for them, but couldn't even defend themselves. With at least forty lethal weapons pointed at them, the choice had not been very difficult. Cooperation was the only solution if they wanted to survive a little longer. For Astrea was increasingly afraid of their death. Humans capable of building weapons that could kill them, the vampires ; inventing a product capable of drugging them... She had never heard of that. How long had they been watching vampires ? Did they know about werewolves too ? She thought of the others who had stayed in Forks. Had they noticed their disappearance ? Possibly, although she had no idea how long they had been captive. She wondered how many hours their product could take effect. This situation worried her to no end. Not since she had transformed had she felt as much fear as she did at that moment.

♦♦♦

- It's going to be dark soon. Carlisle commented, his gaze fixed on the outside.

He stood in front of the large bay window, Esme at his side. Without a word she laid a comforting hand on his shoulder.

- We'll find them. Jacob and his pack will find something, I'm sure.

She was worried too. This whole situation was strange. Who could capture two vampires so easily, with the utmost discretion ? At the police station, they hadn't succeeded at anything. No witnesses, no one had come forward, except for the various stores the girls had visited earlier in the morning. Lost in her thoughts, Esme was startled when her husband abruptly tore himself away from her embrace, hurrying towards the front door.

- Jacob has returned. He explained.

She followed him, keeping her fingers crossed that Jacob would bring good news. The young man didn't even bother to enter the house, and explained the situation to them right away.

- We had a hard time, but I think we found a lead. At the moment, the others are trying to follow it, but we don't know if it will lead us straight to the girls. Personally, I think it's a little too simple.

Carlisle nodded his head in agreement. He motioned for her to continue.

- I took a detour on the way back. Since you left me the keys to Alice's car, I went to look around, to see if we forgot anything.

- And ? Pressed the doctor.

- Given the smell, one of the two used this pencil before being taken away. Declared the Werewolf while brandishing a red marker.

- It's Alice's, said Esme. I saw her use it before she left this morning. She used it to make a little shopping list.

Her remark piqued Carlisle's interest.

- Did you find the list ?

- It was a piece of paper, white and squared. Esme added, full of hope.

But the Werewolf shook his head with a sorry grimace.

- Alice is much too clever to let herself be fooled without doing anything. Carlisle said thoughtfully. If those people who kidnapped them have been watching us for a long time, they know that Astrea is the more dangerous of the two. So they must have neutralized her first.

- Then Alice could have had time to write something. Completed his wife.

A silence.

- Yes, but where is the paper ? Jacob asked, asking everyone's silent question.

Suddenly Esme and Carlisle raised their heads at the same time. They exchanged a glance.

- The jacket... Murmured the doctor as he rushed upstairs.

♦♦♦

A new chapter every two days from ten o'clock (French time)!